scope recommendations for wife

VAspeedgoat

I don't think I've ever seen this posted and I know what some of you are wondering. You are saying just buy her a good scope. That is what I was going to do and just get a 3-9 vx2 and be done. However, I put a lot of time into finding a gun that fit her well so that shooting wasn't awkward for her but until now I never considered the scope. Practice as she may, one day she will shoot great lime its second nature and the next time with the same gun she may have trouble getting her eye lined up in the scope. It has gotten better over time.

I was wondering if a longer eye releif or a scope with a larger ocular lense would help? I would appreciate any advise on helping her with this and would also like suggestions on scope models if you guys have any. Thanks.

I don't like large objective lenses on a scope, especially on a hunting scope. You said occular lense, I don't think you will find much practical difference between scopes in the 3-9x range. As far as eye relief, unless you go with an intermediate "scout" scope most are within a fraction of an inch on eye relief. Some scopes seem more forgiving when it comes to field of view within eye relief range.

I would say in a 3-9x the VX2 you are looking at is a very good choice.

One thing that she should definitely be practicing is mounting the gun with both eyes open while watching the target.

I'm very happy with my 3-9x40 VX2 on my .300 win mag. It's got plenty of eye relief even on a magnum heavy recoiling rifle. I agree with Gut Shot about having her find her target with both eyes open. That worked great with my wife when she first started shooting.

I think you're on to something, and the Leupold 6x42 and VX3 2.5-8x36 come to mind.

It doesn't seem like she is shy of the scope. I find her moving too far back and to close trying to find the scope. That and moving up and down and side to side. Then its like she finds it and everything is ok for a while. I'm worried when she finally goes and has a chance at something she will take too much time getting ready she will blow the chance. It may just be a practice issue though I feel she has put in enough time that it should be more natural. Which leads me to a fit issue. Like most things its probably several issues at once. Just seeing what you guys thought on fixing the problem with either practice/mechanics or if a scope model may help more than others.

When she gets a full scope, put a piece of tape on the stock by her cheek. Next time she will know that she will get full scope when when her cheek touches the tape.

I she is having trouble finding the right eye relief, you might look at finding the most comfortable cheek position for her and adjusting the scope forward or back to meet her. Have her close her eyes and get into the most comfortable position she can and mark it with tape or something similar. Repeat this a few times and from different shooting positions. Once she is consistently mounting the rifle, make the necessary adjustments to the scope.

Until you find that spot where she wants to be, you are just going to be chasing things around.

Does she need the comb of the stock adjusted? That was my wife's issue. You can find kits on Amazon that have different sized foam pads to adjust to where she is right on the stock where she needs to be each time.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2090149322&pf_rd_i=desktop

This.

Also, which is her dominant eye? If she's a righty and trying to use her left eye (or vice versa) that would explain her troubles.

It doesn't sound like an eye relief issue at all. I think it's cheek weld/alignment issues.

Also, which is her dominant eye? If she's a righty and trying to use her left eye (or vice versa) that would explain her troubles.

It doesn't sound like an eye relief issue at all. I think it's cheek weld/alignment issues.

I was going to say maybe eye dominance issues as well.
This can be a real problem for some people - the struggle is real.

Had a similar issue with my wife and 25 stitches in her eyelid/socket. Went from a 3-9x40 to a 6x36 and it made all the difference in the world. Generous eye relief, no changes due to magnification, and perfect for her shot range.

Never considered the eye dominance issue. I have heard about having a person point and then close one eye and then the other to determin dominant eye, is this how to do it? Also do you try to convert them to a lefty or is there something else to try. I hope there is something else because I just got her a right handed rifle.

JR, why do you think the 6x36 helped? I'm curious because I've heard others talk about fixed power scopes being better for the same reason.

The tape idea on the stock is a great idea and I had thought a little about cheek weld. I have seen accuriser cheek peices and like them, does anyone have other reccomendations? John, I'll check yours out this evening.

Thank you all.

Fixed power scopes typically have more eye relief than variables.

To check eye dominance, have your wife hold her hand at arms length with her thumb up. With both eyes open, focus on an object about 15-20 feet away. Keeping both eyes open, have her slowly bring her thumb towards her. She will line the object and thumb up with her dominant eye as she moves her hand towards her.

You can retrain them to close their dominant eye, or retrain them to shoot from their weak hand side. Part of it depends on the level of eye dominance.

Women oftentimes need a higher comb on the stock than men do. Check the dominance issue first. If that's not the issue, have her hold her cheek on the stock like she's going to shoot and move the scope front to back and see if it's an eye relief issue. Watch her cheek/facial alignment on the stock and if she's having to put more of her jaw on the comb of the stock then you need to shim it like John suggested.

Have her look through tactical model scopes. They are made for fast target finding. They will be lower magnification. Also try different rings that are lower or higher. Let me know if it helps.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back