Rocky Mountain High

PoleX

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 1, 2025
Messages
369
My first trip out West was a visit to my grandparents’ cabin in Creede, Colorado, when I was 11 years old.


At 18, I packed my S-10 with everything I owned and made the 24-hour drive from Ohio to Montana. The plan was to work on a ranch that summer, get settled in, and start the fall semester at Montana State. Somewhere around 15 hours into the drive, in the Dakotas, I was beginning to question my life decision that had led me there.


Then the Absarokas, Crazies, and Gallatins came into view.


I remember feeling an almost physical weight lift off my shoulders. I’ll never forget rolling down Main Street in Bozeman on a picture-perfect summer morning and stopping at the Western Cafe for breakfast. Back then, downtown was still a sleepy little place. Montana felt like home before I even really knew what home meant.


Fifteen years later, I find myself holding a tag I never expected to draw—the one I wanted more than any other. A coveted once-in-a-lifetime mountain goat tag basically in my backyard. I'm experiencing a baseline depression from the thought of not having this tag again and the hunts not even done yet....I have to pinch myself thinking of what a blessing this opportunity is.


The place they call home is like a drug I can't quite get enough of. More than any animal I've been fortunate enough to hunt, I find myself having a difficult time reasoning with the idea of taking such a cool animal out of the beautiful landscape they call home.

I know that if everything goes right, eventually I’ll have to make a decision that will bring the hunt to an end....till then I'll keep soaking it in and enjoying the experience.

Here's some video's from all the scouting thus far:


I'll try and do a post hunt write up if it all works out. Happy hunting this fall!
 
Like any good nerd, as soon as results were posted and I realized I drew the tag books were ordered.

1. A Beast the Color of Winter
2. Life on the Rocks

I also scoured the internet for anything I could find to try and understand goats better. After reading these books I realized I didn’t know as much as I thought I did about these animals.

From a conservation standpoint, I found it interesting that goats weren’t native to this area. Transplant efforts started in the 1940’s and though natural range expansion they colonized into the surrounding areas. One being the mountain range my tag is good for. So, all things considered, they’re relatively new to the area.

I learned Nannie’s will carry their winter coats longer into the summer. This ended up being a very helpful trick for determining nanny vs. billy on some of the early scouting trips. Anyone that’s wrangled young kids knows it can be a lot of work; the theory is the billies have more time to tend to their coats because they're not dealing with the duties of raising kids.

Early on, determining Billy vs Nanny during the hunt was another concern of mine. After months of scouting and observing goats I feel like I’ve got a decent handle on this. I've been fortunate to stumble across a dozen plus billies thus far and after a couple minutes of observation, their tendencies/behavior patterns are pretty distinguishable. I've had multiple dry lone nannies observed from miles away cause me to burn a lot of boot leather but after getting in close It was obvious I was fooled.

Dry/old nannies play a critical role in the dynamics of the heard. The matriarch females help pass down knowledge to the up and coming nannies.

My goal is to find a mature billy with quality hair. Ideal timeframe is now through the end of the season.

Determining a mature billy can be a challenge to a novice like myself. One of the books mentioned a young Billy will already have 90+% of its horn length by age 3 to 4. You can imagine when you're dealing with only 8-9" of horn the challenges that could present. A small face with large horns can make them look exceptional. Through talking with people more knowledgeable and reading I'm learning that body size and behavioral habits are far more important than horn length when trying to target an older age class billiy. I'm also realistic on size expectations. The unit is not known for high scoring goats, not a top priority of mine anyways. Here are a couple photos the rocky mountain goat alliance had on their webpage. I thinkg they highlight the challenge of judging. Ideally I get in close enough to see rings, but to be honest as shown below I'm not sure I could even accurately determine what counts as a ring.
IMG_3291.jpegIMG_3290.jpegIMG_3289.jpegIMG_3299.jpeg

I am liable to still screw this up but with the time I have and the billies I've seen I think there will be an option that will fit the bill just fine. The more mature one's ive seen are hanging in groups. I'm hopeful if I get in close enough and having the ability to compare the decision will become clear.

My little cheat sheet from a stock google image:IMG_3292.jpeg

We're starting in May lol...giving you a little insight to the way my brain operates.
 
Is this a live hunt that’s still unfolding or a start to finish recap? If it’s still unfolding, I learned a hard lesson last week about judging and sexing goats that upended some of what I thought I knew about goats.

I considered myself a pretty good judge of quality and sex and was completely fooled by a 9 1/2-10 1/2 year old nanny.

BTW for whatever it’s worth that single billy bedded under the cliff towards the end of your video is the best goat on the video IMO.IMG_3734.png
 
Is this a live hunt that’s still unfolding or a start to finish recap? If it’s still unfolding, I learned a hard lesson last week about judging and sexing goats that upended some of what I thought I knew about goats.

I considered myself a pretty good judge of quality and sex and was completely fooled by a 9 1/2-10 1/2 year old nanny.

BTW for whatever it’s worth that single billy bedded under the cliff towards the end of your video is the best goat on the video IMO.View attachment 418685
Yeah, still hunting. I've got the 10-17th off for my main stretch. I Did a quick scout yesterday and found 4 additional billies. Pretty far off but saw the sacks to confirm. One looked okay till he turned his head and half his driver side was broken off.
IMG_3242.jpegIMG_3258.jpeg
I’ll try and post photos of some of the more mature ones. Interested to get people’s thoughts. I need to get in closer cause my spotter can play tricks.

It’s goat hunting though. When your 7+ miles in and their in a safe spot to kill/retrieve its likely to influence the real time decision making. Ive got two main groups that have the more mature Billie’s I’ve seen and they happen to be about as far apart in the unit as you can get. One I checked last weekend, the other (which includes that goat you commented on) I haven’t seen since late July. 30 tags and pressure could shake things up but we’ll see.
 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
120,135
Messages
2,250,978
Members
39,099
Latest member
ebsarg
Back
Top