RIP Swiss Family Robinson

What happened to your response? Did you remove it or did someone delete your freedom of speech?;)
I don't have to reply to every post, only meaningful ones, but if I said what I thought, yeah, it probably would be deleted. And sometimes, I am ignoring the poster so I don't see it. ;) Enough on this for me, though, back to elk bills.

This statement is an oxymoron. You need to look up the definition of censorship.

We sort of agree on this; however, my concerns are more about what can be housed (and protected under Section 270) on a platform vs. whether a provider can choose to exclude stuff. If a platform knowingly solicites and houses a marketplace for underage sex trafficking, they should be criminally and civilly liable for doing that. Currently under Section 270 they are not, and there are operators blatantly taking advantage of this and winning in court. Whether Trump has a platform to spew his nonsense pales in comparison. IMO.

Now back to our regularly scheduled cheese commercials.
You’re the one that needs to read the definition of censorship. Suppression of speech or ideas does not have to come from government to qualify as censorship.

Next, we are both saying that these platform laws need to be reformed. There should be no problem with disallowing certain types of content without losing your protection.

The comparison would hold for Verizon, comcast, charter, century link etc. ISPs

Facebook, Google, Hunt Talk, are all business.

Poor metaphor but is what it is.
All of those seven companies are businesses. The first four happen to be in the business of broad access data transmission in a manner the law has decided to treat as a common carrier. The latter three are in the business of providing broad access content platforms that as of this moment have not been legally classified as common carriers or publishers, but easily could be seen as either if Congress so decides. In the interest of promoting a then-nascent commercial internet congress passed some very unique and favorable rules governing such content platforms/hosts. Now that they are hardly small helpless startups I would expect in the next few years they will be stripped of some of these special rules. Whether in doing so Congress and regulators use old terminology and call them common carriers or they write a whole new regulatory scheme for digital platforms I can't predict, but the "cake and eat it too" days for social media are near an end.

The Amazon issue is REALLY close to the common carrier issue.
Nope, much more a "Walmart of the internet" issue. It is almost entirely an anti-trust issue and not at all like the common carrier vs publisher issues raised by the social media companies.

Yes BUT Facebook, Twitter and HuntTalk are basically publishing businesses. Other publishing businesses are held legally responsible for what they publish. Internet “platforms” have been granted protections that other publishers do not have, based on the idea that they essentially allow you and me to self publish, and are therefore not responsible for what you and I say. As soon as they moderate, filter or otherwise manipulate what you and I are allowed to say, there is a very solid argument that those protections no longer exist. It’s likely that laws will have to be revised or new laws passed to actually hold them responsible. What SHOULD happen is that an internet “platform” would have to decide if they were going to moderate, and open themselves up to lawsuits, or leave things unmoderated and accept their platform protections. I’m confident that certain types of moderation would and should be protected. It wouldn’t be a choice between anarchy and monarchy.
I agree with the have your cake and eat it too argument you’re making to some extent. There are 2.8 Billion FB users so it’s kinda impossible to actually moderate.

I have a problem with elected officials having private social media accounts. Gov + Pres, those should be removed when you attain office, but after your done go for it.

The problem is construing the private thoughts of a person with those of the office.

I’m more worried about the monopolies, we need some good old Roosevelt with a big stick trust busting.

Nope, much more a "Walmart of the internet" issue. It is almost entirely an anti-trust issue and not at all like the common carrier vs publisher issues raised by the social media companies.

So Amazon hosting Parler and then cancelling their hosting based on Parler’s content is not similar to ATT cancelling my order phone service?

So Amazon hosting Parler and then cancelling their hosting based on Parler’s content is not similar to ATT cancelling my order phone service?
Server farms are not common carriers, they are infrastructure leasing services. Do you think IBM or Microsoft are common carriers?

Parle could run its own server farms. The backbone tier 1 providers are the common carriers and I haven’t heard they are denying access based on speech content.

I agree with the have your cake and eat it too argument you’re making to some extent. There are 2.8 Billion FB users so it’s kinda impossible to actually moderate.

I have a problem with elected officials having private social media accounts. Gov + Pres, those should be removed when you attain office, but after your done go for it.

The problem is construing the private thoughts of a person with those of the office.

I’m more worried about the monopolies, we need some good old Roosevelt with a big stick trust busting.
I agree with you for the most part.

I don’t have a problem with an elected official having a personal social media account. I would have a bigger problem with account that is non-personal. I’m okay with Trump or Greg Abbott account. I’m a little uneasy with a POTUS or Governor of TX account. It seems a little too official for Twitter etc. to be the ones that have all the administrative abilities.

As far as FB being almost impossible to moderate, that’s exactly the point. The suppressed, and a large number of prominent political figures(not all elected) from a specific political party, while leaving up anti-Semitic accounts, terroristic accounts, accounts from elected members of the Democrat Party directly calling for things they accused Trump of calling of but could not actually find in a direct quote etc. They took down links the NY Post article on Hunter Biden. They do plenty of moderating, but it’s only geared toward their political agenda. That does not deserve platform protections. If what they were doing was against Democrat causes there would be no end to the outcry, and I would support the outcry! The answer to speech is always more speech. It is not censorship.

Server farms are not common carriers, they are infrastructure leasing services. Do you think IBM or Microsoft are common carriers?

