PEAX Equipment

Roadkill

I need to replace my old truck. The old Dodge 2500 with the heavy duty grill guard was instant death on deer, but the meat loss was excessive. Now with the price of fuel and Montana's game salvage law, I am thinking about looking at a smaller truck.
Is a Ford ranger or similar sized truck enough auto for deer?
What if I happen to see some elk on the road, will I be using a truck that just doesn't have enough down road energy?
Should I get the smaller truck and worry more about where I hit them or just drive faster?
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
What if I happen to see some elk on the road, will I be using a truck that just doesn't have enough down road energy?
Should I get the smaller truck and worry more about where I hit them or just drive faster?
Thanks for your help.
Ranger is perfect. Just go faster. They go over the top and land in the bed. Don’t even hafta slow down. That’s how all them guys get a whole elk in the truck. I saw it on the interwebs.

Ranger is perfect. Just go faster. They go over the top and land in the bed. Don’t even hafta slow down. That’s how all them guys get a whole elk in the truck. I saw it on the interwebs.
Sounds like I need to hit them low, kind of like a defensive back tackling Jerome Bettis.

In my "experience" (deer-0, me-4/pigs-0, me-2)), a Dodge 2500* is just 1000 short of enuff pik-em-up truck. Getcha a 3500 dually! Preferably a pre '05 w/Cummins diesel.
The "dually" aids in the tenderization process.
The "rmmm-rmmm-rmmm" of the Cummins makes it sound like the meat grinder it is.
With 6 speed manual tranny, you should only feel a slight "thump"!

ps - with that "Continental" style front end, aim a bit high or you'll have 'em in yer lap!

* - doe caused the drivers side air bag to inflate. Think I'd rather have just hit the deer!

I need to replace my old truck. The old Dodge 2500 with the heavy duty grill guard was instant death on deer, but the meat loss was excessive. Now with the price of fuel and Montana's game salvage law, I am thinking about looking at a smaller truck.
Thanks for your help.
This is why the good lord blessed us with plate winch bumpers and nitrous oxide.

I was on the moose road kill list for 25 years. Helped feed my family n I'm grateful

Thanks for your help.
I looked high and low on the interweb of a picture of a hipster with a manbun driving a Ford Ranger. NOPE.
Was it upside down? Because you know what an upside down pineapple means......lol
I had to google that one. So not just a Bozeman thing, I guess.

How often did you get called out?
We would get a moose a year. 2 on a few years. Got a call during a blizzard white out. I pull up n state trooper is sitting in his rig lights on. Says to me that he's scared of getting ran in to even with all his lights on because it's so snowy. I tell him I'm going to put a chain around the neck of this 800 pound adult cow moose n drag it down the highway to the next road pull out with my truck n process it there.
He grabs the chain n heads down to the moose in 3' of snow for 30' , glad I had a couple chains, n hooks her up. Alaska State Troopers are walking heros BTW.
. I can only imagine what folks thought when they saw a trooper all lit up chasing a guy who's dragging a dead moose down the highway in a snowstorm

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back