Ruger or Browning

Rooster52

Looking at buying another shot gun. Whats your input between a Ruger Red Label or a Browning Superposed ?
Looking at both used. 20 gauge.Both are coming up on a auction soon. Can't afford both.

Last edited:
For many years, I shot more sporting clays than I could afford. I had several friends who tried shooting Red Labels, never saw one make it through the season without needing a trip back to Ruger. A Browning Superposed?? They are so far ahead as to not even be classed together. That is a shooter's gun if ever there was one. This would be a no brainer for my choice. Go Browning. Browning Citori's are also far far past Ruger's best efforts at shotguns.

Have you shot either model before? If it was me I would go for the Superposed. Fit is huge with O/U and SxS shotguns.

I have known plenty of folks that love their Red Labels, and have gotten years of good service, but the fit and the action on the Browning sells it for me.

I agree that the Superposed is in a whole higher class than the Red Label. The Browning Citori and Red Label are similar but the Superposed is one fantastic shotgun. I have owned all 3 and without question the Superposed UNLESS you ever plan on shooting steel shot. If thats the case the Superposed is not the best route. Also, Superposed will not have chokes and the Red Label may or may not depending on how old it is. If all you are shooting is lead, that Superposed it the way to go. Otherwise of the two, Red Label.

Browning. Hands down.

You can still shoot non-toxic out of it if you hunt places that are lead-free.

Back