Rookie needs some advice

LukeDuke

Hey everyone...let me start by saying I know jack about hunting turkeys. A coworker has a few on her property and they upset her dogs. She knows I hunt and asked if I wanted to turkey hunt. Sure...what the heck, I need to get out of the house. I bought a hen decoy and a box call...all set...lol!! So I went out last night and actually found them and saw where they roosted. Got out there about an hr before shooting light this morning and got set up in a fence line about 150 yds from them. About 10 min before shooting light, I hear a gobble, so I chirp back at him on the box(have no clue if I should have but it seemed like I should let him know I was down there). Pretty soon about 10 of them drop down out of the trees and strut around out in the field. They would walk towards me, then away, then towards me. I don’t know if they saw me or not but pretty soon they just strolled the opposite direction and were gone for the morning. So do I go back tonight and try to get them by the roosting tree or do I wait and go back in the a.m. and set up closer? It was fun watching them, but it would be more fun to put one on my grill. Thanks everyone and happy hunting

I would do both. They don’t always roost in the same area every night, but it would be good to get set up about 60 yards from those roost tree(s) probably in the same general direction as they headed this morning. They don’t always come back the way they went out, but that’s all you have to go on at this point. Also, they tend to gobble when they roost up, and if they don’t come back to the same spot, they might let you know where to set up next morning.

As for tomorrow morning, if you don’t get one/booger them going to roost, they generally follow a pattern. Just set the hen out and get in their way. No calling is likely better than bad calling.

Sometimes the best way to hunt turkeys is to hunt them like an eastern whitetail - figure out where they travel and set up and wait all day. If your co-worker sees them in the same area at the same time every day, I’d get there ahead of them and wait them out. Not how they do it on TV, but it works. Good luck.

Go tonight and tomorrow. Good luck. Maybe skip the call and let the decoy do the work for you

Agreed on both counts. Be careful about getting to close to the roost, you can spook them outta there. In the evening, if you can set up where they can see the decoy, they sure might come over. Especially if you can set up between where they've been and the roost. This morning, were there hens with the toms? Sounds like you had them interested but the real deal hens had them more interested. I'd bet about 9 or 10 those toms were right back where you were set up wondering where their second round of love making for the morning went. I've found toms strutting around my early morning calling spot around that time, after I'd left too many times. But it sure is hard to set in that spot from daylight until 10. I can admit, I've never made it! But I have snuck back in and called them up a few times. And spooked them off trying to do so many times! Good luck to ya!

Ok thanks everyone. This helps a lot. Yep the hens were with the Toms this morning. The area that they roost in is on the top of a gently rolling hill next to Two different grass fields. I will lay off the call and see what happens. It sure got the heart pumping when I heard them gobble!!!

This was them last night.

Attachments

• 7D56B065-9E09-45AF-A294-7D7FF1EE1FBD.jpeg
    7D56B065-9E09-45AF-A294-7D7FF1EE1FBD.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 15
Man, that's a classic and beautiful turkey spot! And I meant to say, if you can help calling, cause it is so awesome to hear them respond, you might try to just keep it light and subtle. In the evening, a lot of times, they will come in silently.

Well guys...the advice was perfect. When I got there they were already out feeding. I made a big loop and circled around them and got into the tree line where I had seen them this a.m. I found a little puddle in a low spot with a bunch of tracks around it. I set up off to the side in some brush. 3 hrs later they come working back across the field and walked right to the puddle. I bet the shot was 3-4 yards...so exciting. Thanks again for the tips everyone!!

Attachments

• 1397F003-B3A2-4A7B-84A3-C01AB657603B.jpeg
    1397F003-B3A2-4A7B-84A3-C01AB657603B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • 5A30A99F-FD76-4E3C-BE9D-EE872CC67137.jpeg
    5A30A99F-FD76-4E3C-BE9D-EE872CC67137.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
Move work! On chunks of private that hold birds the spot definitely makes a difference. 20 yards can make the difference between a dead turkey and a numb ass from sitting and waiting all day.

So, is this a one time deal or are you a turkey hunter for life now? Also, I take my birds to a local butcher and get them smoked. A good sized Tom makes about six pot pies - they’re excellent. Congrats on the bird.

So, is this a one time deal or are you a turkey hunter for life now? Also, I take my birds to a local butcher and get them smoked. A good sized Tom makes about six pot pies - they’re excellent. Congrats on the bird.
Yeah I am going to do this again. When I was watching them feed last night I thought, dang I should put a ground blind out there, but something about being on the ground tucked next to a tree and eye level was pretty darn cool. Seriously guys...thanks again for the tips yesterday. That made all the difference.

Welcome to the Tenth Legion Luke.

That first day when they wandered away from you I'd like to give you the advice that sometimes turkeys do that. You called, so they know where you are, and they will likely check you out at some point. If you have one of those "they went away" moments try to stay dead silent for an hour; the birds might just prefer to go into a situation that has cooled off so they can check it out on their terms.

That is a great bird you got.

Woooohoooo!

Now maybe make a great meal of the bird and share with the willing landowner. Seal the deal on that access!!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back