Scent Control and Snacks

Dancerpro

I know that prey animals live and die by their sense of smell. I also know that hunters get hungry during a long day of hunting. As hunters, we are predators and as meat eaters, we smell like it. What are good snacks for those long days of hunting?
I have reframed from saying HUNTING HARD, because I have not attended the Ricky Bobby School of Hunting.

trail mix, jerky, summer sausage, apples, pb/j on tortillas, different types of bars, freeze dried and a jet boil. All depends on the trip, but my general rule is being a lot, because I will eat it all and then my pack gets lighter as the trip progresses

edit: coffee, coffee, coffee

Last edited:
My opinion after hunting over 30 years. If the wind is right you’re fine. If it isn’t right a deer or elk is going to smell you no matter what you do or don’t eat.
Eat the snacks you enjoy.

Scent control is mostly marketing hype.

Depends on the trip. If I’m hunting in a backcountry situation where coolers or refrigeration is not practical I eat a freeze dried meal at lunch and snack the rest of the day. For snacks I bring nuts, tuna packs, chocolate, coffee, cheese, smoked salmon, summer sausage, deer sticks, jerky and a whole lot more. I ration them out before I leave home so at night I just have to take the garbage out of my pack, put a new food ziplock in my pack and go to sleep,

Get downs not hard... stay down?
Those little bastards give me the WORST heartburn ever. Plus that and a Rainier and you don’t wanna be in the same tent 😷

My opinion after hunting over 30 years. If the wind is right you’re fine. If it isn’t right a deer or elk is going to smell you no matter what you do or don’t eat.
Eat the snacks you enjoy.

Scent control is mostly marketing hype.
I do zero scent control, had 2 coyotes walk within 10 yards of my stand without noticing me.

Wind... it’s always the wind.

As others have said The scent control sprays are just a gimick a way to take your money
I use a lye soap every day of my life and do the same for hunting and always , always hunt the wind

Whatever costco has for packaged snacks - ends up in my pack...

I to hear though, a perk to the gucci wearing Sitka hunters, it's proven to block human wind... Least it eff'n should for the price paid!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back