Caribou Gear Tarp

Schmalts hunts Elk near Gardiner

"At least Buzz stays in the closet most of the time, but that picture of him with his trapped furs, and that womans hat was a dead givaway (schmalts)"

...ah, you mean the elmer fudd, 'I'm tough enough to wear a gay hat' pic?:D

LMAO

I like Buzz's hats.

the News Boys hats are my favorite.
cant get them around here,.....most place only sell mens hats.

This is what it's like when they shut it down..

Shoots-straight, As I said, nothing new. These clippings were from a 1938 newspaper a friend of mine copied for me. His grandfather was there and said many elk tumbled into the river from the cliffs along Deckard Flats and these numbers probably don't reflect all the elk that actually died. I cannot imagine what it would look like to actually KILL nearly 1200 elk in ONE DAY on those flats. The day Schmalts and I were there, maybe 2 were killed.

Attachments

• Jardine.jpg
    Jardine.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 605
1100+ dead elk in one day? Wow can you imagine the yote hunting a day or two after with all those gut piles. What dreams are made of.

wow, the stories are true... I guess it could still happen, i mean a huge heard with big bulls could walk out of that area and get ambushed and corn holed by horse men

I bet the fuggin snow had to be neck deep in the park to get em to move like that. What else could have done that?

I've heard stories that you never needed a rifle, just a good set of running shoes. There were enough dead elk laying around, you just ran out and tagged one. The stories of the "firing line" are legendary.

I like the part where it said hundreds of hunters surrounded the elk... That meant that they just opened up killing more than one each. Hundreds killed 1100. Game wardens should live there. I've seen first hand how hunters get when a elk herd shows up. Must be how wolves feel before the kill.

I sat with a game warden up the East Fork during a smaller version of a shoot out. Hunters where shooting more than one elk right in front of him. Others where shooting spikes. It was ugly. One herd of elk started the morning with over 200 in it and at days end there were 11 mostly spikes and of the spikes 4 or 5 had been shot. Pack-en legs and such. Either sex seasons bring out the worst in hunters and brings out the worst of the hunting public.

I've worked to eliminate either-sex seasons for this reason. People jump on the band wagon to go hunt because of the easy opportunity. Most, if forced to it wouldn't apply for a cow tag before season because of the lack of importance to them. Hence they wouldn't go hunting during regular season because they would have to work for a bull. The FWP is after hunter opportunity, the more hunters out in the field the better, and the more elk killed the better. If everything is up (kill and hunter numbers) then they have done a good job. That's what their under the gun to strive for.

The old elk management plan for the East Fork of the Bitterroot had a cap of 12,000 hunter days in there. Today on the statistic page of their web site I see that they record 22,000 hunter days. The new management plan doesn't even mention hunter numbers. When will a limit be placed on the numbers of hunters recreating? I think if they promoted a more quality oriented hunt that this would increase hunters just not the gang bang type.

Either sex seasons bring out the worst in hunters and brings out the worst of the hunting public. I've worked to eliminate either-sex seasons for this reason.

You're logic has some major flaws. I've seen similar actions on cow-only hunts, and in the case of Schmalts' hunt, branch bull only hunts. Eliminating any seasons and reducing hunting opportunities has nothing to do with slobs and idiots.

You'd be better off just eliminating the hunting by people who reside in Ravalli and Missoula counties, except for those who have resided there for more than 25 years.

You're logic has some major flaws. I've seen similar actions on cow-only hunts,

If the cow-only was was any open to any elk tag carrying hunter then the same chit went down, as the either sex season. It all hinges on hunter opportunity and spur of the moment, grab your old grandpa's 30-30 and lets go get one mentality. Was the hunt your on a branch antlered bull only hunt or either sex season. I'll look that up but I think it's a either sex season and my point exactly.
You'd be better off just eliminating the hunting by people who reside in Ravalli and Missoula counties, except for those who have resided there for more than 25 years.

