Caribou Gear Tarp

Ruger or Savage

I always want to like them, but they too often have a sticky forward motion for the bolts. This has been a known problem for over a decade - I can’t believe that they haven’t fixed it. And meanwhile the quality of Howa/weatherby-vanguard, bergara and tikka just keep raising the bar for sub $800 rifles. A Ruger American is just better than an Axis and the the Howard/vanguard, bergara and tikka are just better than the savage 1x/1xx. They have chosen not to address their biggest weakness and as such haven’t earned a top buy slot for hunters these days. I give no credit for how they used to be. A new rifle needs compete against new rifles.
A5F27977-156B-4781-8784-EB0067722B2C.jpeg97BC7821-7398-4842-9D03-FBB0828FCAB5.jpeg
I agree. The bolt isn’t great. And as I stated I have no experience with the axis. I hope they keep doing what they do, I’m here for it.
Edit. I have a 243 and a 6.5 creedmoor and one I rebarrelled myself to a 22 creed that will do they exact same thing.

View attachment 237052View attachment 237053
I agree. The bolt isn’t great. And as I stated I have no experience with the axis. I hope they keep doing what they do, I’m here for it.
Edit. I have a 243 and a 6.5 creedmoor and one I rebarrelled myself to a 22 creed that will do they exact same thing.
I am glad it is working for you. I will never understand why old brand loyalty trumps years of established underperformance against peer product offerings. Howa/Vanguard/Bergara/Tikka can all produce the same target pics but with better fit, finish and operation.

Great shooting @DougStickney! Hard to argue with that. Which Savage models do you have?
110 ultralight 6.5 prc 110 predator 243 110 tactical 6.5 creed and a model 11 of some sort that has a 22 creed barrel on it. 243 is one of my favorites, has been my coyote gun for many years.

If you get a Savage get the Axis 2 and NOT the Axis 1 (unless you plan to replace the trigger immediately).
Axis 2 has the wonderful accu-trigger aka adjustable for pull weight trigger.
Axis 1 does not have an adjustment trigger although they make several aftermarket triggers that drop in.
This is important because it's very difficult to have a 6.5# rifle sit still while applying 5+# of pressure to the trigger!
With the axis 2 or aftermarket trigger you can safely go as low as 1.5_2# range for trigger pull.

Either the Ruger or Savage will be able to shoot better than most people.
This was going to be my suggestion. I went with an Axis II in 7-08. It's a very accurate rifle. The first Ruger Americans were hit or miss, but from what I have heard and read, most of those issues have ben corrected and its a great shooting gun. The American feels a little better in my hand, but I got a screaming deal on the Axis II and couldn't pass it up.

I have had both. If you want to buy a “disposable” youth compact rifle, Ruger American better than Axis. Axis can be really rough.

If you go up to Savage 1x/1xx or even a TiKka or B14, if in the budget, in compacts stock you can easily find a replacement adult stock as he grows and it will be useful for a lifetime.
Went to the gun store and they ordered a b14 ridge in .243. We will see how he likes it.

Anyone have first hand experience with bergara's? I have read nothing but awesome reviews and I've handled them in the stores but not shooting them personally.

I have Ruger American in .223/5.56, .300 BO, 6.5 Creedmoor and .308. The plastic stocks are junk but Boyds makes very nice and affordable stocks. I shoot left handed so get LH stock, RT hand action. All of the stocks are interchangeable. All of the rifles are very accurate for the average shooter. My SIL has a pile of Savages that sit in a gun safe that never see daylight.IMG_20220323_065152569.jpg

Anyone have first hand experience with bergara's? I have read nothing but awesome reviews and I've handled them in the stores but not shooting them personally.
I highly doubt that you will be disappointed

If she wants to sell them, it's Std7mag, Altoona, PA..

I got a lot of gun builds on the list that i need actions for.
I’d love to find a top release savage 10 donor action myself. I already have the 308 barrel for it.

If the B14 trainer is anything like the high powers, I can easily see more Bergara coming into the stable.
B89F30CB-2B0B-4BB4-AADD-1AB6071CE46E.jpeg

I’d love to find a top release savage 10 donor action myself. I already have the 308 barrel for it.
I’ve gone to using the Zermatt arms big horn origin.

The cost of the action plus having it PVD coated makes the savage the same cost as the Origin.

Origin is a Remington 700 pattern action for magazine, stock, trigger and scope base. Savage for the barrel and bolt head.

Last edited:
I've had both. I can tell you the Savage Axis (a lefty .243) was very accurate. It was my wife's deer gun, like I said, accurate, but she did complain about the bolt.

I briefly had a Ruger American (.308), and it was not accurate. But that could have been something of an anomaly. I know a number of folks that have them and say they're tack drivers. Mine was certainly not. I can say also that I really hated the triggers of both. I cannot get into that Accutrigger design. Just can't.

I guess one more thing I'll add is that, of it makes a difference, there are a lot of aftermarket products for the Savage Axis these days. I don't think the same is true for the Ruger American, but I also can't say I've paid much attention to Ruger for quite some time.

I've had both. I can tell you the Savage Axis (a lefty .243) was very accurate. It was my wife's deer gun, like I said, accurate, but she did complain about the bolt.

I briefly had a Ruger American (.308), and it was not accurate. But that could have been something of an anomaly. I know a number of folks that have them and say they're tack drivers. Mine was certainly not. I can say also that I really hated the triggers of both. I cannot get into that Accutrigger design. Just can't.
It's very easy to tune up and lighten the trigger on the Ruger. I don't have any experience with the Savage triggers.

It's six one way, half dozen another between the Ruger American and the Axis. As most have said, the Axis II is much better than the original Axis. Also, if you go the Axis route, make sure it is one that has the Weaver scope from the factory unless you intend to swap it out.

I am an Accutriger fan and I have never had a Savage that wouldn't shoot sub MOA. So it takes a lot to talk me out of the Savage. I will agree that the Axis I or II are rough, but they also all shoot better than they should.

I will add that if fit and finish matter to you, don't buy an Axis. You will be disappointed. If you think of a rifle as a tool and you don't care what it looks like as long as it gets the job done, Savage all day.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back