Caribou Gear Tarp

RMEF Elk Network and a Shane Mahoney clip

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
At RMEF Elk Camp in Nashville last month, Shane Mahoney was the keynote speaker. I have spent a lot of time with Shane, had the unfortunate task of following or preceding him at times, and I have heard him deliver a lot of keynote addresses. This was probably the best form, content, and delivery I have ever seen from Shane.

Here is a three minute clip of him speaking to the relevance of hunting in the current times.

https://elknetwork.com/relevance/

[video=youtube_share;6VyzvdTvq4M]https://youtu.be/6VyzvdTvq4M[/video]

If you are inclined, please subscribe to the RMEF Elk Network. It is a new media platform from RMEF and has a lot of good content and updates on conservation work RMEF is doing.

Shane is my spirit animal. I played this lastnight while writing and article and my wife instantly turned to me and said "is that Shane again".

I posted this to a couple of California hunting facebook pages with a call to communicate better and am curious to see if there is much of a reaction. My guess is I should include a comment about our mountain lion population, recent sighting of wolves or copper ammo to get a reaction, but I'll always keep trying.

Nice video and covers some very relevant, over-lapping issues. One challenge for big game hunting is the cost per pound for harvested meat is prohibitive as a way to acquire inexpensive protein. Most big and small game animals harvested for food are average size and not going to end up on the cover of a magazine. Many of us hunt for the experience and the harvest that puts meat on the table.

Even back in the era of hula hoops and moon landings when I was using a .22 as a resident to limit out on cottontails and red squirrels in the fields and woods that I could walk to from my home, the cost per pound of a roaster chicken was less after add up the cost of ammo and the hunting license and a bit of wear and tear on the gun and gear.

The siren call to seek protein at the source by hunting in the woods and getting organic, free-range food for the table is strong and a message that can help build our numbers of hunters and supporters. Affordability, accessibility and mentoring are all important hurdles as seek to attract more hunters.

The battle to keep public land open for hunting access is important as it provides hunting opportunity to people that otherwise would be priced out of hunting. Public lands open to hunting also help with affordability. We each can mentor within and outside our families.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back