Yeti GOBOX Collection

Scouting by drone

My ancestors would slap me for using any term other than coulee.

It is tempting to think that whether or not something is gulch, vs a coulee, vs a draw, is inherent to the physiography of that which is being described, but just as much, it is just a remnant of the culture of the namers. This was my thesis in relation to this map, and I believe it is correct.

It is tempting to think that whether or not something is gulch, vs a coulee, vs a draw, is inherent to the physiography of that which is being described, but just as much, it is just a remnant of the culture of the namers. This was my thesis in relation to this map, and I believe it is correct.
It’s certainly correct for team coulee.

You're definitely in the right field of work Bret! Haha! Glad work does not make your enjoyment factor of the same a, "meh" factor. I think speaking for many here - we sure as heck dig your added geographic touches to our words.

BTW - Coulee FTW. ;)

OntarioHunter wrote:

"... There's always the option of parking at strategic points and waiting for the deer to come to you. ..."

...and what's the difference in that and stand hunting?
Don't have to drag out a stand so someone can steal it. Portability is the advantage. Keep in mind this fella is wheelchair bound. There's so much land and opportunity, it really doesn't make much sense to tie oneself down to one spot. And that pickup cab is a helluva lot warmer when the snow flies during the rut. Keep in mind this not the way I hunt ... but my legs still work ... for now.

Don't have to drag out a stand so someone can steal it. Portability is the advantage. Keep in mind this fella is wheelchair bound. There's so much land and opportunity, it really doesn't make much sense to tie oneself down to one spot. And that pickup cab is a helluva lot warmer when the snow flies during the rut. Keep in mind this not the way I hunt ... but my legs still work ... for now.
You're missing the point.
Whether you drive up to a spot in a vehicle or set up a blind, the premise is putting yourself in a position where deer will come TO you rather than go TO the deer.

This is the hard truth some are challenged to overcome. I pray for all faced with challenging conditions most standing have not a single clue the humbling factors involved in disabilities.

Some here find the need to dismiss disabilities for sake of keeping "Our public lands", theirs. Dismiss granting options to aid those also seeking the beauty of an outdoor successful hunt - within the ability to adapt, etc...

While I've been on the side to directly experience quadriplegia in 2012 and had some fantastic Hunt Talk members visit while in ICU and the rehab facility... I experienced the humbling factors that test the mental resolve far beyond those standing that I once took for granted. simple aspects like taking a crap, as needed, when needed, and in private... So many aspects I never knew held such immense value - until I found myself in the situation to learn.

Outdoor activities, hunting, etc.

March 20, 2012, broke neck, quad. I don't know how the cookie crumbles regarding paralysis and nerves though a freak setting permitted me in November the same year to LOVE every second I stumbled, fell, tumbled, etc along a hill side and smell the pines!

I placed a formal request to use a game cart with the district Ranger as I LOVE OUR wilderness and shared the medical history... I was DENIED. A simple game cart as there was no way I could do the trek independently w/o the ability to stumble along a trail with harvested meat. This I find, bull shit.

While opportunities hit our legislature for handicap individuals (Not a fan of legislative action superseding our FWP) I support most all. While some of those standing may thumb their nose at enhancing the adaptation of options for our disabled citizens, unless it's overboard - I support adaptations, based on the medical setting. Agree, some legislators use b.s. tactics to sell their ideals full well knowing it's already available for disabled, for the most part - we need to stop hindering those who only seek to experience our outdoors as we do due to the few who abuse the process.

/semi rant over. :)
15 April 1985 - U. S. Army 82nd Airborne: exercise - Mass Exidos
Wind was to high and I obtained a broken back and a nice case of nerve damage. Over the years, as things do, my situation gets worse mostly with age, but also with a fair amount of pushing to hard, not understanding how the body works when compromised. You were kind enough to explain your circumstances, turn about is fair play.

I have to use a dog to walk well enough to get anywhere and I'm training another to pull a cart. On bad days I am wheelchair bound and those days are getting closer together, I've trained Daizie to walk with my chair and help keep it under control. I'm used to catching flack, but it serves to drive me forward. I was supposed to be in a chair full time, but I'm still on my feet most of the time, stubborn goes a long way.

