Ruger or Savage

WVmike

I'm in the market for my son's first hunting rifle. I grew up with Winchester Model 70s and marlin 30-30s. I'm going to get a .243 for him and have been looking at a Ruger American or Savage Axis. I have not handled either one of these models and from what I've gathered the Ruger is advertised as being a very accurate and nice beginner rifle. The savage is also advertised as being a good budget rifle and good for beginners also. Anyone have experience with either?

Last edited:
I have had both. If you want to buy a “disposable” youth compact rifle, Ruger American better than Axis. Axis can be really rough.

If you go up to Savage 1x/1xx or even a TiKka or B14, if in the budget, in compacts stock you can easily find a replacement adult stock as he grows and it will be useful for a lifetime.

I bought my son a Ruger American in 7mm-08 in a youth model, turned out to be one of the most accurate rifles in my gun cabinet. He’s moved on to a different gun, but I liked it so much I bought a aftermarket stock for it, and I’ve been using it the past two years.

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another Ruger American in another caliber if I got the itch.

That 18 inch barrel barks though, make sure to use heating protection.

Good luck, regardless of choice, those first years with the kiddo are memorable.

I’d get an older savage that you can change barrels on.

Get a long action if you want to possibly Switch to a magnum some day.

I got my wife a model 10Y in .243 Winchester years ago. The youth wood stock is now in the closet, the barrel is on the shelf and it’s sitting in a MDT chassis wearing a .223 Remington and a .260 Remington barrel in reserve.

I’ll eventually put both the .243 and .260 barrels in their own actions.

I like the ability to tinker so that’s why I stick with my savage rifles.
32B0603D-829C-42DD-80F9-AC86358907F2.jpeg

I'm in the marker for my son's first hunting rifle. I grew up with Winchester Model 70s and marlin 30-30s. I'm going to get a .243 for him and have been looking at a Ruger American or Savage Axis. I have not handled either one of these models and from what I've gathered the Ruger is advertised as being a very accurate and nice beginner rifle. The savage is also advertised as being a good budget rifle and good for beginners also. Anyone have experience with either?
If you get a Savage get the Axis 2 and NOT the Axis 1 (unless you plan to replace the trigger immediately).
Axis 2 has the wonderful accu-trigger aka adjustable for pull weight trigger.
Axis 1 does not have an adjustment trigger although they make several aftermarket triggers that drop in.
This is important because it's very difficult to have a 6.5# rifle sit still while applying 5+# of pressure to the trigger!
With the axis 2 or aftermarket trigger you can safely go as low as 1.5_2# range for trigger pull.

Either the Ruger or Savage will be able to shoot better than most people.

I got my wife a model 10Y in .243 Winchester years ago. The youth wood stock is now in the closet, the barrel is on the shelf and it’s sitting in a MDT chassis wearing a .223 Remington and a .260 Remington barrel in reserve.

View attachment 236844
This was spot-on advice for tinkerers a few years ago, but given their engineering/production consistency, you can now get direct barrel swaps for Tikkas too! If you can swap a savage or rem with "REMage" you can swap a Tikka with a much nicer starting action and trigger.

If you get a Savage get the Axis 2 and NOT the Axis 1 (unless you plan to replace the trigger immediately).
Axis 2 has the wonderful accu-trigger aka adjustable for pull weight trigger.
Axis 1 does not have an adjustment trigger although they make several aftermarket triggers that drop in.
This is important because it's very difficult to have a 6.5# rifle sit still while applying 5+# of pressure to the trigger!
With the axis 2 or aftermarket trigger you can safely go as low as 1.5_2# range for trigger pull.

Either the Ruger or Savage will be able to shoot better than most people.
I was going to say this. I imagine the bolt is also better/smoother on the Axis 2.

This was spot-on advice for tinkerers a few years ago, but given their engineering/production consistency, you can now get direct barrel swaps for Tikkas too! If you can swap a savage or rem with "REMage" you can swap a Tikka with a much nicer starting action and trigger.
Or a half a dozen other brand receivers as well, or an AR platform or a ….

It’s a rabbit hole all on its own.

I’ve got both. Axis II in 6.5 CM and Ruger American Compact in .308. Both shoot great and are not picky on ammo. Just my opinion but the Savage has a better trigger (Accutrigger) and just feels a little better to me. I also like the Savage bolt better. They are what they are, cheap rifles but they shoot like much more expensive rifles.

I'm in the marker for my son's first hunting rifle. I grew up with Winchester Model 70s and marlin 30-30s. I'm going to get a .243 for him and have been looking at a Ruger American or Savage Axis. I have not handled either one of these models and from what I've gathered the Ruger is advertised as being a very accurate and nice beginner rifle. The savage is also advertised as being a good budget rifle and good for beginners also. Anyone have experience with either?
I do not get it? You grew up grew up using some fine classic rifles. Why would you not give your son the same privilege? Does not make sense to me?

Maybe the new ones will weigh a bit less and shoot a half inch tighter group but so what!

If he takes to hunting, he will grow into it if it does not fit now. If he does not you will have a fine old rifle that holds value.

Get one of each. I have the Ruger American .243 and a Savage Axis II .270. They have become my favorite guns. I put a Vortex scope on both of them and I shoot them more often than my higher dollar guns.

View attachment 236844
Oh, Dang!
You mean i shouldn't have swapped the barrels out on the 2 Axis rifles i got?
Or my friend that built his 284 Win on?

Standard small shank Savage barrel fits the Edge, Axis, Axis II.

I do not get it? You grew up grew up using some fine classic rifles. Why would you not give your son the same privilege? Does not make sense to me?

Maybe the new ones will weigh a bit less and shoot a half inch tighter group but so what!

If he takes to hunting, he will grow into it if it does not fit now. If he does not you will have a fine old rifle that holds value.
I was lucky being that my granddad bought the rifles that were passed down to me. I would love to get a model 70 sporter in .243 for him but I don't want to drop 1,200 on a rifle for him as well. The 30-30 I started with was a Marlin that my dad used when he was younger but it also after my dad having handing me a 12 gauge and saying shoot that can and it knocked me on my backside. Sure he is 8 years old and almost 5' and 150 lbs but I'd rather not start him on a 30-30 that may end up causing bad habits because that's what happened to me when I was younger.

I don’t know about savage axis, but I am a huge savage fan. Those things shoot and aren’t picky. If I were buying a factory rifle they would be at the top of my list.

I don’t know about savage axis, but I am a huge savage fan. Those things shoot and aren’t picky. If I were buying a factory rifle they would be at the top of my list.
I always want to like them, but they too often have a sticky forward motion for the bolts. This has been a known problem for over a decade - I can’t believe that they haven’t fixed it. And meanwhile the quality of Howa/weatherby-vanguard, bergara and tikka just keep raising the bar for sub $800 rifles. A Ruger American is just better than an Axis and the the Howard/vanguard, bergara and tikka are just better than the savage 1x/1xx. They have chosen not to address their biggest weakness and as such haven’t earned a top buy slot for hunters these days. I give no credit for how they used to be. A new rifle needs compete against new rifles.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back