Caribou Gear

Scouting by drone

Yes it is legal. You can apply for a special permit to do so.
Great! That makes sense. He should get a tag, load up his truck with gas, and cruise the Missouri Breaks. That's what I'd do. He'll see tons of deer and that's no exaggeration. I could point him to a certain haystack with a coulee behind it. Over the last ten years I have seen deer in that draw every time. Publicly accessible and I know the owner across the road would pull a deer out for him in a heartbeat. Great guy. Almost everyone around there is. Not too many transplants ... not yet anyway.

I'm not sure if it's legal for a wheelchair person to shoot a deer from a vehicle in Montana ... but I know it's done ... a lot ... and not necessarily by handicapped. 😯
I believe in fair game and shooting an animal from inside a vehicle, to me no matter my disabilities, is not fair game. I do not judge other disabled folks for doing so, because what is legal is for each if us to decide on their own to follow or not. I can not see how an animal can see the danger in vehicles it sees passing every day with no danger presented, with the exception of being hit on the road. In my mind, that is not fair game, but rather just killing and has nothing to do with hunting. This my guideline for me, others have to decide on their own.

I'm not sure if it's legal for a wheelchair person to shoot a deer from a vehicle in Montana ... but I know it's done ... a lot ... and not necessarily by handicapped. 😯
Research helps... OntarioHunter. It's not hard to do. You're on the internet as it is..

Attachments

• 2021-guidelines-for-permit-to-hunt-from-a-vehicle.pdf
    217.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 2021-pthv.pdf
    794.6 KB · Views: 3
I believe in fair game and shooting an animal from inside a vehicle, to me no matter my disabilities, is not fair game. I do not judge other disabled folks for doing so, because what is legal is for each if us to decide on their own to follow or not. I can not see how an animal can see the danger in vehicles it sees passing every day with no danger presented, with the exception of being hit on the road. In my mind, that is not fair game, but rather just killing and has nothing to do with hunting. This my guideline for me, others have to decide on their own.
I can understand that. There are a range of accommodations available from most agencies and landowners that should allow you to find a good balance for yourself personally between facilitating your participation and maintaining your fair chase ideals. Good luck with your planning!

Sure can't argue with that. But have you ever hunted mule deer? They will often as not stop and look even when you're on foot, especially early in the season. As long as not in the headlights there's often not a real big difference between encounters in a vehicle and on foot. During daylight anyway. It's my understanding that shooting deer from a vehicle is outlawed due to hunter safety concerns mostly. Interesting that it's not illegal to carry a loaded gun in a vehicle in Montana, only shooting it from a vehicle.

I don't see spot and stalk being an option for you, not in the traditional sense. You have learned to modify some behaviour to accommodate your disability. It's the human way. Part of the evolutionary process. If you come and hunt the Breaks from a vehicle you will see hundreds of deer I guarantee it. And they are all wild on public land. You can simply make it more difficult for yourself by being selective. I have thrown this out there to you because I want you to have a better hunting experience than sitting in a blind for days on end. To me that's not hunting, it's shooting. Especially over bait or food plots. And it's boring as hell. If you hunt muleys from a vehicle there's at least some pursuit involved. And you'll see a lot of interesting country, tons of wildlife, and meet some of the finest people in the world. You should consider it.

There's always the option of parking at strategic points and waiting for the deer to come to you. Someone who knows the land can put you at a crossover spot between large coulee networks. Can be some good shooting, especially during the rut when bucks are roaming.

Last edited:
I applaud you for working to overcome your disabilities and get out in the field to fulfill your goals.
Taking a hunting partner or helper along is an option to consider.
A couple of things one learns moving through the terrain rather than with a drone is the feeling of accomplishment when finding a prey animal while unseen and being able to observe their movements.
Also making all the mistakes we make before it really counts (during the season) didn’t play the wind correctly, or an animal you didn’t notice busts you and they all blow out of there. So many things one learns being in the forest.
As to drones they just go against my ethic but I am older and I can see the gap between generations widening.
I admit kind of a touchy subject for me. Last winter I was fishing a lake down south. Two days in a row I kept getting buzzed by a drone being flown by an unknown individual. One intrusive person can mold ones views.
Pretty sure up here I would have shot at it. As close as it was coming it would have been at risk.

