SB 497 - Attack on Stream Access

It's getting harder and harder to like the Republicans in this state.

It's the perfect plan if you think about it. These politicians are too stupid to realize that they are voting themselves out by pandering to large corporations and the the wealthy individuals. Both of which that never represent conservative values.

When you force somebody like me to vote blue at some point, you know it's over. And that is the direction these shenanigans will push me. Not good, because a blue Montana is a dead Montana.

Can someone explain to me some examples of what could happen if this bill passes? What is a scenario where a government entity (Commissioners, Your local Fire Dept?) would put a sign up on someone's private property for them?
Maudlow on the Gallatin. Already can’t drive from dry creek to Townsend anymore, still a nice fishin walk until they halt that too. I’d imagine pretty much anywhere that has stream-accessible state land would become off limits one by one, two by two… I’ve seen some extremely official signs on public land up Jackson creek, only to call the forest service and find out those signs were posted illegally. Point is, I don’t suspect it would have to be legit county official to possess and/or post signs….

It's the perfect plan if you think about it. These politicians are too stupid to realize that they are voting themselves out by pandering to large corporations and the the wealthy individuals. Both of which that never represent conservative values.

When you force somebody like me to vote blue at some point, you know it's over. And that is the direction these shenanigans will push me. Not good, because a blue Montana is a dead Montana.
I like the purple version of Montana.

Anyway, have you let your legislators know that crap like this bill could make you (and potentially other sportsman) consider voting for candidates from other parties in state elections?

This is due to voters casting votes against their own interest. If voters quit voting on party lines we'd have a mix of representatives to prevent these kinds of BS bills. Take note on if your representatives vote for this. Then vote them out...don't threaten just vote them out for being anti-Montana

Go ask around your group of friends and see if they know anything about this. Odds are if they aren’t on hunttalk they won’t even know about this whole deal or even care because it won’t effect them which I’m not saying is right. Then you have the group that votes straight party line no matter what. Then there’s 90% of voters that aren’t effected by this so they wouldn’t care even if they knew about it which they probably dont. This won’t change the direction most Montanas vote

This is due to voters casting votes against their own interest. If voters quit voting on party lines we'd have a mix of representatives to prevent these kinds of BS bills. Take note on if your representatives vote for this. Then vote them out...don't threaten just vote them out for being anti-Montana
Exactly! Stop voting on party lines and vote for the individual. Sniff candidates out before the election and find out if there's actually brains stirring in their skulls or are they just party stooges. Forget about the color of their campaign signs.

Frankly, I can't see how a blue Montana could be any more dead than this red one. And that's the message the Republicans need to hear today ... and every day till the next election. I think most of them are worried more about sources of campaign funding drying up than their constituents' opinions. I expect this hearing will get a lot of media coverage. Hopefully by the end of the day there will be some very red faces peeking out of many senators' shoes. Reign them in, boys. And keep a tight reign on em. Maybe there's still hope you can make those party sheep into real men and women.

Go ask around your group of friends and see if they know anything about this. Odds are if they aren’t on hunttalk they won’t even know about this whole deal or even care because it won’t effect them which I’m not saying is right. Then you have the group that votes straight party line no matter what. Then there’s 90% of voters that aren’t effected by this so they wouldn’t care even if they knew about it which they probably dont. This won’t change the direction most Montanas vote
HT can be the place to find this information, but the beauty of social media is that we can make it go viral, fast. Have a little COVID brain going on at the moment, but I should have done this yesterday..

1677685591846.png

This bill started in the Senate so it must pass though the Senate favorably after which it goes to the house for a vote.
Gotcha. I misread what you'd typed earlier as "The House portion is still going down the road" (as though there was a similar bill moving through the House) instead of the "The House portion will happen down the road if/when it passes the Senate."

Exactly! Stop voting on party lines and vote for the individual. Sniff candidates out before the election and find out if there's actually brains stirring in their skulls or are they just party stooges. Forget about the color of their campaign signs.

Frankly, I can't see how a blue Montana could be any more dead than this red one. And that's the message the Republicans need to hear today ... and every day till the next election. I think most of them are worried more about sources of campaign funding drying up than their constituents' opinions. I expect this hearing will get a lot of media coverage. Hopefully by the end of the day there will be some very red faces peeking out of many senators' shoes. Reign them in, boys. And keep a tight reign on em. Maybe there's still hope you can make those party sheep into real men and women.
Here's an interesting article that appeared in the Flathead Beacon. It shows how the MTGOP is ostracizing former and current Republican lawmakers with a focus on Mark Racicot's experience.

https://flatheadbeacon.com/2023/03/01/governor-marc-racicot-rebuked-montana-republican-party/

Ben, this bill is so loosely worded I'm thinking the bastards have something up their sleeve. Some of the silliness, particularly what exactly is a "government entity," should have been fixed in the Judiciary Committee. Must be a bunch of lawyers sitting around that table. They must have been aware this kind of wording was problematic for enforcement. I'm thinking they sent it on purposely defective simply so the author(s) could offer up correctong amendments during debate as a sign of meeting the opposition half way. Please make it clear that Montana's public resources must remain public. There is no half way.

Also, again I ask what is the guide association's position on this?

The bill is up today on the second board.

Put the hammer down & give it hell.
For idjit heads such as myself, does that set of three bills on the second board get heard on the floor after they clear the first listed agenda for the day?

For idjit heads such as myself, does that set of three bills on the second board get heard on the floor after they clear the first listed agenda for the day?

Well it's a dynamic day in the capitol.

SB 497 is now on the bottom of the first board.

SB 287 is a few bills ahead of it.

I bet Montana was so much better back in the days that supporting, promoting or sponsoring legislation like this would be a threat to a persons physical safety, when in public.

It should either get back to that or take the stuff fetishizing vigilantism off the side of the highway patrol cars.

Butte is about the only place left a person needing a good ass kickin’ can get one and the ass kicker doesn’t have their life ruined for it.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back