SB 388 Revising upland bird regs for Non Residents

What is the problem? If only roosters are shot, increased hunting pressure would not substantially
impact the pheasant population.
If there is increased pressure, huns start flushing at 100 yards and sharptails learn to flush at 200 yards.
With increased pressure, hunting success on public land declines, as birds relocate to areas that are private,
or require sweat-equity.

Seems like the bill addresses a perceived human hunter crowding problem, not a bird population problem.
By allowing non-residents to hunt 28 straight days, would the bill substantially solve a perceived hunting pressure problem?

Why not delay openers for non-residents by 2 weeks?
Why not issue 5-day non-resident bird licenses that are valid only on weekdays?
If the problem is hunting pressure, reduce hunting pressure by resident-only days or weeks.

What is the problem? If only roosters are shot, increased hunting pressure would not substantially
impact the pheasant population.
If there is increased pressure, huns start flushing at 100 yards and sharptails learn to flush at 200 yards.
With increased pressure, hunting success on public land declines, as birds relocate to areas that are private,
or require sweat-equity.

Seems like the bill addresses a perceived human hunter crowding problem, not a bird population problem.
By allowing non-residents to hunt 28 straight days, would the bill substantially solve a perceived hunting pressure problem?

Why not delay openers for non-residents by 2 weeks?
Why not issue 5-day non-resident bird licenses that are valid only on weekdays?
If the problem is hunting pressure, reduce hunting pressure by resident-only days or weeks.
Agreed. I don't see this bill accomplishing much. Just makes it look like FWP is doing something without actually doing much if anything.

If they were concerned about too many birds being taken, they could initiate a punch card system like for salmon out on the coast. Every time an upland is harvested, punch out a slot in the card and add the date and species. That way the game warden knows how many birds are harvested each day and for the season. A limited number of punch outs controls how many birds the hunter can harvest per year. But it should apply to everyone, not just residents.

If the concern is nonresidents in the field crowding residents, I think your suggestion about closing nonresident hunting on weekends makes sense. I don't like to hunt weekends anyway. Gee, I wonder why? 90% of the slob hunters are locals. My experience anyway.

Current Bill Progress: In Second House Committee--Tabled
with vote 19-0

SENATE BILL NO. 512 is also noteworthy:
the commission shall by rule limit the number of nonresident game bird licenses to 10%
of the number of licenses purchased the previous year by residents

Is the bill to limit nonresident bird licenses to 10% of the number
of licenses purchased the previous year by residents dead?
April 6 : (S) Missed Deadline for Revenue Bill Transmittal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back