Last edited:
Sure can't argue with that. But have you ever hunted mule deer? They will often as not stop and look even when you're on foot, especially early in the season. As long as not in the headlights there's often not a real big difference between encounters in a vehicle and on foot. During daylight anyway. It's my understanding that shooting deer from a vehicle is outlawed due to hunter safety concerns mostly. Interesting that it's not illegal to carry a loaded gun in a vehicle in Montana, only shooting it from a vehicle.

I don't see spot and stalk being an option for you, not in the traditional sense. You have learned to modify some behaviour to accommodate your disability. It's the human way. Part of the evolutionary process. If you come and hunt the Breaks from a vehicle you will see hundreds of deer I guarantee it. And they are all wild on public land. You can simply make it more difficult for yourself by being selective. I have thrown this out there to you because I want you to have a better hunting experience than sitting in a blind for days on end. To me that's not hunting, it's shooting. Especially over bait or food plots. And it's boring as hell. If you hunt muleys from a vehicle there's at least some pursuit involved. And you'll see a lot of interesting country, tons of wildlife, and meet some of the finest people in the world. You should consider it.

There's always the option of parking at strategic points and waiting for the deer to come to you. Someone who knows the land can put you at a crossover spot between large coulee networks. Can be some good shooting, especially during the rut when bucks are roaming.
My only real option is Squat and Squalk, which is blind hunting. I believe that I have to at least get into the animals house and not in their driveway. If I' m going to hunt, I want to at least work for the game I hope to harvest/kill. This coming from the guy asking about scouting by drone in the off-season. I want the feeling that I matched wits with the animal and my thought process and it's nature came into play and I was successful or not. This is hunting to me.
There are those who can't get out an do as much physical activity and I hold nothing against them for hunting from a vehicle, because they are doing the best they can. Someone suggested deer farms and I am researching that as those farms have to cull the hearts, just as every other hunter does in their hunts in the wild.

Someone suggested deer farms and I am researching that as those farms have to cull the hearts, just as every other hunter does in their hunts in the wild.

Just to be clear Dancer, but when you say "deer farm" it implies a high fence operation. I was suggesting a low fence Texas guided hunt, to be clear.

Just to be clear Dancer, but when you say "deer farm" it implies a high fence operation. I was suggesting a low fence Texas guided hunt, to be clear.
Thank you for making that clear, Bob, I was understanding the high fenced deer farms.

OntarioHunter wrote:

"... There's always the option of parking at strategic points and waiting for the deer to come to you. ..."

...and what's the difference in that and stand hunting?

In Texas I can but a LIFETIME DISABLED LICENSE at a greatly reduced rate. I have not researched Arkansas, Louisanna, or Oklahoma. I haven't even thought of a guide service and that may we'll be an option.
I am in north Louisiana. We have several WMA’s and National Wildlife Refuges in the State that have hunts for the disabled complete with accessible elevated blinds and guides. All for the price of the app and license.

May be a viable option for you. Let me know if I can help.

Using a drone to scout is missing the whole point. The drone will NOT give you the knowledge to truly find game in its’ element. Burning shoe leather and putting in the hard hours will. MTG

Using a drone to scout is missing the whole point. The drone will NOT give you the knowledge to truly find game in its’ element. Burning shoe leather and putting in the hard hours will. MTG
Burning shoe leather may be an issue.

I'll just say this. For a disabled hunter, if it's not illegal just go freaking do it. You may encounter someone who would rather you not do it but I'd say when they confront you they will be a little less loud about their complaint. If you are good with a drone, heck you may even be able to find a suitable trail or path.

And as others have said there are a bunch of ways different agencies can help accommodate. We have special disabled hunting days in Va at various WMAs. Some leave the blinds up all year so it doesn't even have to be on special days to use them.

Good luck.

I could point him to a certain haystack with a coulee behind it.

Coulee, is that a draw/drainage?

I am in north Louisiana. We have several WMA’s and National Wildlife Refuges in the State that have hunts for the disabled complete with accessible elevated blinds and guides. All for the price of the app and license.

