Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

School me on e collars

BrentD

I'm looking for a new e collar for my golden, Gus. The two we had (Dogtra) are finally toast - and good riddance. I cursed them often, though they were effective - just poorly designed.

So who makes the best collars now? I definitely want a vibrator mode which is what I use 99% of the time. It helps me get Gus's attention and he can see where I am or where I'm pointing without me making a lot of noise that only serves to alert birds and disrupt whatever passes for serenity in an Iowa landscape. Otherwise the only reason I really need the shocking part is when he insists on chasing deer, as he did today - this one being dead and lying just below the county highway. He has mostly learned to not run the live ones, but dead is too much.

One that has even sorta decent ergonomics would be nice too. My main gripe with Dogtra is that its transmitter was designed by an alien lifeform that came from a universe where the laws of physics were exactly contrary to our own.

Anyway, what's favored out there today? Light for the dog, easy and quick to use for me (with gloves), dependable. With a vibrator. Any other features that I don't know I want?

Thanks

Pa8vqcq[1].jpg

Last edited:
Sportdog for us. Actual working range about half of what is advertised.

Depending on the model, can operate two and three dog collars with one controller handset. And depending on model, vibrate, vibrate/tone and all juice options available. The rechargable collar battery life will last from sunrise to sunset on a well behaved boy who needs little electronic help. Some knucklehead (Trooper, I'm looking at you!!) dogs might need a dose of recharge if you are going hard all day and constantly ranging too far out for my preferences. (In his defense, his father and grandfather were champs at quail/horseback hunting tests and bred to range way off to find scattered coveys)

Mine's from Lion Country Supply, but is just a house branded Sportdog and they now only carry the SD. Only issue I've had is that I lost the remote when it come off the lanyard. Quite happy with it otherwise. I use the tone function a ton!

My ex was pretty pissed when I used one on her o_O
Current wife didnt think much of it either. 🤣

I have a Garmin which I believe is similar to the older tritronics. No complaints works flawlessly but I've got nothing to compare it to. The remote is definitely water proof it fell out of the pocket of my waders in about two feet of water. I finally found it about a week later floating in the weeds. It was a little below freezing every night that week. Picked it up and tried it, still works!

Used this one for the past few years and have no complaints. Collar has a light that can be turned on with the remote and can also be used as a bark collar if that matters.

rLMED7o.jpg

I've got the Garmin Sport Pro and it has served me very well. It is very simple to use and has both vibe and ton functions. It also accepts up to 3 collars off of one remote. I've never had an issue with range on it with my dog.
One feature I really like is the LED headlights the collar has. I use that a ton when I run him after work in the winter and it's dark at 5 o'clock.
1580939213773.png

Edit: Looks like Fair Chase beat me to it, haha. I second what he says.

I have used the sportDog waterfowl exclusively and it has worked great. He is 95% trained so I rarely go passed vibe/tone mode. It's just in case a porcupine, skunk, or rattlesnake gets too curious for him!

I've got the Garmin Sport Pro and it has served me very well. It is very simple to use and has both vibe and ton functions. It also accepts up to 3 collars off of one remote. I've never had an issue with range on it with my dog.
One feature I really like is the LED headlights the collar has. I use that a ton when I run him after work in the winter and it's dark at 5 o'clock.
View attachment 127530

Yup this is the one I was referring to also. I wasn't at home so I couldnt take a pic.

I'm a Tri-tronics guy Myself. Haven't had to upgrade to the Garmin Models yet because the old tri-tronics one keeps on working. I also like the old cylinder style remotes for training. But they can be cumbersome on a hunt.

If I were buying a collar, I'd be looking at a garmin first and then comparing it to the Sport Dog Models.

You know what would be really cool? A collar that would talk to OnX on my phone.

HEY @onX Hunt

Can you whip this up for me? Doesn't need to be continuous tracking and all that sort of bells and whistles. But something that would tell me on request Gus is 40 meters NNW. Would be frigging IDEAL!

I was in your position about 4 years ago and ended up going with the Garmin Tritronics Pro 70 as it seemed like a fair price and had pretty good reviews. I have been using it since and really like the unit. Haven’t had any issues with water and the battery life is pretty good. In think cover hunting upland birds the signal distance does decrease significantly though.

View attachment 127530

I'll third this one. I got one this year for our new pup, my old tri tronics finally shit the bed after 10 years the battery in the collar went bad.

I use the Garmin Sport Pro as well. I’ve used it for almost five years. Last year the battery on the collar died but I was able to order a replacement for pretty cheap. It took me 5 minutes to put the new one in.

Like Wild Bill, I really like the led light feature. It’s pretty helpful on dark mornings.

Back