PEAX Equipment

SE montana

Sasquatch and aliens abducted all the deer. Wolves have developed cyber capabilities to scrub the internet of all queries related to deer and Custer.

Peace and harmony reign in the kingdom.
I might have to go forward with my big foot tracks plan. Sounds like it might work..

I am sure that there are plenty of suckers looking to plan a three point hunt of a life time. Just be warned it is very dry in SE Montana. Rainfall has been spotty at best. Eighty eight was the toughest year I can remember. We have received less rainfall this year. If it was not for the very good moisture year last and the relativity cooler temperatures, this year would be just as tough as 88.

I am sure that there are plenty of suckers looking to plan a three point hunt of a life time. Just be warned it is very dry in SE Montana. Rainfall has been spotty at best. Eighty eight was the toughest year I can remember. We have received less rainfall this year. If it was not for the very good moisture year last and the relativity cooler temperatures, this year would be just as tough as 88.
Ill be headed there in November, curious what the low precipitation does to the deer? Die off or do they congregate near water.

I might have to go forward with my big foot tracks plan. Sounds like it might work..

If I see bigfoot tracks while I am up there I am blaming you now regardless.

I am going in with eyes wide open so hopefully I won't fall into the sucker category. Just going to enjoy being in different country with my son and learning about the area and the animals and what it takes to camp and stay in a different environment so we are better prepared for future hunts. Anything else is just extra gravy.

It'll be the farthest north and west my son has ever been so I am super excited to see how he reacts and how he likes it.

Hope ya'll get some rain up there. Sounds like the area could sure use it.

It’s a shame that sportsmen that should care about a resource think this is a joke. An uncontrolled rut hunt with high powered rifles that runs the entire length of the rut isn’t funny and borderline not sporting. It’s a recipe that benefits private land and not public hunters.

Ill be headed there in November, curious what the low precipitation does to the deer? Die off or do they congregate near water.
Any thing that is within 3 to 5 miles of the rivers are going to be on the irrigated alfalfa. Deer that live back in the hills will likely be in the thick north slope timber unless we get some substantial fall rain or November snow. The biggest danger of a die off is dew to excessive high speed lead poisoning

Last edited:
It’s a shame that sportsmen that should care about a resource think this is a joke. An uncontrolled rut hunt with high powered rifles that runs the entire length of the rut isn’t funny and borderline not sporting. It’s a recipe that benefits private land and not public hunters.
Timmy might sound a bit harsh but sadly I think he might be understating the problem.

Well I here I go, about to step off in it again....

I get that there needs to be change in regards to management in that area. It doesn't take a wildlife biologist to realize what you are saying.

In my opinion the constant belittling of anyone who wants to hunt in an entire Region in Montana seems pretty silly. Blame FWP or blame the general population of Montana who are apparently not concerned enough about the issue of hunting mule deer through the rut with rifles to affect change.

I am sick of hearing about what an idiot I am for coming to a place I have wanted to hunt and visit for years.

And as far as sport and sportsmen and sporting goes.... sport is a long way down the list of the reasons I hunt and I don't kill anything for sport. I am not trying to judge other people with that statement, I am talking about me.

Trying to shame people for coming to Montana and spending their hard earned money on a perfectly legal tag by telling them it is not sporting is pretty out of line in my opinion.

Would you rather have people in your corner who care what happens with the wildlife and habitat up there or people who are driven away and no longer really give a shit?

Last edited:
Shane I think you've been here long enough that you know everyone of these threads goes this direction. Don't get so bent outta shape its only Monday morning........

Fwp is the problem along with everyone participating in the deal if they're hell bent on filling their 1k tags on nothing more that a 3yr old buck..... there's been countless comments and instances even on this site over the years that solidify it.

If people don't want to catch shit then ask a better question that, what's it like in November? or deer numbers good? or what's a decent expectation of deer 160 or 185? Or do they die when it's dry?

Relax it's only Monday

Well I here I go, about to step off in it again....

I get that there needs to be change in regards to management in that area. It doesn't take a wildlife biologist to realize what you are saying.

In my opinion the constant belittling of anyone who wants to hunt in an entire Region in Montana seems pretty silly. Blame FWP or blame the general population of Montana who are apparently not concerned enough about the issue of hunting mule deer through the rut with rifles to affect change.

I am sick of hearing about what an idiot I am for coming to a place I have wanted to hunt and visit for years.

And as far as sport and sportsmen and sporting goes.... sport is a long way down the list of the reasons I hunt and I don't kill anything for sport. I am not trying to judge other people with that statement, I am talking about me.

Trying to shame people for coming to Montana and spending their hard earned money on a perfectly legal tag by telling them it is not sporting is pretty out of line in my opinion.

Would you rather have people in your corner who care what happens with the wildlife and habitat up there or people who are driven away and no longer really give a shit?
Honestly just go hunt and enjoy yourself and your time with your kid and get off of the Internet as far as hunting advice goes , if you need more info on the area call the area biologists, if you need maps get OnX. Your not gonna get the answers your looking for
On here . I wish you and your boy the best of luck

Antlers make poor soup. Hunting is about experience. Its about the prople you're with and the places you get to see. Go, have fun, shoot a forkey or a spike or a doe or a giant. They will all taste delicious. Hunting isn't about the validation you feel after posting a grip and grin, its about the memories you (and your son) will cultivate. Thank you for spending your money in MT!

You are right that was a poor choice of wording. It’s borderline not fair chase. But come hunt and have fun enjoy the area and the experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Antlerradar hit the nail with his response above, the critters will seek out the best feed. When mother nature decides to turn off the spigot, the critters will leave the public lands and head to "Greener pastures" on the private. This issue is compounded with the public lands livestock grazing allotments. When the feed dries up, the livestock will focus their grazing on any and all remaining feed that is available within these pastures,,,such as the north facing shaded slopes. Throw in a trillion grasshoppers and you have the makings of a perfect storm for there being minimal biggame critters located on the public accessible lands. So, pray for rain!

Sasquatch is the answer. Hunting Sasquatch is sporting and tagging Squatch is only slightly more difficult than finding a B&C buck on public land. Why? Because one of my examples is mythical and doesn’t exist. But some people still believe......there’s a possibility the other example does exist and they will spend a lot of money and time and enjoy their search. I fully support their efforts to find and document those large feet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back