The flaw is in your post you've got the same stuff over there Greenhorn, I believe that Bozemen Belgrade area has been populated by duffs just as Western Montana. It's the hunter opportunist that gets all excited at the prospect of a easy kill that's the problem in my opinion.

The guy that fills out his application in May and sends it in, makes plans to hunt, studies his prey, shoots his gun and prepares for hunting season all year isn't the problem. Either sex season's are. The FWP's sent down the word last year that the elk had to be killed, and killed in a five week season time frame with lots of hunter opportunity available. The kill didn't satisfy them and now we're on our 7 week of general season over there in the 300's.

I don't see my logic as having any flaws at at all.

Thinkscrooked, you are WAY flawed. It was a branch bull only hunt. So you honestly think that those who send in applications in May are somehow more ethical hunters? It must be that Bitterroot bong water you are smelling.

It's not the FWP or the seasons.

Is Thinkscrooked a word? A Bozemen term?

It's not the FWP or the seasons.

Greenhardhead, of course it's not the FWP's but the season does in fact bring out of the woodwork hunters that just get caught up in the excitement for a easy kill. Hell people buy tags, go purchase rifles, bore sight them, and go hunting because of this... Go hang out at your local sportings goods store if you will. The week leading up to opening day. You'll be embassased that you belong to such a group. I've seen that lots of in-experienced hunters applied for the cow tags that the FWP's use to give out over in Gardner and things got ugly, but they still had to apply for the tag and plan to hunt. Not your looser bar groupie gathering a bunch of drunks for a(we oda go get a any elk) mash-em up hunt. This group is way worse.

Yes, I do believe that the guys that take hunting seriously and live all year long preparing for season are way more knowledgeable about ethics and hunting than the spur of the moment got my neighbors gun for a hunt guy.

That hunt was just brow-tined bull? No cows? I can';t get into hunt planner on the FWP's web site.

Shoots-crooked, tell me.. how should it be? No either sex seasons.. for what, elk, deer, bear, antelope, what else? Why? How? You don't like the idea of a 5-week season that doesn't cater toward (late hunts) the large private ranch management hunts? How should that work? Let's hear it. This will be interesting.

Ok Greenie, I like Branch Antlered Bull with cow permits. Issue so many as to get the kill. Same numbers of elk shot just not the numbers of hunters out getting into it. Saves bulls too. Either sex season bring high numbers of hunters out for the opportunity and more numbers end up running into bulls than otherwise would have. I also like A-7's tags but the new way the Fish and game use regular cow permits it's a wash... If more elk need to be removed then a late cow hunt with people that already have the permit are allowed to hunt. FWP personal feel that season's are too confusing. I feel if elk live yearlong on private property, and they don't allow the general public in to hunt, (say block management or other wise) then those numbers of elk should be removed from the hunt-able numbers that are allowed to live in a given area..

The FWP's director didn't like the season structure to get out of the 5 week season. If I'm correct isn't that what we're doing now.

No either sex seasons.. for what, elk, deer, bear, antelope, what else?

I feel that the only season that gets out of hand and looses quality because of the either sex season is the elk hunts. I guess people get fired up over cows and bulls almost equally.

I'd also like for the FWP's to follow the elk management plan for every area, and follow the season structure's as they apply...

Greenie what say you.. Do you like either sexual seasons??? or just any sexual position.

Ok Greenie was my reply everything you'd hoped for?

Not everything I'd hoped for - but everything I expected.

You should try for a seat on the FWP commission. :D

You should try for a seat on the FWP commission.

Wouldn't get it because:

1). To Ugly.
2). Don't wear cowboy hats.
3). Won't kiss politicians arses.
4). Think that the director of Fish Wildlife and parks should be an elected position. Also each district should have elected commissioners.

Not everything I'd hoped for

Now?

Now

Wouldn't get it because:
1). To Ugly.

Shoots straight sounds like a a guy from Hamilton with initials RW, if so the too ugly part is true ;)

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back