Don't be to hard on the able bodied, as it is impossible to really understand what living with limitations is like, till you have to. Honestly, I believe it is up to me to sift through responses, work with the helpful ones and figure out how I can make use of the others. Depending on how you look at it, negative can be positive IF you can use the information in some way. Thise who were strictly boots on the ground want to preserve the sanctity of the outdoors and the hunting grounds. Those who offer tips are trying to ensure everyone who wants to hunt has that opportunity. If I allow nay sayers to stop me, how badly did I really want to hunt in the first place? I didn't get in the position I'm In by tip toeing through the tulips, I took one hell of a chance and nearly crapped out.

My goal is to hunt and the game I'm aiming for is deer, though, I like squirrel, quality and fish as well. I do plan to become just as much a sportsman as I was a worker, just a matter of questioning, watching, listening and learning. As I've stated before, I have learned more from this 1 question, than I have any other question in my life. That is saying a great deal about this community and I am grateful for every response.

Thank you for your service, I don't know how to share "thank you" for what you found yourself giving in the name of our country though I certainly hold a great respect for all who gave of time, body and life.

- Most everyone on Hunt Talk are very helpful regardless the setting. Reading what you've shared, gives great respect for your endeavor. If ever in MT, PM me. I'd enjoy a coffee and a hunt. We can work with FWP, who's been pretty supportive of our disabled veterans. I'm not one of the guru hunters on this forum though I do get by.

Thanks for sharing your background.

Don't be to hard on the able bodied, as it is impossible to really understand what living with limitations is like, till you have to.
I've seen first hand, reflecting upon myself, how I took for granted many aspects. It's not intended to demean those who've not experienced, it's to express the aspects I took for granted that, having experienced the rehab from complete paralysis, I've learned so much I never even thought to consider...

Last edited:
coulee, gully, gulch, draw, ravine, ditch, wash:
Pick one, I'll know what you mean.

P.S. don't forget "crease"

Last edited:
I am in Northeast Texas, Cass County. How close to there are you talking? My goal, since I began planning on going hunting, has been to try and be a LONG HUNTER, covering areas in Arkansas, Louisanna, Oklahoma and Texas. My thoughts were to learn to hunt in my area and work my way out. That was without understanding very much about hinting, or my ability to travel far. Then I moved from Fentress County Tennessee to here and drove every inch myself. This taught me that I can do a lot more than I thought and that being a LONG HUNTER was actually doable. I have just been turned onto strength/cross training for gymps (my way of putting it) and I am really starting to understand that the determined human is a bad mofo when they put their mind into the equation. I started watching hunting and fishing shows to learn how, but also the outdoor ethics that I can live with. So after I re-blue my firearms and teach myself accuracy again, if the area your talking about is within a reasonable days drive, then hands on learning can take place anywhere and my plans can be completely re-configured.

I am so glad I asked, what some seem to think, a stupid question. I have learned more from this one question, than any other question I have ever asked. I really thank you all for your responses.
Sorry it took so long to reply, been swamped.

If you are in NE Texas then I can think of a WMA and a Wildlife Refuge that offer mobility impaired hunts within a 6 hour drive of Dallas. Probably will be closer for you. These hunts will be by lottery if memory serves but I believe the odds are very reasonable.

sending a PM with more info

Sorry it took so long to reply, been swamped.

If you are in NE Texas then I can think of a WMA and a Wildlife Refuge that offer mobility impaired hunts within a 6 hour drive of Dallas. Probably will be closer for you. These hunts will be by lottery if memory serves but I believe the odds are very reasonable.

sending a PM with more info
Thank you, that information is well received.

15 April 1985 - U. S. Army 82nd Airborne: exercise - Mass Exidos
Wind was to high and I obtained a broken back and a nice case of nerve damage. Over the years, as things do, my situation gets worse mostly with age, but also with a fair amount of pushing to hard, not understanding how the body works when compromised. You were kind enough to explain your circumstances, turn about is fair play.

I have to use a dog to walk well enough to get anywhere and I'm training another to pull a cart. On bad days I am wheelchair bound and those days are getting closer together, I've trained Daizie to walk with my chair and help keep it under control. I'm used to catching flack, but it serves to drive me forward. I was supposed to be in a chair full time, but I'm still on my feet most of the time, stubborn goes a long way.

