Caribou Gear Tarp

Second Best Stew

bdidaho

From what I've read here, Big Fin swears by Dente Moore stew. I don't know if that is true or not so if it is, Randy, I'm not trying to outdo Dente Moore, just trying to come in a close second. Besides, this is a little more involved than I want to get when I'm hunting. But I do like to make this ahead and take it with me to reheat. The venison can be changed to elk, moose and the vegetables can be varied according to what you like.

2 lbs venison, cubed
2 onions, chopped
2 cans(or 1 qt box) of low sodium beef broth
3 T soy sauce
2 bay leaves
1/2 lb baby carrots
1/12 -2 lb red potatoes,skins on and cubed
6 oz tomato paste
4 tablespoons minute tapioca
1 1/2 tsp fresh thyme, minced
vegetable oil
2 cups frozen peas

Pat the venison dry with a paper towel and salt and pepper. Let sit for about 20 minutes.This aids with the browning. In a large dutch oven, heat 2 T oil over med-high heat until almost smoking. Add venison and brown about 2 minutes per side, then remove from dutch oven. Add another 2 T oil to dutch oven and saute onions until browned, about 5-8 minutes and remove. Add tomato paste and cook about 2 minutes or until it gets dark. Add the venison, onions, beef broth, bay leaves, soy sauce and bring to a boil. Add the tapioca.( If you are using meat that will be tender in a couple of hours, throw the vegetables in now. If you like to cook your stew longer or in a crock pot, the vegetables will get too soft and mushy if cooked that long so use a foil pouch) Toss the vegetables with the thyme, salt and pepper and 2-4 T oil and wrap them in a foil pouch and set on top of the liquid. Cook at 250 for about 2-3 hours or until the meat is tender. Remove the vegetables from the foil and add to the liquid. Add the frozen peas and let them warm through before serving. Serve with warm rolls or bread.

Attachments

• stew 003.jpg
    stew 003.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 235
Good I'm hungry. Although it could be bad I won't be ready for dinner for another few hours.

That looks GREAT!!! I'll have to give that recipe a try.

However, does it come in a can to cook on the camp stove??

picture.php

good luck to all
the dog

No offense Mr. Fin, but this is bar none, the best stew out there! my mom made that one and my wife now makes it. Put some honey on those biscuits and you've got it all figured out.

Add two lbs Bacon and you got yourself the best stew out there[/QUOTE]
I'll try the bacon. Everything is better with bacon!!

Looks great! I've never had stew with the tapioca, sounds interesting. I'll have to give it a try. bdidaho, can you give me an idea of what does this impart to the stew so that I'll know I've getting it right? Thanks!

No Dinty Moore at my house. Those camera guys are spoiled with my wife's homemade beef stew, chili, and lasagna, but they always give me grief about the one can of DM stew they had to suffer through in their three years of filming.

Will have to get Mrs. Fin to download this recipe and see how it works.

Looks great! I've never had stew with the tapioca, sounds interesting. I'll have to give it a try. bdidaho, can you give me an idea of what does this impart to the stew so that I'll know I've getting it right? Thanks!

It's just a thickening agent. Tapioca will hold it's thickening properties when you use a lower, slower cooking process, ie crock pot cooking. I don't use a crock pot for this but you can. And even though I use a dutch oven and a bit higher temp, I still use the minute tapioca to thicken the stew. Let me know what you think Dana. BD

Aha...makes sense. I was wondering if that wasnt the case. I noticed you used no flour or cornstarch. I usually flour the venison cubes before I brown them off. I'll give your recipe and the tapioca a try, thanks!

Aha...makes sense. I was wondering if that wasnt the case. I noticed you used no flour or cornstarch. I usually flour the venison cubes before I brown them off. I'll give your recipe and the tapioca a try, thanks!

+1 On flour and brown (a dab of bacon grease)

Back