Parle could run its own server farms. The backbone tier 1 providers are the common carriers and I haven’t heard they are denying access based on speech content.
I’m not saying that they are common carriers. I’m saying that the issue is close to the common carrier issue. We have all manner of laws regarding what sort of rights and guarantees a lessor must provide a lessee in many fields, and I’m suggesting that this is a field that we need to look into. Not every business can provide its own servers right out of the gate, and if the number of server farms that exist is limited and discriminates between it’s customers based on their politcal views, then I’m not sure that protecting the owners of the server farms is in our best interest. I’m not sure that it’s okay for a business to claim to provide a service at a certain price and then say “oh wait, not for you, I don’t like the people you vote for”

We say that business have the right refuse service BUT not for race or sex. I’m not sure that it should be ok to deny service based on which politician you vote for, donate to, or endorse.

Last edited:
I agree with you for the most part.

I don’t have a problem with an elected official having a personal social media account. I would have a bigger problem with account that is non-personal. I’m okay with Trump or Greg Abbott account. I’m a little uneasy with a POTUS or Governor of TX account. It seems a little too official for Twitter etc. to have all the administrative abilities.

As far as FB being almost impossible to moderate, that’s exactly the point. The suppressed, and a large number of prominent political figures(not all elected) from a specific political party, while leaving up anti-Semitic accounts, terroristic accounts, accounts from elected members of the Democrat Party directly calling for things they accused Trump of calling of but could not actually find in a direct quote etc. They took down links the NY Post article on Hunter Biden. They do plenty of moderating, but it’s only geared toward their political agenda. That does not deserve platform protections. If what they were doing was against Democrat causes there would be no end to the outcry, and I would support the outcry! The answer to speech is always more speech. It is not censorship.
Yeah that’s the issue, confusing the person and the office.

I think the correct answer is having a POTUS account that’s run by a press secretary. Every statement is vetted and or can be denied and the sectary fired, if necessary. That way the US has the power to walk back statements. I’m not talking about whether Bill from MA think Trump/Biden whoever will do something I’m worried Iran does. Those offices just have too many moving parts.

As far as moderating “news” that’s a can of worms. Viral disinformation is a clear and present danger to society. I agree an arbiter needs to be nonpartisan and FB isn’t.

I’m not saying that they are common carriers. I’m saying that the issue is close to the common carrier issue. We have all manner of laws regarding what sort of rights and guarantees a lessor must provide a lessee in many fields, and I’m suggesting that this is a field that we need to look into. Not every business can provide its own servers right out of the gate, and if the number of server farms that exist is limited and discriminates between it’s customers based on their politcal views, then I’m not sure that protecting the owners of the server farms is in our best interest.
I am not ready to convert every layer of internet service and software to some equivalent of common carrier - that would be a huge govt over reach into private markets.

I am not ready to convert every layer of internet service and software to some equivalent of common carrier - that would be a huge govt over reach into private markets.
Well, you already can’t deny service over race or sex. Would it be a big overreach to extend that to political speech and affiliation?

Yeah that’s the issue, confusing the person and the office.

I think the correct answer is having a POTUS account that’s run by a press secretary. Every statement is vetted and or can be denied and the sectary fired, if necessary. That way the US has the power to walk back statements. I’m not talking about whether Bill from MA think Trump/Biden whoever will do something I’m worried Iran does. Those offices just have too many moving parts.

As far as moderating “news” that’s a can of worms. Viral disinformation is a clear and present danger to society. I agree an arbiter needs to be nonpartisan and FB isn’t.

I view the personal account of an elected official and rather unofficial. I think if a POTUS or GOV account with as much formality as you suggest was ever to become a thing, I REALLY wouldn’t want it to be on Twitter, or FB, or anything else private. It seems too easy for someone with some level of administrative abilities to manipulate.

Well, you already can’t deny service over race or sex. Would it be a big overreach to extend that to political speech and affiliation?
What about “forced speech” - the web forums have the right not to be forced into speech they disagree with.

The govt needs to remove the current safe harbor for the social media companies and then let the free market work.

I view the personal account of an elected official and rather unofficial. I think if a POTUS or GOV account with as much formality as you suggest was ever to become a thing, I REALLY wouldn’t want it to be on Twitter, or FB, or anything else private. It seems too easy for someone with some level of administrative abilities to manipulate.
It already does, and that’s the point @POTUS on Twitter.

Biden and Obama didn’t actually tweet themselves it was an aide.

Trump did, that’s problematic.

The issue will get worse as millennials take office, needs to be sorted out now, IMHO.

What about “forced speech” - the web forums have the right not to be forced into speech they disagree with.

The govt needs to remove the current safe harbor for the social media companies and then let the free market work.
If they want platform protection, then they should not be able to censor political speech by one party, but nothing the other. Furthermore, with Amazon’s servers, it really doesn’t seem like forced speech. If I rent a space for use as a shoe store, and I’m allowed to put a sign on the store front, is it forced speech is the sign says “Trump for President”? I didn’t force the property management company to say anything at all.

It already does, and that’s the point @POTUS on Twitter.

Biden and Obama didn’t actually tweet themselves it was an aide.

Trump did, that’s problematic.

The issue will get worse as millennials take office, needs to be sorted out now, IMHO.

I doubt that Obama’s agreement with his aide was as formal as you suggested, but I could be wrong.

Back