May be a viable option for you. Let me know if I can help.
I am in Northeast Texas, Cass County. How close to there are you talking? My goal, since I began planning on going hunting, has been to try and be a LONG HUNTER, covering areas in Arkansas, Louisanna, Oklahoma and Texas. My thoughts were to learn to hunt in my area and work my way out. That was without understanding very much about hinting, or my ability to travel far. Then I moved from Fentress County Tennessee to here and drove every inch myself. This taught me that I can do a lot more than I thought and that being a LONG HUNTER was actually doable. I have just been turned onto strength/cross training for gymps (my way of putting it) and I am really starting to understand that the determined human is a bad mofo when they put their mind into the equation. I started watching hunting and fishing shows to learn how, but also the outdoor ethics that I can live with. So after I re-blue my firearms and teach myself accuracy again, if the area your talking about is within a reasonable days drive, then hands on learning can take place anywhere and my plans can be completely re-configured.

I am so glad I asked, what some seem to think, a stupid question. I have learned more from this one question, than any other question I have ever asked. I really thank you all for your responses.

@ dancerpro
I'm in SW Oklahoma. Ok does offer a "disability" license for residents. Not sure about nonresidents. www.wildlifedepartment.com
should answer any questions about Ok licensure.

I'm fairly mobil, but have mobility issues myself.
Can't walk over about a quarter mile.
Can't sit or stand for extended periods.
Cant pick up over about 50 pounds, so I'm quite limited in my hunting.
I built a box blind on a trailer. If I can get in to park my blind, i can hunt. My blind is large enough i can sit or stand as necessary. I stay in the dry.
I keep rope, small chain (1/4") and a come-a-long in my vehicle should I make a kill. My truck is a flat bed which gives me a working platform.

Life isn't perfect, but I've learned to adapt! 😀!
I've had others on various sites claim what I do isn't hunting....but I kill deer.
I'm not trying to feed a family. One a year is sufficient and I give away most of that.
My greatest love used to be deer hunting, but now it's turkey hunting.
I normally kill at least 2 turkeys a year, but 2020 was a bust (new hunting area) and I haven't made it afield since due to surgeries and travel.

The old saying, "Takes me all night long to do what I used to do all night long." comes to mind. LOL!

Learn your disabilities.
Figure out how to work around your disabilities.
Adapt as necessary to continue until God calls you home.

P.S. as for the drone? If you feel a detailed aerial map helps get you on game, go for it!
P.P.S. if I kill a deer and haven't had my fill of "deer hunting", I'll take my camera and sit. I don't HAVE to kill a deer!

Learn your disabilities.
Figure out how to work around your disabilities.
Adapt as necessary to continue until God calls you home.
This is the hard truth some are challenged to overcome. I pray for all faced with challenging conditions most standing have not a single clue the humbling factors involved in disabilities.

Some here find the need to dismiss disabilities for sake of keeping "Our public lands", theirs. Dismiss granting options to aid those also seeking the beauty of an outdoor successful hunt - within the ability to adapt, etc...

While I've been on the side to directly experience quadriplegia in 2012 and had some fantastic Hunt Talk members visit while in ICU and the rehab facility... I experienced the humbling factors that test the mental resolve far beyond those standing that I once took for granted. simple aspects like taking a crap, as needed, when needed, and in private... So many aspects I never knew held such immense value - until I found myself in the situation to learn.

Outdoor activities, hunting, etc.

March 20, 2012, broke neck, quad. I don't know how the cookie crumbles regarding paralysis and nerves though a freak setting permitted me in November the same year to LOVE every second I stumbled, fell, tumbled, etc along a hill side and smell the pines!

I placed a formal request to use a game cart with the district Ranger as I LOVE OUR wilderness and shared the medical history... I was DENIED. A simple game cart as there was no way I could do the trek independently w/o the ability to stumble along a trail with harvested meat. This I find, bull shit.

While opportunities hit our legislature for handicap individuals (Not a fan of legislative action superseding our FWP) I support most all. While some of those standing may thumb their nose at enhancing the adaptation of options for our disabled citizens, unless it's overboard - I support adaptations, based on the medical setting. Agree, some legislators use b.s. tactics to sell their ideals full well knowing it's already available for disabled, for the most part - we need to stop hindering those who only seek to experience our outdoors as we do due to the few who abuse the process.

/semi rant over. :)

To the OP; I'd bet with some digging and asking around, it would be possible to find a hunt club/lease in TX that would allow you to hunt tons and in a way that fits your physical limitations. Also, remember that hunting is not only big game. Lots of small and upland game to pursue. Find some land you can access with oaks and/or pecan trees on it and I call bet there'll be squirrels there.

Good luck on your journey. Please keep sharing and asking questions. One suggestion, don't overthink it. Hunting is far from rocket surgery.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back