Scope Mounting Video

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
I get a lot of questions about scopes and accuracy. Before I decided to learn the scope mounting process from start to finish, I had some of those same questions. I am not sure how many scopes I've mounted, but given I am sent new scopes and/or rifles just about every year, I get a lot of practice.

That said, I am not an expert. Yet in forcing myself to do it, making a few mistakes along the way, I have really learned a lot about what goes into this important process of mounting the scope to the rifle. Anymore, if I have an accuracy issue, I can troubleshoot it pretty quickly.

DSC00719.JPG

https://youtu.be/vdf-4qTMego

I hope you find some benefit in this video. I suspect some of the guys who mount more scopes than I do can chime in with some tips and ideas to improve what I have shown here.

Even if you have someone mount your scopes, by doing a few yourself, you will gain a better understanding of how this process influences the accuracy of your set up. I suspect a lot of blame placed on rifles, scopes, ammo, and shooters is attributable to the inexperienced high school kid working at the big box store who got stuck mounting scopes on the new rifles customers purchased that week.

Really enjoyed the video. I usually have my scope put on where I buy it.

Alternatively, my brother's hunting partner has most of the equipment and together they put it together and bore sight it.

Never had to do it myself. Interesting process.

Great video Randy. Where could I pick up a set of those lapping rods?

Click on the image below:

41VAkQhtepL.jpg

This Wheeler Engineering kit is the best "kit" I have found. You can buy tools/pieces separately, such as the lapping rods, but it will cost you a lot more and I find this kit to be very good quality. Right now at the Amazon link shown above, it is $55 off. Screaming deal.

The Wheeler kit is indispensable, use mine a bunch for my mounting and son/SIL's gear. Good video Randy

I have a gun that lost its accuracy. I was looking at that kit on Amazon two days ago. Awsome video and perfect timing. I've always had scopes mounted where I buy them but I'm losing any confidence in people working on my gear. Now I'm gonna do all my own work

Where do you find out the torque specs from the base/ring manufacturer? Or is there just a universal torque

I have used a Wheeler system for years.
Have some custom made levels too.
I tend to over tighten things and a torque wrench/driver is way to go.

Ask maker about torque specs for each model base if not clear.
I had a Talley base that I called about ,glad I did. I was just using SOP from Wheeler and would have been under torqued.

Great video Randy. Love to see how your channel is growing.

The comments section is disabled for some reason on this video...not sure if that is on purpose? Also, build a "how to" playlist as I know you'll have more of these style videos in the coming months.

Great video Randy. Love to see how your channel is growing.

The comments section is disabled for some reason on this video...not sure if that is on purpose? Also, build a "how to" playlist as I know you'll have more of these style videos in the coming months.

Hmmm. Not sure how comments got disabled. Some comments were left yesterday. YouTube gremlins, I suspect.

This one is under the "equipment" playlist. I'm kind back and forth on what is "equipment" and what is "how to."

Great video. Lacking any of the tools you have I may take my gun in to get my scope remounted as I did it on my own originally and kind of eyeballed it. Killed a lot of critters with it but have never been super excited about my groups at the range. Getting it mounted the right way will at least eliminate one variable that could cause poor grouping.

Good video. Nobody should be scared to mount a scope as it a pretty simple process. This video will really help some people get over that fear.

I think there a few misconceptions about the process of leveling the scope though. I'm not saying anything in this video is wrong but I do things a little different. I don't really care if my scope is level to my action. It doesn't hurt if it is but what is more important is that your reticle is level to the world. This makes sure that when I move my dials they are going straight up and down or left and right. This really comes into play when you start stretching your shots out. Your elevation needs to be in line with gravity.

The easiest way I have found to accomplish this is with a plumb bob. I usually do this in the prone position as that is the position that I normally shoot. I shoulder the rifle to whatever position is comfortable to me and level my reticle to the plumb bob. This gives me the best chance of having a level reticle as it was setup to how I hold the rifle.

If I was setting a rifle up for someone else I would level the scope to the action.

A level scope really doesn't effect your accuracy unless you are dialing to hit targets are longer ranges. Your reticle could be canted 45 degrees and still shoot the same groups at whatever range you zero at.

This is one of the better tools I have found to level the scope to the action

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...ers/vertical-reticle-instrument-prod6097.aspx

Great point about accuracy, Randy. It seems like Gun makers would sell more pre-mounted combos, knowing that a poor mounting job makes some shooters think the rifle isn’t accurate.

Great video.
Always good to see products I worked on. At the time I remember thinking no one will ever use these.

Good video! Like those level's, where did you find them? To bore sight I hang a target on the door down the hall and sight from a table with rest. That clamp rest you used is a lot better deal. That tool for sighting on the end of the barrel is great idea too. After bore sighting, I fire one shot at 25 yds and then resite and move the cross wire's from the sight point to the bullet hole. Then 100yds and same thing again. I've never lapped my rings but I can't justify the tools to do it with, especially these days as I just don't shoot a lot anymore. That stuff you called glue for the screw threads, blue loc tight? I mounted a scope years ago, set of Redfield one piece base's. Used red loc tight for the screw's in the base's. Wanted to change the mount's and couldn't get the screw's out. Had to go to a gunsmith to get them out! He's the one that told me to use blue loc tite! The one scope I had mounted in the shop where I got the rifle was awful. Eye relief was off and scope was canted badly. Redid it myself at home!

I get a lot of questions about scopes and accuracy. Before I decided to learn the scope mounting process from start to finish, I had some of those same questions. I am not sure how many scopes I've mounted, but given I am sent new scopes and/or rifles just about every year, I get a lot of practice.

That said, I am not an expert. Yet in forcing myself to do it, making a few mistakes along the way, I have really learned a lot about what goes into this important process of mounting the scope to the rifle. Anymore, if I have an accuracy issue, I can troubleshoot it pretty quickly.

View attachment 52455

I hope you find some benefit in this video. I suspect some of the guys who mount more scopes than I do can chime in with some tips and ideas to improve what I have shown here.

Even if you have someone mount your scopes, by doing a few yourself, you will gain a better understanding of how this process influences the accuracy of your set up. I suspect a lot of blame placed on rifles, scopes, ammo, and shooters is attributable to the inexperienced high school kid working at the big box store who got stuck mounting scopes on the new rifles customers purchased that week.
Great info!

I'm getting ready to re-mount a scope on one rifle and mount two others on two new rifles. In the process, I reviewed this update to your earlier guide. Thanks for all your insights, Big Fin. You make it look easy!

I suspect a lot of blame placed on rifles, scopes, ammo, and shooters is attributable to the inexperienced high school kid working at the big box store who got stuck mounting scopes on the new rifles customers purchased that week.
I'm pretty sure this was the cause of my particular issue. '-)

Back