Ryan Busse is a coward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit to say here in Portland there is a lot of gang on gang violence/shootings. The argument is more restrictions on law abiding gun owners will have no effect on that problem
That's the way it goes, until a gang member is convicted of a felony, they have the same constitutional rights as you and I do.

What is Busse’s position on video games like Call of Duty, Counter-Strike, Fortnite, etc? I have watched kids play these games, and I can’t help but think that the non-stop killing in these fantasy worlds might numb the minds of some players to the finality of death and lead to attempts to recreate the short-term, immediate thrills in the real world.

If the gun industry marketing folks are supporting these games, shame on them.

While I am on my high horse, what are we going to do about single-parent homes? I am pretty sure there are a lot of studies out there showing a correlation between growing up in a single-parent home and an increased risk of engaging in crime.

I don’t know the answer to curbing mass shootings, but I am pretty sure that further gun control laws that would likely only affect currently law-abiding people, would only be a bandaid on an epidemic.
You make a point about single family homes , but what about just plain stupid people raising kids ?
It's a fact , fat people raise fat kids , and racist people raise racist kids , etc etc . Do we make laws about how to raise kids ?

That's the way it goes, until a gang member is convicted of a felony, they have the same constitutional rights as you and I do.
Except local news occasionally reports so and so felon was busted for an outstanding warrant and had a gun in his possession

I think the fascination with Giffords is overblown by the right. I bet most Democrats don't even know who she is or what her group is about. The majority of them aren't in lock step with her view, so I think our energy is better focused on discussion with them.

From the Time article:

“While so many other advocacy groups are constantly scrambling for cash, Giffords seems to never be in a public-facing fundraising mode despite a $150 million pipeline of donors, and can occasionally cajole Republicans to at least consider a review of their stances on firearms. So effective are her efforts that more than $1 billion in community safety gun grants can trace at least some fingerprints to her group’s lobbying. They secured $75 million in federal research on gun violence, once an unthinkable area of study. More than a half-million individual donors have opened their checkbooks to back the Giffords cause, and the 50-person staff is showing no signs of retreat.”

“Despite a landscape that seems bleak for anyone who supports limiting the ability to buy and sell guns in this country, Giffords and its allies have been able to pass 525 state-level laws restricting access to firearms over the last decade—nothing to sneeze at in the least. Her youth-organizing program just turned five and has about 75 alumni who continue to work in their local communities. And 460 Giffords-backed candidates have been elected to state or federal office, according to the group’s accounting.

“Inch by inch. Capitals, capitals, capitals,” Giffords says in describing the incremental and far-flung set of goals.”

So ... restricting and securing is "ridiculous". Any firearm is an "assault" weapon. I own an AR platform for recreation.

Therefore let's do NOTHING.

My biggest fear is that 2A will go the way of Canada, Australia, or other more restrictive nations as the pendulum keeps swinging.

To many my suggestion, or any other restrictive change, is "ridiculous" and causes same old, same old trite NRA-like arguments.
How about some practical solutions then. DO NOTHING is the key to gun owner disappointment.
So to be clear, I was refering to this statement: Specifically, I personally see no reason to brandish an assault rifle during a parade, demonstration, or other large public event. This may rankle feathers of black rifle owners and hunters who use them, but I would like to see those type of military-use designed firearms secured at a certified firing range, to be checked out and fired under appropriate strict firing range conditions, whether competitively or just for fun.

Yes, weapons should be under lock and key, not stored together with cartridges in magazines etc. This should be part of common sense firearm ownership procedure.

The ridiculous part would be "locked up" at a range for use. My edit would be that I could understand machine guns fully auto stored at a facility. I could swallow that. Not average semi's though.
RW

What do you think of the prospect of increased paperwork to acquire assault weapons? I think there is some middle ground there that could help prevent a few of these high profile shootings. Going forward what if we required people purchasing a semi auto centerfire rifle having an expanded background check? A few more steps in the process to prevent these troubled kids from flying under the radar?
The MA license was a PITA to get but also whatever… could definitely help IMHO, wish it came with expanded benefits like over the counter suppressor purchases, no having to do an background check, allowing online purchases shipped to your door, etc.

As far as “mental health”, I’d cap class size at 18 for k-12 mandate special education/counselor ratios. Ban social media until age 18.

Fed would cover the gaps for school district funding, we’d raise social security age to 70 and if you made over the max so 140k today, for 10 years you wouldn’t get benefits.

Cut 2 carrier battle groups, raise taxes back to Clinton levels.

And put in a max age of running for President the same as a military flag officer 64.

Last edited by a moderator:
You make a point about single family homes , but what about just plain stupid people raising kids ?
It's a fact , fat people raise fat kids , and racist people raise racist kids , etc etc . Do we make laws about how to raise kids ?
Kids definitely need a lot of attention.

Also, I didn’t mean any disrespect to parents raising a child or children alone. It is tough for two parents. It would be a daunting task solo.

Also, I didn’t mean any disrespect to parents raising a child or children alone. It is tough for two parents. It would be a daunting task solo.
I was not implying anything negative about your statement , I agree it's a issue . Kids raising kids , wanting to be their friend and not a parent , single or not .

My question has always been, even if a child has 2 parents, that doesn't mean they're raising their child.

More commonly the kid is raised and spends a majority of their time with a baby sitter/day care who is single handedly doing so for multiple kids, alone.

Like I said, lots to chew on.

I don't think many kids with 2 parent households are all that much better off these days.

