PEAX Equipment

RIP Senator Feinstein

it's crazy that we elect people to serve literally until they die of old age and expect them to be completely competent and coherent the whole time.
This is a bipartisan issue that we should all be able to get behind. Call me an ageist if you'd like, but I'd prefer to see a mandatory retirement age in elected office of 70. To be clear, not elected at 68, and serve until your 74 (senate term), but out of the game at 70.

Also, can we all hold hands across the aisle and ban congressional insider trading?

As for Sen Feinstein, I wish her family well and that her memory may be a blessing.

This is a bipartisan issue that we should all be able to get behind. Call me an ageist if you'd like, but I'd prefer to see a mandatory retirement age in elected office of 70. To be clear, not elected at 68, and serve until your 74 (senate term), but out of the game at 70.

Also, can we all hold hands across the aisle and ban congressional insider trading?

As for Sen Feinstein, I wish her family well and that her memory may be a blessing.
This is interpreted as age discrimination, a violation of civil rights.

I wholeheartedly agree that there should be a mental competency requirement to hold political office. Good luck figuring out how to implement that.

I have friends that want to discuss/argue politics and I refuse using my old saying. They ask if I don't care? "Yes I care but arguing about it or agreeing about it does nothing to change it. "

Can you say term limits?
My general rebuttal is, where else in society would we want someone who's not an expert to do that a job? We hire plumbers because they're trained, experienced, and know what they're doing. Same with surgeons, or auto mechanics or cooks. All professions that time to acquire enough experience to succeed or, heaven forbid, excel at it. I think of my elected officials the same way. I don't want a plumber trying to pass healthcare legislation.

But at the same time, I can absolutely support some kind of age cutoff.

A friend of mine is a CA state senator. I ask him for advice sometimes and ask him for possible changes. He is a first term senator, meaning he doesn't have a lot of horsepower,,,,yet.

wow 90 years old. That is freaking impressive she held out for that long in that profession. You dont have to respect to politics, but its absolutely respectable she carried on with her career until the very end.

My general rebuttal is, where else in society would we want someone who's not an expert to do that a job? We hire plumbers because they're trained, experienced, and know what they're doing. Same with surgeons, or auto mechanics or cooks. All professions that time to acquire enough experience to succeed or, heaven forbid, excel at it. I think of my elected officials the same way. I don't want a plumber trying to pass healthcare legislation.

Do you want your "experienced" plumber falling down the steps going to fix your toilet or you "experienced" surgeon freezing up while he has you on the operating table? I don't know where the line should be...be I definitely know when it's been crossed when I see it.

Commercial Airline pilots are limited to the age of 65 by the FAA. The risk of "something" - be it mental or physical - happening beyond that age is too critical. It's not personal, it's just a bet hedged against statistics. Weird how we don't feel the same way about folks who can make decisions with arguably more lives at risk sometimes requiring that decision making to occur in an instant. I could understand a rebuttal that the physical doesn't really matter, and the mental would be evident, but to me it's also clear that when that "something" mental does happen to those in government, no one does anything about it. Lot's of contemporary examples of folks diminished beyond acceptability still holding their positions. I will not be specific because I am not interested in a political thread getting even more political.

As to Senator Feinstein - RIP. She was an American who put herself out there and made an impact on the world, regardless how one feels about it.

Back