Scent Control and Snacks

Scent control may be of some value when stationary and hunting from a stand but If you’re hunting the mountains on foot the critters will think you smell like a people no matter what. Eat whatever you like, won’t matter. Play the wind and mind the thermals.

For scent protection, grab a handful of elk / deer milk duds and smear them in your armpits and crotch area. The softer and still with their shiny sheen the better.

Joke... humor
I had to consider this suggestion very carefully. As a kid, an elderly Indian woman and friend, told me about collecting rabbit turds with mold on them and soaking them to collect the medicine, from the mold. Turns out to be penicillin. I am allergic to penicillin, so I can't do as you suggest. I raised hogs for a while and stepped in a great deal of pig feceses and noticed that it was easier for me to handle my animals. So a slight modification to your suggestion, step onto as much shiny new deer turds as possible and they should parade up to me. One problem I see, you may be able to help with. How do I keep them from following me home? Scat is not as easy as you'd think to remove from your boots.

Lot's of agricultural activities in my area.
These guys are out in pastures checking cattle or checking row crops nearly every day. The deer get accustomed to their presence.
I have witnessed deer melt into a wooded area when "Farmer Brown" drives through checking cattle, only to reemerge once the sound of his vehicle fades away.

I never worry about wind or scent, I just hunt. Besides, with a box blind on a trailer, you don't just rearrange it to fit the wind profile each day! LOL!
I'm also told that box blinds help cover scent. Guess it works, I've had several deer come within probably 6 to 8 feet of my blind.

Snacks:

I stock my blind with peanut butter crackers and the small bottles of water.
If I'm hunting a morning, a small thermos of coffee and a sausage biscuit grace the shooting bench. I prefer to eat my biscuit just as the sun peeks out!
Hot coffee and a sausage biscuit always taste better while the world is waking up!

An afternoon hunt gets the same peanut butter crackers and water. Gotta keep "fresh" crackers in your blind! LOL!
I tried sitting all day one time and carried a couple of sandwiches with me.
I ate both sandwiches, killed nothing but time and got home after dark with my gut stuffed full! NOT good!

We all have different metabolic needs. You gotta figure out what yours is and match your intake to your activity level.

I had to consider this suggestion very carefully. As a kid, an elderly Indian woman and friend, told me about collecting rabbit turds with mold on them and soaking them to collect the medicine, from the mold. Turns out to be penicillin. I am allergic to penicillin, so I can't do as you suggest. I raised hogs for a while and stepped in a great deal of pig feceses and noticed that it was easier for me to handle my animals. So a slight modification to your suggestion, step onto as much shiny new deer turds as possible and they should parade up to me. One problem I see, you may be able to help with. How do I keep them from following me home? Scat is not as easy as you'd think to remove from your boots.
Sometimes we throw humor around within threads. This was more or less a humor post. If you highlight (select all or just highlight) you'll see a third line in "white-ish" color, "Joke... humor"
1620568587226.png

With that said, I have smeared some elk duds on my clothing on an occasion (or few) and dripped cow wizz on my boots during archery over the course of my average Joe hunting career. I can not claim it total humor though the idea of wiping duds directly onto armpits and crotch area is a bit of a stretch. :) Not to say I wouldn't consider wiping it on my clothing pit/crotch if archery hunting and concerned over some body odor stench... A hunter's gotta do what a hunter's gotta do. Haha!

Sometimes we throw humor around within threads. This was more or less a humor post. If you highlight (select all or just highlight) you'll see a third line in "white-ish" color, "Joke... humor"
View attachment 182779

With that said, I have smeared some elk duds on my clothing on an occasion (or few) and dripped cow wizz on my boots during archery over the course of my average Joe hunting career. I can not claim it total humor though the idea of wiping duds directly onto armpits and crotch area is a bit of a stretch. :) Not to say I wouldn't consider wiping it on my clothing pit/crotch if archery hunting and concerned over some body odor stench... A hunter's gotta do what a hunter's gotta do. Haha!
I caught your humor and slid a little back at you. The part of the rabbit crap is true and I did raise hogs, but the rest is pure humor. I need a bit more practice, evidentially.

Back