SB 388 Revising upland bird regs for Non Residents

Hunting Wife

I didn’t see this one on here anywhere. Maybe I missed it. I had never heard of it until today.

SB388 revising upland bird regulations for nonresidents. Limits Nonresidents to 14 days of upland bird hunting. Prohibits nonresidents hunting the first week of pheasant season. Prohibits nonresidents from taking sage grouse.

Seems very similar to the regs in North Dakota. Honestly, after watching the insane increase in people showing up in September and staying for months, maybe this will reduce the crowding a bit.

Am I reading this wrong, doesn’t it read that it allows them to have two 14 day licenses?

Do I understand it correctly that the B-1 license holders can hunt the first week of the season, but the B-2 license holders may not?

I like this bill.

B-1 is for either a 14 day consecutive or for two seven consecutive day segments of the hunters choice.

No more than 14 days in any year.
Thanks. Clarifies that for me. Wonder how this will work for come home to hunt folks? 14 days for them too?

B-1 is for either a 14 day consecutive or for two seven consecutive day segments of the hunters choice.

No more than 14 days in any year.
Upon re-reading it, section 1 item 4 says two licenses may be purchased per year. So perhaps 4 weeks total?

And maybe the first week of pheasant and sage grouse prohibitions only apply to the B-2?

Sorry. Been a long week already and my reading comprehension sucks tonight.

Upon re-reading it, section 1 item 4 says two licenses may be purchased per year. So perhaps 4 weeks total?

And maybe the first week of pheasant and sage grouse prohibitions only apply to the B-2?

That is the way I read it also.

Section 2 and 4 seem to contradict each other.

I wouldn't be upset if every state adopted this.
Edit: just forwarded to my Representative to consider here.

Last edited:
I didn’t see this one on here anywhere. Maybe I missed it. I had never heard of it until today.

SB388 revising upland bird regulations for nonresidents. Limits Nonresidents to 14 days of upland bird hunting. Prohibits nonresidents hunting the first week of pheasant season. Prohibits nonresidents from taking sage grouse.

Seems very similar to the regs in North Dakota. Honestly, after watching the insane increase in people showing up in September and staying for months, maybe this will reduce the crowding a bit.

Good.....Long overdue....

Reactions: DFS
I wish MN would do the same with their fishing licenses, be a lot less crowding on the lakes!!

I’ll say it.

I think it sucks.

So am I going to have to buy an additional upland licenses to the one I already have to buy to apply for big game?

I hope the Assiniboine are a little behind enacting this kind of law.

Keep your eyes peeled as I’m gonna start selling off more of my guns.
The future of non-resident hunting of any kind in many states looks bleaker everyday.

If I get a deer tag I can hunt for 11 weeks(which I never do) but now I’ll only be able to bird hunt for 14 days(which I rarely do) the entire season( a four month period)

Wait. So this doesn't impact you at all, other than needing to potentially spend less than a tank of gas on a second 2 week license to hunt out of state for 4 weeks, but it's still a shit deal because you can't use a license you admittedly don't use for 4 months already?

Thanks. Clarifies that for me. Wonder how this will work for come home to hunt folks? 14 days for them too?

You will need to select the two weeks you wish to hunt upland in your combo license, is my understanding.

The B1 is the current season long upland license. The B2 is the 3 day upland license.

I drive a Toyota, so it’s more like two tanks of gas.

Not sure I follow you on the rest. Yeah I don’t use my current upland lics for four full months. I might currently use it for more than 14 days in that 4 month period. So now I might have to buy two.

And what if it rains and the roads are impassible for 5 days during my designated seven? Can’t get credit for them I’m sure.
It’s sort of like a death by a thousand cuts.

And why a total prohibition on Sage grouse? Why not tags for individual birds with funds earmarked to that species? Make it a drawing if you want.

I understand the first week of the season pheasant thing.

I feel my “hunting heritage” is threatened by the organizations that benefit the most from my investment in it. More and more often.

I think it sucks if it goes like I think it will. If I come out and hunt for a couple days, go home for 2 weeks come back to hunt again, I need a new license, no? And if I want to come back weeks after that, for a few more days, I'm screwed. These are 14 consecutive days whether you use them not, correct?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back