Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Ruger or Savage

It's very easy to tune up and lighten the trigger on the Ruger. I don't have any experience with the Savage triggers.
The standard Axis trigger, well there really isn't much you can do with it, other than replace it.

Yeah, there's been videos of people doing all kinds of weird chit to them. Myself, i prefer to get something from a known manufacturer that is proven to work & be safe.

I put a Rifle Basix trigger in mine. But as i was planning on using it for benchrest competitions, i adapted a Wolffe spring to get my trigger weight down in the ounces.

Supposedly Trigger Tech is in the R&D phase of a new trigger for Savage. Not sure if the Axis is going to be covered.

As far as the bolt is concerned.
A little common thing called bolt raceway lapping is easy & goes a long way!

I'm in the market for my son's first hunting rifle. I grew up with Winchester Model 70s and marlin 30-30s. I'm going to get a .243 for him and have been looking at a Ruger American or Savage Axis. I have not handled either one of these models and from what I've gathered the Ruger is advertised as being a very accurate and nice beginner rifle. The savage is also advertised as being a good budget rifle and good for beginners also. Anyone have experience with either?
I've looked both the Savage Axis and Ruger American over pretty good a few years ago. The nod goes to the Ruger American for bedding and trigger for sure, and the accuracy of the American I picked up in 270 is more than acceptable. What I do not like about the Ruger American is the plastic flimsy magazine, how it feeds, serious bolt noise, and rough extracting. I did make the purchase for my G-kid to use in a few years, and most issues I have with it will get cleaned up through my use and a few minutes of my gunsmith's time. If ya got a few extra bucks, I'd probably go Tikka lite compact, or look for a used Rem Model 7.

I went through the same thing with my son last year. Ended up with the ruger american compact in 243 and we both love it lol

I have 3 boys. The first I purchased a savage stevens 7mm-08. After I bedded it, it's still one of the most accurate rifle in our safe. My next two boys, I bought a ruger American and a savage 11 in 7mm-08. Both shoot fairly comparably, but I'm partial to the savage for fit and finish.

Moot point posting this now as OP bought the Bergara, but my $0.02 on the original topic.

Just back from the range shooting both a Ruger American in .308 and a Savage Axis is 30-06. Iā€™m going Savage hands down.

The Rugerā€™s bolt lift is HEAVY and the feed stinks.

Granted, the Ruger is bone stock excepting that I lightened the trigger. The Savage has had some spring work done to the trigger, been bedded in a Boydā€™s stock, and has new extractor bits. But, even with Savageā€™s notoriously clunky action Iā€™d take even an Axis 1 over the Ruger any day. Can only assume that the Axis II with the accu-trigger is all the better.

I will give the Ruger a little credit as it grouped well at 200, but not as tight as the Axis. Both would do fine on any ungulate at that distance. The Savage goes 10 for 10 on six inch steel at 300 without much work, and the Ruger about half that. Admittedly this could be due to itā€™s still having the flimsy factory Tupperware stock attached.

My girlfriend plans to sell the Ruger immediately after this season ends and replace it with a Tikka.

I bought the Savage years ago when I was broke and, with a little dressing up, have found it to be a great value.

Great write up comparison. I would think for a fair comparison you would want to use identically prepared rifles with ammo that is compatible with each.
Or 2 completely stock out of the box rifles.

Great write up comparison. I would think for a fair comparison you would want to use identically prepared rifles with ammo that is compatible with each.
Thatā€™s fair.

FWIW we were shooting Barnes 150 grain TTSX BT out of the .308 and Barnes 168 grain TYSX BT in the 30-06 when shooting for groups at 200. Switched to Norma 150g whitetail and Federal 180g blue box for plinking at 300. I havenā€™t really had a close look at how much more that Norma drops than the Barnes at that distance in .308. The Fed 180 is pretty comparable to the Barnes 168 at that range.

And, absolutely aware that Iā€™m a little biased on the Axis as Iā€™ve had it for ages, know itā€™s nuances, and have done some accuracy work to it. The Ruger is pretty new to our gun stash.

That said, the bolt lift and feed are things I really canā€™t get past on the Ruger. Would try to rectify it, but think that one is moving on after Thanksgiving or so.

I would take a stock savage but my guns get beat up and are tools to me. I own bergara tikka and savage. All shoot good one isnā€™t picky. But I get what people are saying nothing pretty about them just very functional.

I have a bunch of Ruger American rifles in different calibers. I have never experienced a heavy bolt lift except on an overcharged hand load. The magazines are junk. After a little sanding and feed trim they work their way up to crappy. You have to make sure they fit up tight and don't wiggle. The bullet will crash into the front of the magazine if you don't file the ramp to a taper. Accuracy is in the ammo and the stock . I load my own tailored to each rifle. They all sit in Boyds stocks. You wouldn't want to put them up against the stock Savage or vice versa.
I have seen some S&B ammo that you had to beat the bolt open on either rifle. Some firearms just don't get along with some ammo.

Reactions: DFS
I have a bunch of Ruger American rifles in different calibers. I have never experienced a heavy bolt lift except on an overcharged hand load. The magazines are junk. After a little sanding and feed trim they work their way up to crappy. You have to make sure they fit up tight and don't wiggle. The bullet will crash into the front of the magazine if you don't file the ramp to a taper. Accuracy is in the ammo and the stock . I load my own tailored to each rifle. They all sit in Boyds stocks. You wouldn't want to put them up against the stock Savage or vice versa.
I have seen some S&B ammo that you had to beat the bolt open on either rifle. Some firearms just don't get along with some ammo.
Question, as I am still green to the Ruger, is the bolt lift when clicking the rifle not ā€œheavy?ā€ Itā€™s fine on our end when just cycling the bolt, but after pulling the trigger (even on a dry fire), the bolt takes a little extra work.

I tried putting a little grease on the back of the lug, but it didnā€™t change much.

Looking at our target, I will say that I was impressed with the Rugerā€™s out of the box accuracy. Iā€™m not an OG rifleman by any means, but it was only slightly looser than the Savage at 200 yards. And, worth mentioning, the stock trigger on the Ruger is far superior to the Axis 1 w/o the accutrigger.

DCB24D86-BD32-414F-BB0F-753539CECFC2.jpeg

It sounds like the firing pin cocking ramp may be a little rough or the spring a bit too aggressive.
I've done my own trigger tricks. A little polishing does wonders. I also trim the stock spring to get it down to an adjustable 2-1/2#

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back