SD deer hunt

mtmiller

Well, looks like 2005 big game season has ended for me. Nothing for the wall this year, but I had a great time along the way.

I had another wonderful hunting experience in western SD (former home). Found a pretty good 5 point my first day in the field, but decided it was too early for him (although he was probably bigger than what I bagged later). Day three I choked on a great 4 point. Nice tine length and outside spread had to be pushing the 2' mark. No good excuses, just missed at 200 yards. Hopefully he will be around next year.

The day before Thanksgiving I hunted a new area and had deer on top of me all evening, some does as close as 7 yards and three decent bucks within 20. Unfortunately I left the bow at the hay stacks and crawled in with ony my rifle :BLEEP:

Here a shot of one of the bucks that was at rock throwing distance.
P1150327.JPG

The next evening I was in the same area and ran into a 5 point at the last minute of shooting time. I thought he was a little bigger, but there was some ground shrinkage. Still really happy with him and had a great time on the hunt. What do you think, does he look familiar? ;) :D
P1150535.JPG

Why shoot them at 20 yards when you can wait and shoot him at 200 yards on a different day. :rolleyes:

The next day I boned out the meat and as would luck would have it, I saw this when I was disposing of the boned out carcass.
P1150556.JPG

That's how it goes I guess.

After a quick call to my hunting buddy, who supports my SD deer hunting habit, the hunt was on. He had to search for a while, but finally found him about 1/2 mile from where I had last seen him. One shot and it was photo time.
P1150646.JPG

He deserved the buck, as he had been chasing it during the archery season. Ended up being a very symetrical 6x6.

This morning found me with a doe tag still in my pocket, so we hit the field again. I hung out on the knob and watched a sweet sunrise and reminised a great '05 season.
P1150678.JPG

After the show was over I decided there was nothing wrong with an unfilled tag. This day was perfect and killing another deer couldn't make it any better. I guess I am done chasing the fury critters for another year (well, I guess it is still pretty early and the bow is just sitting there ;) :D ).

Awesome Mt. Sounds and looked like a fabulous year for you. Glad to see that nice buck you got. I need a WT for my wall. Will have to start searching in Northen Idaho the next couple years.
Congrats again.

Nice going mtmiller. Sounds like you had a great year again and you have shared some very outstanding pictures and stories. Thanks!

AWESOME! great pics and story... Thats a respectable buck man... way to go!

Great pictures and a pretty good deer. It may not fit on the wall, but I bet it does great on the BBQ!!

:cool:

Great hunting !!!! And good on ya for getting a Good buck !!!

I'd tell you about your Kick A$$ pictures ... but you already know I'm sure .. ;)

Congrats again !!

Hey Monkeyboy.. Nice 10 pointer good to see you had a good hunt once again you lucky bastage

NNNIIIIIICCCCCCEEEEEE!!!!!!! I HAVE to hunt whitetails in the prairies sometime, that just looks like too much fun.

Way to go! Do you ever go hunting and not come home with something?
I still have a doe tag that will go in the trash. :D

I can't complain, last years critters were all bigger, but I had a great time hunting this year and now just need to dream about next season.

Best of luck to those that still have some hunting to do.

Great photos and nice buck. Congrats Miller! Are you standing in a goose blind behind that deer??

Nice bucks Craig! Also some great photography.

I was out the same weekend in the sw corner of the state. Passed on numerous small to decent bucks. Found a heavy tall 5x4 and hunted him for 2 days. Got close to him twice, both times no shot opportunity.

Those are great pics as usual.

Hope you made it home before this snow hit. Highway 2 sucks right now. Drive careful. Swing by the office again when you come through.

Nemont

did i miss something.....looks like a pretty fine animal to me! congrats Miller ! .....sounds like a great hunt tell your buddy congrats too ! thats a nice looking whitetail ! ......awesome photos!

Back