Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Road constructuon by seely lake

Went through it a dozen times over the summer, and also waited up to an hour a couple times. It stinks. I'll actually be going through it again this week...

Something I've wondered about: They had what was basically an on-site gravel pit to supply material for the road construction, but a bunch of folks with vacation homes became suddenly concerned about the effect of a temporary development paling in comparative impact to their permanent McMansions, and successfully shut that down. I've heard they are now shipping in gravel from the Brown's Lake area 30 miles away. Not sure if that is actually influencing it. Road construction in Montana can be slothlike.

Last edited:
Well I can't imagine that's helping the progress and now those residents can enjoy another entire summer of construction and they'll probably bitch about that to. Cause there is no way that gets done in the next month.

I think the environmental considerations of building on the edge of a waterway add a lot of complication to the work as well. Permits for construction have pretty strict requirements as far as material entering the water or increasing turbidity.
I'm sure this is the truth, but there is something to say about having your ducks in a row...

I came through there last Wednesday and they are also doing two sections of paving with single lane traffic control north of the state forest to Swan Lake, it was only a 10-12 minute wait but traffic was low.

I can’t figure out the traffic control plan at Salmon Lake either (multiple stop lights) and they should have been working nights this summer/fall. Light plants are highly effective when they are working at single locations constructing segmented walls. I’m sure there is a reason

Went through it a dozen times over the summer, and also waited up to an hour a couple times. It stinks. I'll actually be going through it again this week...

Something I've wondered about: They had what was basically an on-site gravel pit to supply material for the road construction, but a bunch of folks with vacation homes became suddenly concerned about the effect of a temporary development paling in comparative impact to their permanent McMansions, and successfully shut that down. I've heard they are now shipping in gravel from the Brown's Lake area 30 miles away. Not sure if that is actually influencing it. Road construction in Montana can be slothlike.
I seen a big gravel operation by the cut off before Helmville (Hwy 200 and 12) by the turn off for Rich’s guest ranch, which is about 30 minutes. At $7.00 per mile that adds up pretty quickly or whatever they are charging

If not human road construction, deer destruction is par for the course...

Kiewit is doing the job, they’re no dummies.. still not sure why it’s taking so long, my guess is engineers screwed up the design and caused delays waiting for redesigns . Just a hunch
Yup.

Changed design means airing on design, then waiting on pricing, then waiting on the owner to approve the change order…

I just went to Kalispell on friday and came back Saturday. On the way up we sat for around 45 mins or so. Watched southbound come by twice before we got a chance to move. But it does look like they are fairly close to finishing, granted we know they want it done before snow flies.

Well folks as a resident of Seeley I get a kick out of your occasional inconvenience. Some folks here deal with it daily and it does suck.

I spoke to a Kiewit employee in town 2 days ago. He mentioned shortage of materials and the long haul from the Pit east of Ovando. They had to increase the fleet of belly dumps from 3 run from the shutdown pit near the cemetery to 19 for the run from the Ovando pit. Then there were areas that had to be reengineered. This may be the fault of MTDOT or whomever was hired to do it. The most recent estimate was the paving should be completed by the 20th of this month. Then next spring they will start the north part. They stated at one point they are hopeful it will be completed by the 4th of July 2024. Of course, this will be if mother nature decides to cooperate, and we all know how fickle she can be. Oh one other thing Woodworth Road has no advantage in time saving as it enters right in the midst of the construction area. One other thing I have heard is the added cost from the law suit may be in the area of 1 million dollar added cost. This maybe true or just a rumor but I'm sure someone will come up with a actual cost in the future. Time will tell. Until it's over we add a 1/2 hour to our travel time when heading south.

The paving is complete in both lanes as of today 10-13-23. They need to work on guard rails and clean up, striping and other odds and ends. Woodworth still needs work but life will be better for everyone now. Next spring it will start all over when they tear up the north half with the lights and wait time happening again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back