SB 388 Revising upland bird regs for Non Residents

Can't say I blame MT and its residents for wanting to place limits on NR upland hunters.

I wish MN would do the same with their fishing licenses, be a lot less crowding on the lakes!!

I wish ND would do the same with their fishing licenses to keep MN and WI guys in check.

If I get a deer tag I can hunt for 11 weeks(which I never do) but now I’ll only be able to bird hunt for 14 days(which I rarely do) the entire season( a four month period)
Not a very good comparison. You are able to kill 1 deer in 11 weeks (which needs to be shortened) vs 42 birds (assuming a 3 bird limit for pheasants) in 14 days as a non resident. I would say that is more than fair.

I’ll say it.

I think it sucks.

So am I going to have to buy an additional upland licenses to the one I already have to buy to apply for big game?

I hope the Assiniboine are a little behind enacting this kind of law.

Keep your eyes peeled as I’m gonna start selling off more of my guns.
The future of non-resident hunting of any kind in many states looks bleaker everyday.

If I get a deer tag I can hunt for 11 weeks(which I never do) but now I’ll only be able to bird hunt for 14 days(which I rarely do) the entire season( a four month period)
You can always go to another state that is more accommodating

Not a very good comparison. You are able to kill 1 deer in 11 weeks (which needs to be shortened) vs 42 birds (assuming a 3 bird limit for pheasants) in 14 days as a non resident. I would say that is more than fair.
I agree.
I think a four or five day season is a little short for big game.
I still sometimes give Colorado my money for the privilege for that time period.
I think Montana’s is way too long for a big game tag and I’m sure very few NRs hunt big game more than 10 days.
I haven’t killed a pheasant in Montana in two years. So your math doesn’t really mean squat. I’ve killed some Huns and sharptail though. And for the lengths of the days I’m hunting in the early season I like to have the option of hunting more days.
This moving of the goalposts affects my planning, regardless of how many days I actually hunt.
And you must be a much better hunter than me, if you kill you limit of what you’re after every time you go.

Last edited:
I also read and post on a site devoted to bird hunting. To say Montana is a dream destination for many is an understatement.

Much of the impetus for this bill is that unlike the Dakotas, a person can presently stay for many weeks and hunt far more than the typical resident or non-resident. That is virtually certain to be noticed and create some backlash.

Legal, but maybe not knowing when enough is enough.

With a 50-0 vote, it looks to me that it will go thru. How often can you get 50 politicians to see anything the same way?

I’ll say it.

I think it sucks.

So am I going to have to buy an additional upland licenses to the one I already have to buy to apply for big game?

I hope the Assiniboine are a little behind enacting this kind of law.

Keep your eyes peeled as I’m gonna start selling off more of my guns.
The future of non-resident hunting of any kind in many states looks bleaker everyday.

Great point!! Where is the big game hunting version of this legislation?

for years there was a group of guys on UJ that came to montana and never leave, non residents, bragging and showing photos of limits every day for weeks and months, that bunch did more hotspotting then any one i ever seen, and the webmaster allowed them to do it, i think he was part of them,,, then when couple got caught with limit issues they all freaked out, ran the residents down on hunting forums ect,,,, talk about additive mortality to a population of birds,,,,,,

if you want to hunt everyday of the season, move to montana , pay the taxes, deal with the weather and low paying jobs and hunt as much as your boss will let you,,,,
its about time residents get a little reprieve, i dont think non residents should get to hunt birds until the 2nd full week of the season and no more then 14 days a year, after montana, theres a bunch more states to check out, pass your money around to other states also,,,,

i think the very same issues are creeping up north of the border with non residents, i go and shoot the heck out of the light geese up north, if they choose to limit non residents , ill go some where else, it is what it is,,,,

at some point ,, all hunters are gonna have to take a hard look around about actual resources that are available to us, because those resources are dwindling,,,,,

for years there was a group of guys on UJ that came to montana and never leave, non residents, bragging and showing photos of limits every day for weeks and months, that bunch did more hotspotting then any one i ever seen, and the webmaster allowed them to do it, i think he was part of them,,, then when couple got caught with limit issues they all freaked out, ran the residents down on hunting forums ect,,,, talk about additive mortality to a population of birds,,,,,,

if you want to hunt everyday of the season, move to montana , pay the taxes, deal with the weather and low paying jobs and hunt as much as your boss will let you,,,,
its about time residents get a little reprieve, i dont think non residents should get to hunt birds until the 2nd full week of the season and no more then 14 days a year, after montana, theres a bunch more states to check out, pass your money around to other states also,,,,

i think the very same issues are creeping up north of the border with non residents, i go and shoot the heck out of the light geese up north, if they choose to limit non residents , ill go some where else, it is what it is,,,,

at some point ,, all hunters are gonna have to take a hard look around about actual resources that are available to us, because those resources are dwindling,,,,,
Utards and guys from Washington have taken over certain spots when it comes to bird hunting in eastern Mt. Hell we pulled a guy out of the snow bank from Florida last year saw him again this year and he was a total asshole. I know I can't stop population growth just depressed about what has happened over there the last twenty years.

Utards and guys from Washington have taken over certain spots when it comes to bird hunting in eastern Mt. Hell we pulled a guy out of the snow bank from Florida last year saw him again this year and he was a total asshole. I know I can't stop population growth just depressed about what has happened over there the last twenty years.
What is the preferred bird hunting flat brim? Ears in or out?

Effective date March 2024 so this coming season isn’t affected.

I’m pretty ambivalent either way. The retired guys with RV and a dog or two don’t bother me too much. The dog trainers with dog trailer spending the entire season training certainly do. It can also be disappointing seeing non-resident hunters spending the entirety of the season in even the less productive locales like those around me - it’s not just eastern MT.

Most NR bird hunters aren’t going to be affected. I know a couple retired falconers that spend a few months here that, unfortunately, will be.

The only constant is change.

Somebody shared this on the Facebook. How big of a goofball is Rhonda Knudsen?

1677891102472.png
I feel bad for non-resident hunters. They seem to be taking a beating across the west. I have close friends who are non-resident hunters. All that said, when it comes down to it, non-residents should lose opportunity before residents do.

We have much bigger fish to fry than what this bill will solely alleviate, but it’s a step in the right direction from what I have seen in the field and the trajectory of nonresident hunting pressure across Montana over the last couple decades.

Attachments

• 1677891037531.png
    1677891037531.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Well, she probably isn’t completely wrong. That said, it doesn’t mean this is a bad bill either. I think it’s a good idea.

And you must be a much better hunter than me, if you kill you limit of what you’re after every time you go.

And a better eater as well. I don't know what MT's possession limit is, but one catches up to pretty quick I imagine, especially shooting daily limits everytime (I didn't realize MT bird hunting was that stupendous).

After hearing stories from wardens the last few years like the guy picked up with 70 sharptails in his trailer, and a couple other guys with 200 pheasants getting pinched, it really does start to sway my feelings towards some limits on hunting days. For years the gal at one local cafe told us about the guys that came and left bags of birds in her walk-in so they could keep hunting. Or the guys at the bar that talk about feeding all the birds to their dogs to stay under possession. It’s kind of disgusting, honestly. If this puts a stop to, or at least reduces that kind of behavior, I can’t say I hate it.

I have a hard time believing the trucks you see out almost every day for two months straight are staying under possession.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back