Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Savage 99C Lever Action in 243

RobG

My father in law just offered me a Savage 99C lever action .243. We figure it was made in 1960 or so. It has a tang safety and clip (sic ;)) so I don't need blunt bullets. I know nothing about this model and to be honest I don't want to store an arsenal of rarely used guns. However, it might be nice for my wife since she is left handed and my son already shoots a .243 so we'll have ammo.

Levers allegedly are less accurate than bolts. How accurate will this be? My father in law hunts back east so the shots are short, but my wife may need to take shots out to 300 yards.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 985
Last edited:
I own two 99s and they shoot anywhere from 1-1.5" at 100 yards. I still need to finish some load development, but I'm sure they'll shoot well. All you can do it take it out and see if you can find some ammo it likes.

ps - the beauty of savage 99s is that they all had a rotary magazine and can shoot pointy bullets.

I guess it might be cool for Sam to get his next deer with his great grandpa's 0.243, and his next elk with his other great grandpa's 30'06.

Looks like you could have a fun little project refinishing the stock too. My 99F in 284win is a similar press checkered stock that needs some love. As soon as I get enough gumption to take it on I'm going to make it purty. Maybe I should just bait JLS to come over and feed him cold smoke and smoked meats and get him to do it for me. LOL

Save it for your son. I have several family firearms I seldom use but will never get rid of. It is fun to take game with them and I feel it honors them as well as it being like a little bit of them is with me while I'm hunting with it.

Last edited:
It's a good rifle and with the right ammo, will be a 300 yard gun. JR's idea of a project for refinishing is a good one. Nice father/son project.

I killed my first deer with a Savage 99 in .243. Wish I had it now.

Attachments

• firstbuck.jpg
    firstbuck.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 441
Brother ended up with dad's .300 Savage lever. Has been hunting with it for 25+ years. Usually takes him three rounds each year to be spot on to 200 (his limit as he says)...

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back