Satin stainless vs cerakote

VikingsGuy

So, working up specs for a custom rifle. My opening assumption is I would go stainless steel action, bolt, bolt knob, picatinny rail and barrel and thread protector. I would have “satin”/bead blasted to take the shine off. But now I am also considering cerakoting the whole barrel/action/rail setup. Any thoughts, preferences, considerations or pictures that will help me along the decision process?

EDIT: - Also will add, this is primarily going to be a hunting rifle if that matters to anyone.

Last edited:
Satin stainless. Cerakote can wear through and is tricky when doing the action/bolt but since this is for a custom they could make it work.

Also, you can’t cerakote the inside of the barrel which is another reason to go stainless as that will have better protection all the way through the material.

My main 2 hunting rifles are all stainless or aluminum for this exact reason, no cerakote or blued steel anywhere on them.

Last edited:
I prefer cerakote especially depending on what colors you choose for your stock. Depending on what action you choose some have a coated bolt already and Id leave that as is.

I prefer cerakote especially depending on what colors you choose for your stock. Depending on what action you choose some have a coated bolt already and Id leave that as is.
Thanks - Vendors with pre-coated bolts are probably off my list either way - if I go satin stainless I want all metal the same. If I go cerakote it will be to a grayish color and I won’t want the pre-coated black bolt and risk coating a second time.

What if you want to hunt around salty air someday? ;)

IMO, more protection is better. If you are already dropping thousands on a custom, why mince around about $140?

Years ago I did have a Remington 700 SA nickel plated so there's that. Also bought a high dollar steel trigger guard to have it blued to match the rest of the gun.

At this point probably black matte scope rings with black matte Leupold scope. Rings will be my final set/choice once I see the action/barrel in the stock.
Get black matte aluminum or else you will have a weak link in your corrosion resistance :)

Get black matte aluminum or else you will have a weak link in your corrosion resistance :)
Good point. I have historically made the choice by non-magnum get aluminum to save weight and magnum get steel for strength, but the is not based on any particular evidence.

My custom rifle is going to be cerakoted. I want a dark gray metal on a lighter gray stock.

Back