Caribou Gear

Seeth's unexpected FULL fall of "good" hunts

So lots to share but with little reception at camp I wasn't able to do a recap last night. Got a brief moment here this morning while we are glassing elk. And that means we didn't get one last night. She had two 5x5 bulls, one with crazy long fronts, like probably 24 inches on them, within 20 yards. The big guy did what big guys do and kept him and his cows ahead of us. We learned that in this area we are actually hunting about 100 or so total elk with at least 30 to 40 bulls. It was hard to keep track of them. There is at least 3, maybe more, that my wife isn't going to hesitate flinging an arrow yet. The experience yesterday got her nerves calmed now a bit which is good.

Well someone just drove down a two track to check out these elk and drove right on by them screwing up our stack out on them bedded. Fun
Those are highly visible elk. Expect that to get worse as the weekend approaches.

So while we all nap and wait here, I can recap a bit what exactly happened last night. We spotted two groups of elk each with a really good bull in it. The one group favored better for a stalk based on terrain and wind. We got down in very close to them before making eye contact with them again. 150 yards actually and that is where my last post from last night happened. We spotted the good bull but due to wind felt we needed to circle a little bit before trying to approach closer.

We circled and ended up on a slight knob. Gaining 15 feet of elevation is huge in this flat terrain and could spot a lot of elk from here. The big bull was pushing his cows to the south and we were to the north of him. Wind good now blowing from the southwest. I decide to stick put and my wife and my cousin begin to chase. They got about 300 yards away and I think the herd bull had actually gained on them, he was moving faster than they were.

I think they decided to call a bit because all of a sudden I see this bull come charging at them from the east. It's a 5x5 or so, gets pretty close and then runs north with some cows. Turns out he did get close, 21 yards per my wife.

Next, all of a sudden I see a bunch of elk get up just ahead of where they are walking. A small 5x5 ends up coming by them and my wife is able to take a bunch of photos and videos as he kept going back and forth in front of them multiple times under 20 yards. Pretty neat to see this all unfold from 500 yards away.

They never caught up with the herd bull

My wife has decided to try and army crawl the 400 yards between us and the herd bull. He is bedded closest to us to make that potentially possible. We are staying back and letting her go solo
A woman on a mission!!

Back