Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Rings and bases

lifesupport4u

What do you like for Rings and bases? I have not had good luck with Talleys- particularly on my 7mag with heavier (Vx6 50mm) scope.

What do you like? Durability, weight, cost are my order of priorities

I'm using EGW 20MOA one piece base with Vortex Viper low rings.
The EGW base is fairly tall and robust, hence the low rings on even my 50mm objective.
I shoot 300-400 rounds of 7mm Rem Mag a year with this setup out to 1,000 yards.

I have a set of steel Warne Maximas on a lighter Savage .30-06. Going with DNZ’s on a heavier .338-06 I’m putting together. Have used the cheaper Weaver Quad-locks for a few low-recoiling rifles from .22 up to .243. Everything listed here has been great, except the DNZ one piece, since I haven’t installed it yet.

I have had Leupold QR before and they were excellent on my Browning X-Bolt 30-06, I use Optilock on my Sako .243, excellent rings and bases.
Since I traded in my 30-06 I use the mounts made for the rifle, Blaser.
Cheers
Richard

I have Warne Mt Techs on one of my 300 win mags with a VX-6. Fantastic rings, well designed, lightweight yet rock solid. I have shot hundreds of rounds with this setup, and taken it on lots of hunts. No issues whatsoever.

I love Conetrol rings and bases. They are projectionless and have no screw holes to get full of crud. I have them on my custom Mark V 270 Roy and on my custom Mark V 340 Roy. They have banged around the western US and Canada and Alaska with no point of impact change for 25+ years.. Check them out. GJ

For durability and simplicity of install I usually use the formula of: 1) one-piece scope base bedded properly to the action to prevent tension/bending and retain "straightness" (bed one end of the rail, torque other end to spec, let cure, then install both screws to spec) 2) Pair of rings with big square recoil lugs that are not part of the securing bolt/system machined from the same piece/matched or lapped as installed to ensure good alignment

This has led me to the combination of bedding any decent one-piece base with a pair of Seekins/Vortex precision matched rings. I will sacrifice a tiny bit of weight for durability here since your optic going down means hiking out in most cases. Dropped my 300 wm with this setup and cheapo nikon bdc scope right on a big rock from 4-5ft up one year when I was teetering around with a stupid heavy pack out, knocked right on the scope body. I was so positive it had shifted zero and skeptical I wouldn't need to swap scopes I drove all the way out to my range 1.5 hrs away only to confirm my zero hadn't even shifted at all :LOL:

This has led me to the combination of bedding any decent one-piece base with a pair of Seekins/Vortex precision matched rings. I will sacrifice a tiny bit of weight for durability here since your optic going down means hiking out in most cases. Dropped my 300 wm with this setup and cheapo nikon bdc scope right on a big rock from 4-5ft up one year when I was teetering around with a stupid heavy pack out, knocked right on the scope body. I was so positive it had shifted zero and skeptical I wouldn't need to swap scopes I drove all the way out to my range 1.5 hrs away only to confirm my zero hadn't even shifted at all :LOL:

I run the Seekins rings and bases on all of my rifles and have excellent results as well.

What do you like for Rings and bases? I have not had good luck with Talleys- particularly on my 7mag with heavier (Vx6 50mm) scope.

What do you like? Durability, weight, cost are my order of priorities

What type of issues are you having with Talleys? I’ve got them on my ‘06, 7mm both with no issue so far.

Hawkins Precision Hybrids are what I use now. Solid mounts and awesome company.

What type of issues are you having with Talleys? I’ve got them on my ‘06, 7mm both with no issue so far.
Could be my scope. Leupold sent it back and said it was ok... but it won’t hold a 0 for crap. No issues on my 308 with Talleys and a Leupold.

I have an EGW 1 piece base with SWFA SS-tac rings. The rings are a little on the heavier side but are very sturdy.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back