Caribou Gear

Rookie lion hunting

RockyDog

This past winter I held a special tag for lion in a unit near my home. After talking to a few local houndsmen I came to the conclusion that I wanted to do this hunt on my own. My thinking was I could experience all that went into cat hunting like working with the dogs, the gear, learning where and when to find tracks, and most importantly learning more about lions. Also, I wasn't too keen on going out for a day and shooting a cat out of a tree that someone else caught for me. After finding out just how tough lion hunting can be i doubt that would have happened anyways.

so, i took in 3 free/cheap dogs and bought gps tracking gear and a snowmobile. fyi, bringing home 3 hounds just before christmas can do interesting things to a marriage. The end result was I had an exciting winter of great days in the hills, chased about 15 cats, treed 4 cats, and did not kill one.

Some of you may know Shoots-straight and that he is a real lion killer. Shoots hunted with me several days and we did chase cats but for one reason or another never treed one while he was along. I tell ya he is the type of guy that will get up early and drive/snowmobile all day and refuse to accept a dollar for gas, he just loves doing his thing in the hills and helping people. I owe him a big thanks and a bigger payback someday.

TJones also graciously offered to borrow me a dogsled for the winter, that helped with the hunting also. A few other guys hunted with me a couple times but i was out solo hunting most days.

The first four cats i chased were treed, including one very nice Tom. i thought id have more chances to kill a cat but after that there were numerous long chases that didnt end with a cat in the tree. I suspect the dogs hunting abilities were messed up by either a huge tom that put them (and me) through the wringer one long day or me screwing them up, maybe by putting them on tracks that couldnt be run, i dont really know. either way a switch flipped in the hounds and after that 4th cat they would chase all day but never have a lion treed for me. this resulted in alot of snowshoe miles and frustration on my part.

Even though i didnt kill a lion Im so glad i gave it a shot. It was great being out during the winter, getting to know the hounds, good excersice and thrilling chases.Finding a huge tom track and releasing the hounds got my blood racing. I spent alot of allnighters in a truck and on a snowmobile. I spent several days out but would have loved to hunt alot more days, another lesson i learned is that being a hound hunter is really for either single guys without young kids or for those lucky enough to have incredibly giving wives. A hound hunter never knows how long the day might end up being or what day the good tracking snow will fall.

Pics from the hunts to follow.

Last edited:
the cats........................

Attachments

• IMG_4457s.jpg
    IMG_4457s.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 492
  • IMG_4454s.jpg
    IMG_4454s.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_4376s.jpg
    IMG_4376s.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_4372s.jpg
    IMG_4372s.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_4370s.jpg
    IMG_4370s.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_4368s.jpg
    IMG_4368s.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 503
....cats.....awesome creatures.

Attachments

• IMG_4460s.jpg
    IMG_4460s.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_4461s.jpg
    IMG_4461s.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 509
  • IMG_4482s.jpg
    IMG_4482s.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 504
  • IMG_4483s.jpg
    IMG_4483s.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 496
  • IMG_4492s.jpg
    IMG_4492s.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 505
Man, those cats look way cool! I like your comment about not wanting to "shoot something that someone else caught". I'll get crap for it, but I just don't think it's fair chase shooting 20 feet up into a tree. Just my opinion. But honestly, I think the thrill of chasing and treeing those big cats and getting that close was probably 95 percent of the fun. Would be neat to try sometime.

Emrah

Man, those cats look way cool! I like your comment about not wanting to "shoot something that someone else caught". I'll get crap for it, but I just don't think it's fair chase shooting 20 feet up into a tree. Just my opinion. But honestly, I think the thrill of chasing and treeing those big cats and getting that close was probably 95 percent of the fun. Would be neat to try sometime.

Emrah

I think the "chase" is in the chase, not the actual shot.

Emrah

Trust me when I say that there's much effort that goes into getting a cat in a tree. You might get lucky on a 9 min chase, but it's more likely to see an all day-er end up with lost dogs.

There's a lot more to Barrie's quest for a big cat. He spent quit a few trips looking for one cat in particular. It was a really large Tom and two days before the cat got killed, Barrie and I went looking for him. It had snowed a couple of feet, then a Chinook came in, making snowmobile travel almost impossible. We spent most of the day digging each other out. I should have taken some shots of my sled buried in chest deep snow. We just couldn't get to him. On the following Sunday, the cat moved down canyon, crossed the main road, and got killed by the local bio's wife. I never heard if he made Boone, but it wouldn't have surprised me. He was worth waiting a season for. Barrie worked his arse off.

If anyone ever deserved a cat, it was him.:(

Yeah that cat hunting stuff is too easy, not sporting at all! :) Good write up and pictures! You do realize that first tom you put up a tree was pretty big don't you? Too bad he wasn't the last one you caught.

I think you would have been happy with first cat in the pics. I gave that stuff up 2 years after my first child was born. Sounds like you will give it another try next year.
Good times!

I was getting updates on Barri's season all along, he did it right thats for sure! I had a pair of great dogs for a winter and while they are great fun shoveling bucket loads of dog crap does wear on a guy.

Heck Barri if you are still married after the past season you have a very understanding wife, maybe you want to try for a girl friend next???

Great story. No cat in the bag, but several in the tree and memories to last. Thanks for sharing the story and great pics.

I think you would have been happy with first cat in the pics. I gave that stuff up 2 years after my first child was born. Sounds like you will give it another try next year.
Good times!

Hell, that would have been way to easy. That's not the Bitterrooter way though. The harder you make it on yourself, the better.

Sure fighting a guy on river rock's good, but when you can throw down a bunch of broken glass, maybe a thousand sheetrock nails, several packs of razors, then it's great.

http://youtu.be/O1AQxw18f8w

Last edited:
yes i did feel like i kicked myself in the head. alot of hard work could have been missed by shooting that bigger cat, but then again a whole of adventure would have been missed too because he was the first track i ever ran.

That's awesome, great pictures.

The lion part of my hunt when I drew was about 45 minutes. Looks like you got the exact opposite side end of the spectrum :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back