Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Round Question

Hatchie Dawg

I'm posting a series of questions here as I'm planning my first hunt.

I am going to carry my Model 70 Featherweight in 6.5x55 on the hunt. I will be hand loading the ammo and have reduced the bullet choice to two, the 140gr Partition and the 130gr TSX. I should be able to get nearly 2850fps out of the partition and nearly 2950fps out of the Barnes bullet. I think these velocities coupled with the bullets excellent sectional densities will be adequate for elk if not ideal.I know the gun is light for elk.

Any opinions on which of the two bullets is best. The Barnes will penetrate better but at the fringes of effective range, say 300yds will it reliably expand. The Partition doesn't have the BC of the Barnes but it is nearly bomb proof in construction and terminal performance.

Appreciate any opinions.

HD

That 6.5x55 will be a great elk killer out to 300 yards. Personally would go with the Partition as the SD on a 140gr pill out of the 6.5 is quite awesome. Good luck.

I think your fine. Keep your range in check and maintain good shot placement tight behind the shoulder. I have had good clean kills on elk with a 55 gr. 223 at 250 yards before. Usually a good kill has little to do with the caliber.

Nosler partitions are so dependable that they are boring.l That's why I continually use them. In your case, if the accuracy is comparable, I'd use the NP. That 6.5X55 is a sweet shooter.

The Magicwoman uses a 7mm08 which is almost identical.

Nice choice of calibers. I built my son a sporter for his first (and only so far) rifle, and now I want one I'm so impressed. For years I hunted with a hand-loaded .257 Roberts. I rate the 6.5 x 55 somewhat better than the .257 for big game because its just a little bigger. I hand-load the 6.5 with a case-full of H4831 and a 125 gr. NP, and it blows a hole like the .257 does. With big, long bullets they have killed elephants. In Europe it is the go to caliber. I'm partial to NP's, but they have characteristics which turn some people off...There is no problem with them opening up. They have really soft lead in the front end and always expand, but tend to shed the lead up front if going really fast which reduces the retained weight. And, they aren't the most accurate bullet made on paper, but always work on game.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back