RIP Senator Feinstein

My general rebuttal is, where else in society would we want someone who's not an expert to do that a job? We hire plumbers because they're trained, experienced, and know what they're doing. Same with surgeons, or auto mechanics or cooks. All professions that time to acquire enough experience to succeed or, heaven forbid, excel at it. I think of my elected officials the same way. I don't want a plumber trying to pass healthcare legislation.

But at the same time, I can absolutely support some kind of age cutoff.
But we elect people all the time that aren't trained or experienced. Lawyers still make up the largest education path, which makes sense because their job is to make laws, but it feels like we have started to go off the rails the last 30-40yrs. Might just be my perception, but when the bills are so long no one can read them and it takes a team of younger, more qualified staff to dig into the details, we might have gone too far.

This is a little old, but it is a cool graphic.

My general rebuttal is, where else in society would we want someone who's not an expert to do that a job? We hire plumbers because they're trained, experienced, and know what they're doing. Same with surgeons, or auto mechanics or cooks. All professions that time to acquire enough experience to succeed or, heaven forbid, excel at it. I think of my elected officials the same way. I don't want a plumber trying to pass healthcare legislation.

This take is a great example of why our country is going to hell. I’d take a plumber over a corrupt lawyer who’s been in Washington for any amount of time.

I'd rather have an 80 year old successful guy enter politics than a 31 year old college graduate.

Sans less than 10%, none have achieved any success outside/prior to politics, but sit on committees that the average small business owner, teacher or homeless have more experience in.

We're "lead" by people whose only experience is political, yet we bow to Red or blue or purple as the bureaucrats decide the rule.

That sounds good until you look at what actually goes on. Feinsteins don't even read the bills, much less write them. That's done by or for the lobbyists who buy Feinsteins. A career politician's primary job is to get re-elected. They have to raise funds for their party and for their campaigns. Those are their #1 and #2 priorities. Most long term senators are really only good at being elected. That's it.

That sounds good until you look at what actually goes on. Feinsteins don't even read the bills, much less write them. That's done by or for the lobbyists who buy Feinsteins. A career politician's primary job is to get re-elected. They have to raise funds for their party and for their campaigns. Those are their #1 and #2 priorities. Most long term senators are really only good at being elected. That's it.
And how does that change if every 4 or 8 years you switch from a real estate agent to a truck driver to an engineer?

This take is a great example of why our country is going to hell. I’d take a plumber over a corrupt lawyer who’s been in Washington for any amount of time.
I've generally thought the same about every... single... one... of your posts.

I'd rather have an 80 year old successful guy enter politics than a 31 year old college graduate.

Sans less than 10%, none have achieved any success outside/prior to politics, but sit on committees that the average small business owner, teacher or homeless have more experience in.

We're "lead" by people whose only experience is political, yet we bow to Red or blue or purple as the bureaucrats decide the rule.
Define successful 80 year old guy. We have one of those in the Whitehouse, seems to be working out great........

Why can't HT merely respectfully recognize the passing of a Congress person who has contributed to the history of this nation?

Why do the same old politically focused HT pundits have to rant and rave about whatever party line they ascribe to and thus create the angst and stress for Big Fin which inevitably locks a potentially respectful piece of national news? It's not productive nor is it related to the purpose of this forum. Take the political rants elsewhere ... PLEEEZE!!!

Define successful 80 year old guy. We have one of those in the Whitehouse, seems to be working out great........
Sorry, I didn't make it obvious.

Private sector success. Show me you can keep a merit based private sector job(s), raise a family/pay bills/etc. Grow something. Build something. Be something.

That's greater than any career politician dependent on prom voting.

Why can't HT merely respectfully recognize the passing of a Congress person who has contributed to the history of this nation?

Why do the same old politically focused HT pundits have to rant and rave about whatever party line they ascribe to and thus create the angst and stress for Big Fin which inevitably locks a potentially respectful piece of national news? It's not productive nor is it related to the purpose of this forum. Take the political rants elsewhere ... PLEEEZE!!!
Dude, you can't even talk about inflation in the "money and finance" section. Check out I think @BigHornRam thread that got locked.

"I don't know what this has to do with hunting"-probably nothing, as it's in the "money and finance" section.

Don't mean to be Mr obvious, but if a person has thin skin and can't take something in an off topic area, they don't have to open the thread, ya know? If someone is bringing up inflation in a thread about tag soup, how to scout antelope, how to cook shank, I could understand.

If a fella doesn't like "non hunting discussion", a fella should not go into "non hunting discussion" topics. If a fella doesn't like it period, then a fella shouldn't create "non hunting discussion" sections.

Sorry, I didn't make it obvious.

Private sector success. Show me you can keep a merit based private sector job(s), raise a family/pay bills/etc. Grow something. Build something. Be something.

That's greater than any career politician dependent on prom voting.
The only person that chooses to move from being the successful greaser of palms to the greasee is for sure a narcissist. And no one likes them but them and those looking to benefit grease. So we get what we get. 🤷‍♂️

The only person that chooses to move from being the successful greaser of palms to the greasee is for sure a narcissist. And no one likes them but them and those looking to benefit grease. So we get what we get. 🤷‍♂️
That's why I'm not necessarily in favor of term limits. It's who WE asked for.

I'm on the same page as you on that

A thread about probably the most anti gun Congress Person there is/was on hunting site..What did you expect?

A thread about probably the most anti gun Congress Person there is/was on hunting site..What did you expect?
Merely a little respect for the deceased is expected.
Go ahead and rant and rave about gun control or lack thereof ... or whatever your political flavor of the day is, but on a separate thread or somewhere else.

Then open your own political "off topic" thread and don't continue to bloviate on a thread meant to respectfully remember a recently deceased Congress person.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back