Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Roadside camping in Kansas

jayvav

This year I applied for my first either species rifle tag for Kansas and drew. I have been looking at the WIHA maps and have some spots picked out In NW Kansas to try. Now I’m trying to figure out a camping situation. I bought a camper shell for my truck to camp out of but since you can’t camp on Walk in land, I’m curious where you guys park to camp. Do you look for parking lots and camp grounds or do you just park on the side of the road near your hunting area? I would just find a Walmart parking lot but they are few and far between in that area.

There are free campsites on some of the state lands, as well as designated campground areas at the state parks out there.

Most of the “State Fishing Lakes” allow camping. Some have cabins. Some towns have camp sites (probably for a fee) in their city parks. As mentioned, state parks and some state land allow camping. State land “primitive camping” has mostly been closed near me - but you can still pitch a tent in the state parks. Maybe some privately owned campgrounds around? Unless it just works out, you will probably not end up camping right where you are hunting and will be driving to and from camp.

Most of the “State Fishing Lakes” allow camping. Some have cabins. Some towns have camp sites (probably for a fee) in their city parks. As mentioned, state parks and some state land allow camping. State land “primitive camping” has mostly been closed near me - but you can still pitch a tent in the state parks. Maybe some privately owned campgrounds around? Unless it just works out, you will probably not end up camping right where you are hunting and will be driving to and from camp.
There are a couple RV parks and a roadside park near where I want to hunt. Do you think the first come first serve camp sites get crowded during hunting season? Maybe it would be better to get a reservation at an rv park?

I live/hunt central KS. No experience in NW KS, so remember that when you make a decision! If it were me I would pick a couple spots to camp/park (plan A, B, C) and go. I don’t mind learning the hard way though.

Yes, those sites will likely be occupied. As FH mentioned, have several options scouted out. Other seasons are open during that time. Good luck, my group will be hunting central KS this fall as well.

Congrats on drawing your first species rifle tag for Kansas! That's exciting news. As for camping, I would recommend checking out some of the campgrounds in the area. While it may be tempting to just park on the side of the road, it's always better to camp in designated areas for safety reasons.
If you're looking for some great gear recommendations for camping and hunting, check out Gear Assistant. They've got some great advice on everything from tents to hunting rifles.
Good luck on your hunting trip, and I hope you also have a great camping experience!

Last edited:
Check for county parks. That’s where my group stayed when we did our deer hunt out there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HUNT7503
Back