Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Seeing red over WY "coyote whacking."

I don't think you have to be a high horse hunter to be repulsed by that crap. My horse is only around 15 hands.
You have to be a high horse hunter to claim to ensure equal treatment of all animals.

Do those same people freak out when prairie dog towns are poisoned?
Or when fish are left to suffocate slowly on a bank instead of being quickly dispatched?
Does the Aussie freak out and call everyone a POS when millions of kangaroos are shot at night and left to suffer/die?
Do these same guys run over a snake/turtle/prairie dog in the road and then go back to check and make sure it's not suffering?
Use a have a heart trap for mice?

If you don't like animals being tortured then focus on that aspect as attempt to criminalize a rancher trying to run over a coyote with his truck while out feeding are never going to pass. Never, no matter how mad you get, no matter how many names you call people, it won't pass. That's why the bills never go anywhere.

I also am not a fan of animals being tortured and would get upset watching that as well, but I am not going to suggest criminalizing all situations where a vehicle is used to run over a animal as a solution. That's not how you fix problems.

Makes about as much sense as banning guns because a few people do stupid stuff with them.

Some of you need to let your emotions calm down and think with a level head. Going the millennial route and boycotting a state while insulting anyone who feels differently is not going to fix this problem no matter how emotional you get, names you call people, etc... But it is entertaining.

Criminalizing any person who purposely drives a vehicle over an animal will never pass. That criminalizes every person who runs over a snake, coyote, or prairie dog in the road on purpose. You need to find a way to focus on just the people torturing animals and then there will likely be wide spread support. That is my suggestion if you are really wanting to try and change laws in WY and MT. But if you all prefer to boycott Montana and Wyoming over this and tell others how to treat all animals equally then so be it. Both states will be just fine either way.

I don’t really associate killing coyotes, which is predator control of a non game animal with hunting.
The purpose of killing coyotes is to kill them.

For example I’ve shot dozens out the window of a pickup because the purpose was to kill them. It wasn’t to go on some noble and challenging hunt to procure meat.

I don’t think anybody should let an animal suffer ever but I don’t see the problem in a rancher running a coyote down with a sled and then shooting it. It’s NOT hunting, and I don’t think they consider it hunting. It’s just an effective way to kill coyotes in the winter. Putting videos of it on YouTube is a BAD idea though.

I can’t think of their last name off the top of my head but there are some white ranchers on the crow res that have a helicopter and some YouTube videos . They kill coyotes.

Criminalizing any person who purposely drives a vehicle over an animal will never pass. That criminalizes every person who runs over a snake, coyote, or prairie dog in the road on purpose.

Just as for lots of types of predator hunting/trapping it's just a matter of time. I have a feeling I will see most if not all predator hunting disappear within my lifetime. I bet spot and stalk black bear hunting and coyote calling/hunting hold out the longest.

You have to be a high horse hunter to claim to ensure equal treatment of all animals.

Do those same people freak out when prairie dog towns are poisoned?
Or when fish are left to suffocate slowly on a bank instead of being quickly dispatched?
Does the Aussie freak out and call everyone a POS when millions of kangaroos are shot at night and left to suffer/die?
Do these same guys run over a snake/turtle/prairie dog in the road and then go back to check and make sure it's not suffering?
Use a have a heart trap for mice?

If you don't like animals being tortured then focus on that aspect as attempt to criminalize a rancher trying to run over a coyote with his truck while out feeding are never going to pass. Never, no matter how mad you get, no matter how many names you call people, it won't pass. That's why the bills never go anywhere.

I also am not a fan of animals being tortured and would get upset watching that as well, but I am not going to suggest criminalizing all situations where a vehicle is used to run over a animal as a solution. That's not how you fix problems.

Makes about as much sense as banning guns because a few people do stupid stuff with them.

Some of you need to let your emotions calm down and think with a level head. Going the millennial route and boycotting a state while insulting anyone who feels differently is not going to fix this problem no matter how emotional you get, names you call people, etc... But it is entertaining.

