Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Rubber Overshoes for Hunting?

JustinsDad

I’m going on an Alaska hunt in October—Kodiak Island. It’s supposed to be really wet there. Cold wet feet isn’t my goal and could even get dangerous. Instead of rubber boots, how do you think these would work? Anybody tried them? I was thinking my regular comfortable hunting shoes with these overshoes would be better on my old feet than rubber boots and they look like my feet would stay dry. Thoughts?F495D576-EEFD-4AA9-9B74-C0393D876BAB.jpeg

Unless you are hunting in a stock corral, those overshoes won't cut the mustard. Not enough tread! In wet brushy conditions you want as much grip as you can get. I put a hundred miles on my Muck Boots every fall hunting geese and pheasants. Best thing I ever put on my feet for that work. They keep the water out ... even when I step in over the tops (briefly). Tread is adequate. My brother has a pair of similar Mudd Boots with a better tread design and they come in half sizes too. The neoprene tops don't chaff my calves and they are warm enough. Warmer models are available for hunting/fishing that involves less mobility in cold temps.

Last edited:
Take a look at the LaCrosse Alpha Burley 1600. I have worn this model for several years both hunting and working in the woods. They have great foot support, tread, and being rubber, are waterproof. I have worn them in temps from 40F - -20 F. Normally I wear a pair of Darn Tough socks with heavy wool socks over them. If it's very cold, my first layer is a very thin silk sock.

For the walking you will be far more comfortable in a set of insulated Muck Boots or Lacrosse Boots. Those overshoes will not only wear you out but also completely change how whatever boot you have on under it feels.

The alpha burleys is what I'd check out. I wear a set of tingleys every day in the farm but it's not something I'd want to hunt in. The burleys will be lighter than a boot and over shoe combo.

Not sure what you are hunting, but there is quite a bit of seriously steep terrain on Kodiak. Those are not going to cut hiking in the steep stuff covered by slick wet vegetation. I took my Kennetreks when we hunted deer and they worked great. We went in late November and had snow a couple of days.

Whatever you choose, I would say ankle support and traction are just as important as waterproof. I would go with a good mountain boot if I were you.

For Kodiak hunting, starting at sea level, there is typically a substantial
steep, thick alder-shrub zone to climb up through and climb down through.
So traction and ankle support is important as well as tough boot that will not shred.

So I've got zero Alaska experience, so take this with a grain of salt. In my mind, Kodiak island in October is relatively similar to Northern Maine in November. I rocked a pair of these for two weeks in the North woods. They were issued, so I didn't have much of a choice, but they kept my feet warm and dry.

I used to wear those overshoes hunting in the snow. I used them in my concrete profession so I always had them on hand. I was in my prime then and didn't notice the weight but they are heavy. I tried them after I wasn't so skookum and it wore me out.

Unless you are hunting in a stock corral, those overshoes won't cut the mustard. Not enough tread! In wet brushy conditions you want as much grip as you can get. I put a hundred miles on my Muck Boots every fall hunting geese and pheasants. Best thing I ever put on my feet for that work. They keep the water out ... even when I step in over the tops (briefly). Tread is adequate. My brother has a pair of similar Mudd Boots with a better tread design and they come in half sizes too. The neoprene tops don't chaff my calves and they are warm enough. Warmer models are available for hunting/fishing that involves less mobility in cold temps.

yeah fair, these are made for snowshoeing/xc skiing

What are you hunting for? Get a over boot wadder
We’ll be hunting caribou and deer. The lack of traction was one of my concerns. What was appealing about overshoes was having the arch support of my regular shoes. I didn’t think the shoe/overshoe combo would be heavier but I’ll check into that.

Last edited:
Muck boots seem to be the standard. Do yours allow you to switch insoles? Thanks

I wouldn’t even think about wearing those things in the mountains. I watched a guy slip and and almost fall to his death in the crazies because of a boot like that

In all my years hunting and trapping in steep, wet, and snowy, conditions, I found these to be the best. The Air sole is the key for great traction. I was wearing these when taking this photo and gives you an idea of the country.
DSC_5421_665re.JPG

Back