SD GFP Commission decisions

warmer

The Commission meets today and tomorrow. There are several agenda items dealing with deer tags(West River, special buck and archery). Does anyone know if any of these decisions will go into effect in 2019 or will they wait till 2020 to implement them?

The "east or West tag, not both" on first try issue was going to take effect in 2019 wasn't it? I haven't decided whether or not to apply in 2019 or not. Likely not. But, I would guess it will make it easier for Residents to get the ONE tag they really want, especially if it's an East tag.

I would think they'd be running out of time to implement those changes this year. The common draw was already approved if memory serves me correctly.

Never been a fan of the commission meetings just because they always have them in the worst locations. Either Pierre or Custer State Park when most of this state's population is located in the far East.

I would think they'd be running out of time to implement those changes this year. The common draw was already approved if memory serves me correctly.

Never been a fan of the commission meetings just because they always have them in the worst locations. Either Pierre or Custer State Park when most of this state's population is located in the far East.
Suppose all us pesky east river guys would spoil the party?

I would day you hit it on the head there! They don't really want public input from what I can tell. Seems like I read all of the public comments against a certain proposal and it still gets passed, so why even bother with public comments?

Oh well, what do we know right? Obviously the west river folks know more about it than we do..... especially when it comes to east river hunting :p

haha! With all the whining, should just split SD into 2 states. Western SD and Eastern SD. Growing up in south east SD and now living west SD both sides whine. I know my friends on east side hate that idea and friends on west side love it.
Haha wouldn't that be something! I mean in all realty the two sides are very different culturally, but I like prairie goat hunting, so I'd vote no:p

As a nonresident, I'm interested to see how these possible changes come to fruition. I read a lot of facebook comments, and it looked ugly.

I saw a lot of backlash about nonresidents taking too many mule deer (albeit any number >1 would be "too many" for some). Seems to me, GFP needs to do a full on mandatory game registration before anyone can confirm, or deny, these claims.

Haha wouldn't that be something! I mean in all realty the two sides are very different culturally, but I like prairie goat hunting, so I'd vote no:p
I agree that Sioux Falls is very different! A lot of small towns on both sides that are very close to the same. I think the biggest heartburn for west river folks is that there was a balance that plays in the favor of east river folks having an east river tag and also opportunity for west river tag. East river is almost all private land so that tag was either pay to play or you have established access through friends, family etc. I know I like my access to my relative's farms east river. Then west river is hugely public land. So east river folks have a better chance at 2 good tags in the old system. In no way am I saying the new system is great or terrible. Simply don't know or have strong enough opinion yet.

I still believe it should be statewide as one tag first draw (no west river east river) and then the black hills national forest as a separate tag. It's not that west river knows more about hunting than east river or vice versa. I know I am giving up a opportunity east river or west river in the first draw but I am hopeful it works out to the benefit of more people. It is not going back this season so I am not going to get dwell on it and will try to navigate the system to be used best I can. I am guessing there will be more changes in the next few years that people will dislike, myself included.

I never would have guessed that you like prairie goat hunting...😆

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back