Leupold Banner

Roadkill

antlerradar

I need to replace my old truck. The old Dodge 2500 with the heavy duty grill guard was instant death on deer, but the meat loss was excessive. Now with the price of fuel and Montana's game salvage law, I am thinking about looking at a smaller truck.
Is a Ford ranger or similar sized truck enough auto for deer?
What if I happen to see some elk on the road, will I be using a truck that just doesn't have enough down road energy?
Should I get the smaller truck and worry more about where I hit them or just drive faster?
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Hunting Wife

What if I happen to see some elk on the road, will I be using a truck that just doesn't have enough down road energy?
Should I get the smaller truck and worry more about where I hit them or just drive faster?
Thanks for your help.
Ranger is perfect. Just go faster. They go over the top and land in the bed. Don’t even hafta slow down. That’s how all them guys get a whole elk in the truck. I saw it on the interwebs.

antlerradar

Ranger is perfect. Just go faster. They go over the top and land in the bed. Don’t even hafta slow down. That’s how all them guys get a whole elk in the truck. I saw it on the interwebs.
Sounds like I need to hit them low, kind of like a defensive back tackling Jerome Bettis.

Otto Matic

In my "experience" (deer-0, me-4/pigs-0, me-2)), a Dodge 2500* is just 1000 short of enuff pik-em-up truck. Getcha a 3500 dually! Preferably a pre '05 w/Cummins diesel.
The "dually" aids in the tenderization process.
The "rmmm-rmmm-rmmm" of the Cummins makes it sound like the meat grinder it is.
With 6 speed manual tranny, you should only feel a slight "thump"!

ps - with that "Continental" style front end, aim a bit high or you'll have 'em in yer lap!

* - doe caused the drivers side air bag to inflate. Think I'd rather have just hit the deer!

turbobrick

I need to replace my old truck. The old Dodge 2500 with the heavy duty grill guard was instant death on deer, but the meat loss was excessive. Now with the price of fuel and Montana's game salvage law, I am thinking about looking at a smaller truck.
Is a Ford ranger or similar sized truck enough auto for deer?
Thanks for your help.
This is why the good lord blessed us with plate winch bumpers and nitrous oxide.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MidwestHunt