Criminalizing any person who purposely drives a vehicle over an animal will never pass. That criminalizes every person who runs over a snake, coyote, or prairie dog in the road on purpose. You need to find a way to focus on just the people torturing animals and then there will likely be wide spread support. That is my suggestion if you are really wanting to try and change laws in WY and MT. But if you all prefer to boycott Montana and Wyoming over this and tell others how to treat all animals equally then so be it. Both states will be just fine either way.

Do you think the ability to run over coyotes has even a marginal effect on their overall population?

If you’re such a freedom fighter for killing native wildlife, I’d love to get see the kinda energy you have for feral horses.

Not at all. Just don't need folks from California and Colorado telling us that a rancher who is out checking calves and tries to run over a coyote with his truck in Wyoming is a criminal.
The comments are hilarious though. Never thought I would hear a hunter say he stopped shooting coyotes because he likes the sound the make at night. Or that someone tracked a coyote for 6 hours to make sure it was not suffering. High horse hunters who claim to treat all animals the same from mouse to moose.
Never once did I say a rancher is a criminal for running down and over a coyote. I just said I wouldn’t do it. Also you are damn right I did because not only is that money lost on a pelt but me as an all around ethical hunter will do whatever I can(no matter what I’m hunting) to make sure that animal expires. Like I said before I hunt a lot for cattle ranchers and never needed to run one down in a vehicle when I can just shoot it. Agree to disagree.

Just as for lots of types of predator hunting/trapping it's just a matter of time. I have a feeling I will see most if not all predator hunting disappear within my lifetime. I bet spot and stalk black bear hunting and coyote calling/hunting hold out the longest.

I doubt it. We have gotten soft as a society the last few decades but the predators are starting to have a lot of human interaction in recent years and I think at some point the toleration level will go back to the levels of our great grandparents. Right now is the most wild this country has been in decades. Bear attacks are very common, wolves range is expanding, and coyotes are adapting to urban life more than ever.

I doubt it. We have gotten soft as a society the last few decades but the predators are starting to have a lot of human interaction in recent years and I think at some point the toleration level will go back to the levels of our great grandparents. Right now is the most wild this country has been in decades. Bear attacks are very common, wolves range is expanding, and coyotes are adapting to urban life more than ever.

Oh predators will be killed it will just be done by gov employees. I think you are way underestimating the effects of population growth on the west.

Do you think the ability to run over coyotes has even a marginal effect on their overall population?

If you’re such a freedom fighter for killing native wildlife, I’d love to get see the kinda energy you have for feral horses.
From what I can tell nothing people do has much effect on coyote populations. Do you think running coyotes over has an effect on populations?

LOL. You think I am a freedom fighter because I don't want to criminalize running over snakes, prairie dogs, and coyotes. That's classic right there.

Good grief you are emotional. But as always you are entitled to your opinion.

What do you think the punishment should be for a rancher who purposely runs over a coyote? Prison time?

Oh predators will be killed it will just be done by gov employees. I think you are way underestimating the effects of population growth on the west.
I never made any statements about population growth in the west. But nice try.

Coyotes are not just a problem in the West. South Carolina has a major problem to the point of putting a country on them.
https://www.ajc.com/news/national/l...lacing-bounty-coyotes/rkrDLIdGeXJWGvqSCfkbSJ/

Government is not going to be effective at managing coyotes. But if you believe they are you are entitled to your opinion.

What do you think the punishment should be for a guy who purposely runs over a coyote? I look forward to your long and detailed response.

Never once did I say a rancher is a criminal for running down and over a coyote. I just said I wouldn’t do it. Also you are damn right I did because not only is that money lost on a pelt but me as an all around ethical hunter will do whatever I can(no matter what I’m hunting) to make sure that animal expires. Like I said before I hunt a lot for cattle ranchers and never needed to run one down in a vehicle when I can just shoot it. Agree to disagree.
What are we disagreeing about?

We both agree that a rancher running over a coyote is not a criminal. Which means we don't want to see a law making that a criminal act. So in reality we completely agree.

I never made any statements about population growth in the west. But nice try.

Man, I'm in full agreement with you on pretty much everything we are talking about here, just with more nuance. All that I am saying is that the west is rapidly growing, the influx is predominately from urban areas and not from rural. Urban residents tend to be disconnected from rural practices, and tend to take a dim view on predator management by hunters, see California lion hunting, Colorado trapping, Colorado spring bear, proposed trap ban in Montana.

