Second time for this marine

tarheel

Back in September I posted a thread about my cousin recently back from Afghanistan. Well, he went back three weeks ago and has already had an IED go off under his new V bottomed Hummer. Week in the hospital with concussion and severe migraines, but already back in the field. Too bad that our military experts couldn't have thought of that idea sooner.
I have a couple of requests from the members. First; I want to send him a care package and need to know from those members who've been to the desert which items are most needed and desired by the troops. Secondly is for your prayers for his safe return to see his first son who will arrive in about five months, as well as the safe return of all our troops and the sooner the better. Thanks

Attachments

• DSC00904.jpg
    DSC00904.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 260
Its always nice hearing that someone comes out of IED's alive.Prayers for him to return safely and see his newborn

I love getting jerky, and not that store bought junk, real vension jerky or at the very least something from a butcher shop. Pepperoni sticks are also great to get. Trail mix is popular or butter toffee peanuts. Just getting letters and photos is awesome. Let me know if you need anymore ideas

My brother has been in both Iraq and Afghanistan. One thing he enjoyed was subscriptions to hunting magazines, also Afghanistan does not have the same "comforts" that Iraq had so he also asked for AA and AAA batteries, jerky like was mentioned, He also asked for baby wipes, those packets of salmon and tuna and chew. I would vacuum pack a roll of chew and it would get to him still fresh.

Alcohol is prohibited but I have heard of people sending listerine bottles full of Crown, mind I have just heard about not actually seen it done.

Nemont

Baby wipes were huge when I was over there and powdered gator ade mix and phone cards.

Glad to hear he's ok...My IED incidents didn't go quite as well for me and my friends

Girl Scout cookies - it's that time of year, and they are awesome for bartering with other folks in the unit. Equivalent of smokes in jail. The GS troops supposedly have that thing where you can buy a box for the military, but I've never heard of anyone getting any of them.

I'll second jerky and baby wipes, as well.

Gold bond medicated powder. Nothing better for some serious chaffing. My son loved when we sent it to him in Iraq. The magazines go over big as well, nothing like keeping our boys minds on coming home to what they love. Thank him for me and my family. I talked with a Vietnam vet awhile back and he is very impressed that our sons and daughters would volunteer to do such a great thing for the freedom of our country!

Thanks ever so much for all the suggestions and well wishes. I've already started packing the box and should have it on it's way Friday. Jonathan will be pleased and grateful to know that he has a brotherhood of fellow hunters pulling for him. Thanks again.

Wish him all the best out there,and to get home safe.I'd be proud to have one of my kids out there,but scared to death at the same time

I remember food being a big deal when I was in the desert. Anything that won't spoil and reminds you of home is awesome. Baby wipes helped a lot too.

My families thoughts and prayers are always with the service folks and bringing them home safe.

Some kind of treat that will keep that he would never buy for himself. Dad sent me some when I was in SE Asia that I will never forget.

Our prayers are with your cousin. My son, a third generation Marine, will deploy soon to that area to do the same thing as a Combat Engineer. Please remember him too. And, his son will arrive in April 2011 too.
Psalms 91.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back