SE montana

Seems like this group did ok
Looks like they had a blast hunting together which is #1 . This is a mule deer thread so I’ll only comment on the mule deer in the video , there isn’t much to say other than it looks like they had a blast together . I liked the video . Randy’s whitetail was a decent buck

Keep positive, you’ll have a blast out there.......as far as the Trolls on this site that can’t help but poke fun at people for wanting to hunt SE MT, just ignore them, or better yet block them. A couple things are most likely true:

They only hunt what they can see from the truck

They think somehow there should be a 200” buck around every corner

They are just plain Trolls......there’s lots of them everywhere, including HuntTalk
Or it could be that some of us have been hiking and hunting there for over 40 years and have seen just how far the Custer has slipped.

I am interested in the specifics of that. I'd like a better understanding.

I respect and appreciate the fact that you both are legitimately concerned about the state of things up there.
The short explanation is that more opportunity gives more value.The more value wildlife has, the more landowners will commercialize.

A few examples. Montana has a five week general season, one of the longest in the west. The longer the season, the more hunters a landowner can book without the property starting to feel crowded.
The rut allows you to book more hunters than if you were only able to hunt pre rut. As long as you have a good population of does, the property will continue to attract bucks from the surrounding private and Public land long after you have shot off the resident herd. One Outfitter friend of mine once pointed out a timbered hill he controlled the hunting on. The hill was no more than a 100 acres with some timber and rock formations surrounded by miles of sage and grass land. It also had a resident herd of 10 to 20 does depending on the year. The outfitter pointed out how he could take one or two nice bucks a week off of that hill. A client would shoot a buck tending the does and in a matter of days another nice buck would replace him and the cycle repeats. The rut made that hill very valuable to the outfitter. Now think about where the big numbers of does are in SE MT. There are some places on public with a nice population of does but the big numbers are on or close to the private river and creek bottoms. If you are making money off of the deer those does are very valuable. During the rut they will bring bucks down out of the hills where they are easy to shoot even for porky old hunters. A few years back we had an early winter with snow in late Oct and early Nov. The deer all headed for winter range of which much of is on public land. Public land hunters were commenting how good the hunting was that year. Outfitters were singing a different tune. They were winning about how few deer were in the hay fields and that most of the better bucks were back in the hills where it was difficult to get with older clients. Take the hunt out of the rut and all those does in the alfalfa go from being a money maker to a crop eating money loser.
I can think of more examples and will post them when I have more time.

Last edited:
It's great country and fun to hunt, but it's a shadow of what it used to be. Poor management is primarily to blame as MT is just interested in collecting fees from tag sales, not providing a quality experience or a trophy hunt. Once it's completely beyond salvageable they'll make it a draw like other areas of MT.

Do everyone a favor and don't fill your mule deer doe tag if you have one. The topic has been beaten to death here every year so arguing about it online won't change anything.

We can not under estimate the effect of the elk. In the past many places that were good buck hunting are now filled with cow hunters, hunters with bull tags and friends looking for a bull for there buddy. All of them have a buck tag in there back pocket and the deer that are in those places don't stand a chance. Also hunters that use to hunt deer in those places see all the elk pressure and go some place new. In the past those new places may have been over looked.
Nailed it.

The short explanation is that more opportunity gives more value.The more value wildlife has, the more landowners will commercialize.

A few examples. Montana has a five week general season, one of the longest in the west. The longer the season, the more hunters a landowner can book without the property starting to feel crowded.
The rut allows you to book more hunters than if you were only able to hunt pre rut. As long as you have a good population of does, the property will continue to attract bucks from the surrounding private and Public land long after you have shot off the resident herd. One Outfitter friend of mine once pointed out a timbered hill he controlled the hunting on. The hill was no more than a 100 acres with some timber and rock formations surrounded by miles of sage and grass land. It also had a resident herd of 10 to 20 does depending on the year. The outfitter pointed out how he could take one or two nice bucks a week off of that hill. A client shoot a buck tending the does and in a matter of days another nice buck would replace him and the cycle repeats. The rut made that hill very valuable to the outfitter. Now think about where the big numbers of does are in SE MT. There are some places on public with a nice population of does but the big numbers are on or close to the private river and creek bottoms. If you are making money off of the deer those does are very valuable. During the rut they will bring bucks down out of the hills where they are easy to shoot even for porky old hunters. A few years back we had an early winter with snow in late Oct and early Nov. The deer all headed for winter range of which much of is on public land. Public land hunters were commenting how good the hunting was that year. Outfitters were singing a different tune. They were winning about how few deer were in the hay fields and that most of the better bucks were back in the hills where it was difficult to get with older clients. Take the hunt out of the rut and all those does in the alfalfa go from being a money maker to a crop eating money loser.
I can think of more examples and will post them when I have more time.
That seems like superb insight. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

I like our biologists, they are good people. Unfortunately the have bosses they need to answer to and their bosses have bosses and some where up the line those bosses turn into politicians.
Truer words have never been written. It applies to all state game management agencies. IMO

If I see bigfoot tracks while I am up there I am blaming you now regardless.

I am going in with eyes wide open so hopefully I won't fall into the sucker category. Just going to enjoy being in different country with my son and learning about the area and the animals and what it takes to camp and stay in a different environment so we are better prepared for future hunts. Anything else is just extra gravy.

It'll be the farthest north and west my son has ever been so I am super excited to see how he reacts and how he likes it.

Hope ya'll get some rain up there. Sounds like the area could sure use it.

No matter what the whiners that say it's over crowede there say.....THIS is the reason to go there or anywhere to hunt. You'll get to hunt a new area you've never been, see some beautiful country, maybe shoot a deer, and most importantly, you'll get to be with your son while you do it. I wish you the best of luck on your adventure and I hope you keep us posed with what you find on your hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohan7
Back