No, gov management is not effective, predators do and should be managed, and hunters should be the ones doing it... but to the points of many on this thread, this particular method has incredibly bad optics and is the kinda of thing that will only fuel the fire of anti hunters.

Last edited:
I liken this kind of behavior as something 12-16 year old kids would do, humans that haven't quite developed mentally.

I used to think it was fun to shoot ground squirrels and prairie dogs too when I was that age...did it a lot. I remember the last time I shot a prairie dog was 18 years ago. A friend wanted to go, so I went. I took my 22-250 out, shot 3 times, killed all 3 and would have rather watched paint dry than shoot another. Put it up and was done...as in done, forever done. I can say for certain, I'll never shoot another one, but don't care if others do. I still find it pretty strange, IMO, for 40-50-60 year old men to be out whacking prairie dogs all day though. I guess I just don't see the point.

Same with running over a coyote, prairie dog, etc. with a truck, sled, etc. Just don't see the point. I'll pump the brakes to avoid hitting prairie dogs on the highway if its safe to do so, same with rabbits, turtles, etc. Just cant find the sense it would ever make (safety being the exception) to intentionally hit an animal of any kind.

I don't know, maybe just getting soft in my old age, but running over coyotes with a sled as in those videos, is just dumb. There is no justification and its not right...saving fawns, ranchers livestock...just lame excuses for childish behavior.

If a person is going to kill coyotes, do it the right way. There's a difference...and its intuitively obvious to even the most casual observer.

What are we disagreeing about?

We both agree that a rancher running over a coyote is not a criminal. Which means we don't want to see a law making that a criminal act. So in reality we completely agree.
Disagreeing that I’m not some guy from California trying to tell WY ranchers they are criminals. Just sharing my opinion that I wouldn’t do it when I could just shoot them. Agree to agree then lol

But aren’t these guys doing this with ranchers in their hearts and minds?????
It couldn’t possibly be that they’re doing it because they are weird and autistic and it makes them feel good.
I don't think autism has anything to do with it.

However, I understand people chasing coyotes away from livestock and I don't believe that should be criminalized. Ive chased dogs away from cattle in an attempt to kill them on two occasions. I didn't have a firearm with me at the time or certainly would have used it. The ebaums video is something else entirely it seems. The motivation may be similar but it is difficult to watch.

Last edited:
I don't think autism has anything to do with it. YTA for implying it does.

However, I understand people chasing coyotes away from livestock and I don't believe that should be criminalized. Ive chased dogs away from cattle in an attempt to kill them on two occasions. I didn't have a firearm with me at the time or certainly would have used it. The ebaums video is something else entirely it seems. The motivation may be similar but it is difficult to watch.

Not sure I’d go as far to say I’m an a-hole but you’re right, I should have used better language.

From what I can tell nothing people do has much effect on coyote populations. Do you think running coyotes over has an effect on populations?

LOL. You think I am a freedom fighter because I don't want to criminalize running over snakes, prairie dogs, and coyotes. That's classic right there.

Good grief you are emotional. But as always you are entitled to your opinion.

What do you think the punishment should be for a rancher who purposely runs over a coyote? Prison time?

Dude... the only people displaying emotion in this thread are you and the OP. I promise you I could not care less about a few more dead coyotes.

My question is, if you admit it has no effect on the population, what purpose does it serve to kill an animal in such a cruel fashion? I’m simply calling out the pleasure people derive from doing that kind of thing. Should it be illegal? I’m not sure.

I doubt there’s that many people willing to tear up a pickup rather than just to shoot. My family had cattle growing up and yes coyotes are a huge nuisance. And it is quite sad to see a baby calf all torn up by coyotes, however my grandfather and father taught me to be a good steward of the land we used farming and raising livestock. And part of that means dealing with coyotes at least in a humane manner, don’t get me wrong I’ll shoot them from the pickup or tractor till the cows come home.But I can’t see any enjoyment in purposely running one over or shooting it to wound it. I don’t see a point in changing any laws though, at the end of the day people will do what they think is right.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back