Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

scope upgrade for my 300wm

GlockZ

Looking for some opinions. i have a a Ruger M77 in 300wm, currently there is a Leopold VX-1, 3-9x40 installed on it. Was curious if i should invest in a new scope, like something with a 50mm objective, for better long range ability and precision. thank you in advance

The clarity, repeatable componentry, and ability to mount lower to the bore of a vx3 40mm bell is worth considering.

If you are going to upgrade get a 30mm tube. it lets in way more light than a 1 inch tube with a 50mm bell.

You'll get more light transmission with better quality lenses and larger objectives. The 30mm tube allows for more adjustment. A 50mm objective won't give you more "long range ability and precision." More magnification will help at longer yardage. As for the ability and precision, totally up to you. mtmuley

Bigger objective = heavier scope to haul around. If you're packing it around a lot I'd go with a quality 40-44mm objective scope and save the weight.

Either a 3.5 x 10 or 4.5 x 14 vx3 with cds would do everything you could ever ask of your rifle. I have the 4.5 x 14 40mm on my Model 70 300 and it's a great fit. Great in low light, 13.5 ounces, fits low to the bore for a good fit. No need to over think some things just go for it you won't regret it.

Last edited:
50mm is going to give you better light transmission. I'm not sure what you mean by "long range ability and precision" but merely changing objective size will not do much.

Looking for some opinions. i have a a Ruger M77 in 300wm, currently there is a Leopold VX-1, 3-9x40 installed on it. Was curious if i should invest in a new scope, like something with a 50mm objective, for better long range ability and precision. thank you in advance

What do you consider long range? How much do you practice, and what kind of "precision" are you looking for?

i mis-spoke Belly Deep. I realize with a larger obj. lens you wouldn't get long range precision, but most of the time with the larger lens you get much higher magnification and better clarity, then you can with a smaller obj. lens.

I have a Vortex Viper HST, 6-24x. With a 50mm objective. I really like it and can dial way out with it. Further than I am proficient. I also have a 20MOA EGW rail that gives me some more range.

If you are going to upgrade get a 30mm tube. it lets in way more light than a 1 inch tube with a 50mm bell.
Tube diameter does not, in any meaningful way, affect light transmission.

To the OP, unless you are shooting at ranges that require one to twist turrets I think the money spent on a scope upgrade would be better put into other items.

Either a 3.5 x 10 or 4.5 x 14 vx3 with cds would do everything you could ever ask of your rifle. I have the 4.5 x 14 40mm on my Model 70 300 and it's a great fit. Great in low light, 13.5 ounces, fits low to the bore for a good fit. No need to over think some things just go for it you won't regret it.

On a hunting rig I couldn't agree more! I own (4) 4.5-14 x40 VX3's w CDS and have been more than pleased with their performance, reliability, and light weight.

If you are wanting a scope for a long range bench rest rifle, that's another animal.

If you want a great, dependable scope, go with the SWFA line of scopes. They are bit heavy, but the turrets are repeatable and the scope is a tank. I use the fixed 6x and now have a 10x to try, but their 3x9 has a great following, also.

So far, I'd take nhy's reccomendation. Can't beat a VX-3i with CDS. You don't need a 1 inch tube, 50mm lens or 20 MOA rail on a hunting rifle. I see DanO has the same advice. mtmuley

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back