Where is all this tacticool gun marketing y’all are seeing?
Maybe it’s because I’m primarily a bow hunter and I live in a nanny state, but I really don’t see many gun advertisements at all.
Like I get the field and stream catalogue a couple times a year and there’s some guns in there, but other than that, i just going see a lot of gun marketing.
Even when I was looking for a new shotgun this spring, I got a lot of vids in my yt feed of shotguns and shotgun sports, but none of these tacticool advertisements that have apparently radicalized thousands of people 🤷‍♂️

The only time I really hear anything about Ak’s, ar-15’s, night vision, shell catchers or inf beams is when I listen to hip hop.

Where is all this tacticool gun marketing y’all are seeing?
Maybe it’s because I’m primarily a bow hunter and I live in a nanny state, but I really don’t see many gun advertisements at all.
Like I get the field and stream catalogue a couple times a year and there’s some guns in there, but other than that, i just going see a lot of gun marketing.
Even when I was looking for a new shotgun this spring, I got a lot of vids in my yt feed of shotguns and shotgun sports, but none of these tacticool advertisements that have apparently radicalized thousands of people 🤷‍♂️
I see it , on FB and in my emails , and at the gun range . If you google a suppressor or muzzle brake you will get a lot of things show up .
Witt Machine makes some cool stuff and is always on FB with the latest greatest new gun .
And at the range it's common to see guys wearing vests and looking like a SWAT guy just because I guess ?

Kids absorb the values of their parent or parents. No doubt the ideal of a stable two parent nuclear family is most desirable in terms of spreading the workload and reinforcing positive values. However, it takes more than just what parents can bring to the table. Integration with peers and broader community is essential for stability as well.

IMO, a common thread among mass shooters is a lack of empathy and sense of isolation from society. In my opinion the violence they perpetuate is an act of emotional terrorism intended to spread their conclusion that they are cheated of a life of meaning and purpose and they feel justified in extending their rage and anguish to as many as they can.

My question has always been, even if a child has 2 parents, that doesn't mean they're raising their child.

More commonly the kid is raised and spends a majority of their time with a baby sitter/day care who is single handedly doing so for multiple kids, alone.

Like I said, lots to chew on.

I don't think many kids with 2 parent households are all that much better off these days.
Very true. It’s not always about who raised you, it’s also about who you grew up with.

I'm a walnut/steel guy, the nicer the walnut, the better.
Heck, my fav rifle right now is a Dakota single shot. If I could figure out what @shrapnel did for a living, I'd do it if it was legal (or maybe only somewhat illegal ;)).

But, ARs make pretty handy coyote rifles, ours are Rock River Arms, one, a varmint model, which really shoots.

But in regards to the statements made by Reagan and the Bushes, just a few tiny things have changed since then. We have millions crossing the border, and may have for another 6 years. Home invasions in the border states are frequent, and increasing, and spreading nationwide.

And, police have largely given up enforcing the law in many locations, and even if they do, folks guilty of serious crimes are often released the next day. Previous surges in crime led to stricter enforcement, but certainly don't see that coming. So more crimes, more fear, more self-reliance.

In reference, I don't get the disparagement launched at @Cogreeny. For those of you never having experienced threats in your neighborhood, I'm glad for you. I was in that category until last year.

We had drug dealers move into a vacant house in our neighborhood, and actual or attempted home invasions by multiple intruders went up from zero to several attempts per week. The police told us to "write down license plate numbers" of the cars coming and going, and get doorbell cams, and were otherwise of very little use. And if they had enough complaints, maybe they would put a camera on a light pole. Never happened.

Ultimately we put enough pressure on the owner to kick out the renters and now we're a peaceful neighborhood once again.

And I have to admit, I think I'm a pretty good shot with a pistol, having shot thousands of rounds with everything from .45 Colt SAAs (my favorites) to Sig P365s. And my wife is great with her Model 19 Smith.

Having said that, after a few close calls from neighbors being threatened, I did pull the scope off one of the ARs and slap on an Aimpoint Pro, just in case.

Not my intent to shoot anyone, but when faced with an actual threat instead of a theoretical one, I think we did what anyone would do; stack the odds in our favor.

And I'll just bet any one of you would do the same if there were real threats facing you and your family. No way is my wife shooting a shotgun, but she's lights out with rifles, including ARs. So, we're not "spraying and praying".

Or maybe, like in the movies, your assailants will wait their turn and you can defeat them one-by-one with your awesome MMA skills.

So what about the kids and mass shootings? I agree with expanded background checks, similar to what we had for concealed carry. I would agree with the expanded age, maybe 25 but that has already been overruled.

And, we need more parenting. Don't know how many have listened to RFK Jr. (probably anti-gun), but he points out that for a long time a single earner could have a home, a car, send their kids to college, and raise their own children. Now many kids pretty much raise themselves. Maybe look at the Asian community and do what they do; they seem to be the American success story.

As for the inner-city violence, LBJ pretty much created that by destroying the black family, and I'm hoping that Tim Scott is on the ticket one way or another and maybe get some traction to turn that around. It will take a generation though. Until then, enforce the law, like NYC did for a while.

And MUCH more mental health for kids. We cooped them up for almost 3 years. Ban Tik Toc, limit cell phone usage (the Chinese aren't wrong about everything). Keep them busy with productive stuff. You rarely hear, "He was active in sports and his church, and then killed several classmates,".

And maybe get serious with law enforcement; almost every mass shooter was known, yet there was no "everything approach" with involvement of parents, teachers, therapists, and making sure the kid had no access to weapons.

And schools have to be hardened. Pretend kids are as valuable as, say, members of Congress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avidcork
Back