SD blackhills turkey '09

T Bone

103_0387.jpg

Havn't got out much this spring as work is crazy and the kids' track season, Tae Kwon Do, and dance classes have really limited free time.

My 10 year old and I slipped out yesterday morning and hiked into some rugged canyons that I know hold birds and get little pressure. As the sky lightened we heard not a single bird????

We set up and called for about 1/2 hour and heard and saw nothing. Until we stood up. We had a big old tom at full strut 40 yards away just out of sight of us when sitting. We saw him, he saw us, and he set sail across the canyon... Durn birds are supposed to announce themselves when coming in.

We moved up the ridge about 1/2 mile and set up to call again. No responses. We kept calling. 20 minutes into I saw the top of a full fan coming in. He hung up at about 80 yards. As he dipped out of sight into a gully, we stood up and ran the blitz! At the shot he tumbled and didn't stop rolling until he reached the very bottom of the canyon. I'd guess in some turkey hunting circles, shooting a bird that doesn't come to you is bad juju, but not in my book.

It was fun. Real proud of my 10 year old as the hike into this area is not an easy one.

T Bone,

Nice bird. If they don't come to you, it seems logical you must go to them. I understand completely. Great job!

Juju, shmuju. You did what the circumstances called for. Don't know anyone else who wouldn't have done the same thing.

Congrats on a great bird. Teach him to mess with T Bone and Co.

Thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back