Don't be to hard on the able bodied, as it is impossible to really understand what living with limitations is like, till you have to. Honestly, I believe it is up to me to sift through responses, work with the helpful ones and figure out how I can make use of the others. Depending on how you look at it, negative can be positive IF you can use the information in some way. Thise who were strictly boots on the ground want to preserve the sanctity of the outdoors and the hunting grounds. Those who offer tips are trying to ensure everyone who wants to hunt has that opportunity. If I allow nay sayers to stop me, how badly did I really want to hunt in the first place? I didn't get in the position I'm In by tip toeing through the tulips, I took one hell of a chance and nearly crapped out.

My goal is to hunt and the game I'm aiming for is deer, though, I like squirrel, quality and fish as well. I do plan to become just as much a sportsman as I was a worker, just a matter of questioning, watching, listening and learning. As I've stated before, I have learned more from this 1 question, than I have any other question in my life. That is saying a great deal about this community and I am grateful for every response.
Don’t quit asking the questions that you need answers for.
I am glad to see you pushing through to achieve your goals.

I am in Northeast Texas, Cass County. How close to there are you talking? My goal, since I began planning on going hunting, has been to try and be a LONG HUNTER, covering areas in Arkansas, Louisanna, Oklahoma and Texas. My thoughts were to learn to hunt in my area and work my way out. That was without understanding very much about hinting, or my ability to travel far. Then I moved from Fentress County Tennessee to here and drove every inch myself. This taught me that I can do a lot more than I thought and that being a LONG HUNTER was actually doable. I have just been turned onto strength/cross training for gymps (my way of putting it) and I am really starting to understand that the determined human is a bad mofo when they put their mind into the equation. I started watching hunting and fishing shows to learn how, but also the outdoor ethics that I can live with. So after I re-blue my firearms and teach myself accuracy again, if the area your talking about is within a reasonable days drive, then hands on learning can take place anywhere and my plans can be completely re-configured.

I am so glad I asked, what some seem to think, a stupid question. I have learned more from this one question, than any other question I have ever asked. I really thank you all for your responses.
In the process of looking for property, which has to be done prior to any other big expenditures. That probably means that hunting season for me will have to wait till next year. However, that leaves me plenty of time to get better with my firearms and speak to this forum to learn more about hunting.

My main reason for asking is simply, I'm disabled and it is very difficult to get into the outdoors and I value all areas, however, I'd rather not spend scouting time in areas that have no hunting value. I do value the outdoors and the wildlife that live there and I am not trying to destroy the peace I find there, but I am trying to maximize my efforts. I am asked, being disabled, why try and hunt? The simple answer is that I believe I am working to obey a commandment from God, just as I have in concentrating my efforts, till now, in providing a future for my family. I have received a great deal of information and advice through asking these questions. As pointed out I am already in the area, which means I have taken the time to get outside and am simply looking for directions for scouting. I have never flown a drone and don't know what sounds they make. I have also never played a video game, but understand the comparison being made. Understanding that comparison, has helped me understand one thing. Live life as I always have, hands on and not through someone else's eyes.

The reason I respond to you is, you were angry about my question. I am not trying to convince you of anything, but rather inform you that I am asking experienced outdoor folks advice on how best to proceed, before I do something stupid.
Some of the Vets I know have devised ways to mobilize all terrain chairs for this very purpose, check with your Veterans groups in your area and you may find a means to "put boots on the ground" so to speak, also if your area allowes horses many can be rented from outfitters. That would make scouting easier. I know when I hunted Colorado, pack strings and outfitters we're everywhere.
Good Hunting 😉

Don’t quit asking the questions that you need answers for.
I am glad to see you pushing through to achieve your goals.
My grandson in-law was 82nd, Jump instructor, quick response team, Ft. Bragg
One too many jumps, takes it's toll. Now almost 2 years out he still has his days.
For what it's worth "Semper Fi"

In the process of looking for property, which has to be done prior to any other big expenditures. That probably means that hunting season for me will have to wait till next year. However, that leaves me plenty of time to get better with my firearms and speak to this forum to learn more about hunting.
Dancer, I spent 24 years in Tx. 33 here in Arkansas, have a lease north of Delight.
Arkansas has a mobility rule that allows for hunting from 4whellers and side by sides, Give it a look.

How’d I miss this gem? I’ve been wishing I had a drone for weeks to get better looks at animals.

My favorite part of this thread is Ontariohunter’s picture him riding a whole bull elk in the back of a truck as an example of hardship hunting/reward.

dancepro get a drone and disregard all the soapbox bullshit here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back