Caribou Gear

Rifle upgrade! Tikka T3x

Yooper906

Well I finally pulled the trigger on a new Tikka T3x and I'm very impressed. I've never owned a brand new rifle and my current hunting rifle is a 1960s Remington 700 that my grandad gave me. Let's just say that rifle has seen better days.

I've always been a archery guy and rarely hunted with that rifle, but figured it was time I bought my own rifle.

It took about 10 shots to get it dialed in and I would say it's dialed. I don't claim to be a marksman, but this rifle makes me look good. With the ammo shortage i was unable to get different types to test out. I was shooting Winchester Silvertip 165 grain. This was my last 3 shots of the day. If you're on the fence about tikka, trust me you won't regret it.

Attachments

• PXL_20201215_165819689.jpg
    PXL_20201215_165819689.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 223
  • Snapchat-1110532016.jpg
    Snapchat-1110532016.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 227
I’d encourage you to adjust the trigger pull to your liking, you may find you shoot even better with a little lighter pull. Tikka factory triggers are one of the most underrated things about them IMO. Very crisp, easy to adjust, and with $10 YoDave spring you can get under 2 lbs if you want to.

When my boys were able to hunt (12 yrs. old), I bought a Tikka "featherlight" .270. I really like that gun, as well. Now that they have grown. I have that gun for antelope, deer, and coyote hunting.
What caliber and what gun name within Tikka did you purchase. Reason I ask is I'm thinking of purchasing a 300 WM and I am considering a Tikka.

When my boys were able to hunt (12 yrs. old), I bought a Tikka "featherlight" .270. I really like that gun, as well. Now that they have grown. I have that gun for antelope, deer, and coyote hunting.
What caliber and what gun name within Tikka did you purchase. Reason I ask is I'm thinking of purchasing a 300 WM and I am considering a Tikka.
Looks like the T3x Lite Roughtech. Handled one in the store and the stock feels nice. factory muzzle brake isn't a bad feature either, especially for a 300wm.

Looks like the T3x Lite Roughtech. Handled one in the store and the stock feels nice. factory muzzle brake isn't a bad feature either, especially for a 300wm.
Yeah, it's the Tikka T3x Lite Roughtech, chambered in .308. I actually was just looking for the T3X that was around $750, but the gun shop didn't have it. Therefore, I pulled the trigger on this one. Wife gave me okay to buy a gun, I had to act fast before she changed her mind.

I’d encourage you to adjust the trigger pull to your liking, you may find you shoot even better with a little lighter pull. Tikka factory triggers are one of the most underrated things about them IMO. Very crisp, easy to adjust, and with $10 YoDave spring you can get under 2 lbs if you want to.
I was planning on doing this with the factory trigger. I'm not sure what the trigger pull is out of the box, but alittle heavy compared to what I was use to.

Congrats, nice rifle and nice shooting. (they look even better with Leupolds on them ;) And it's chambered in . . . . . .
Haha I will probably upgrade the scope! I will keep Leupold in mind 😉. I have it chambered in .308.

Love my new Tikka in 6.5 Creed. Mounted a Luepold VX3i 3.5-10x40 with DNZ low mount. Shot a couple deer with it this year and the round does great. I only get a chance to bench shoot rifles 2 to 3 times a year so I consider any group that’s under an inch at 100 yards to be great for me. Only have 43 rounds through this gun. The target pictured is best group so far with Hornady whitetail ammo. I let the crosshairs wobble a bit on a couple shots or they’d all be nearly touching. I shoot on a bench bag with a rolled up sock under the buttstock. No led sled For me. I hunted with GMX this year but will probably be using the interlocks next year the way ammo prices are. And I have a full box on hand. Also, I added a mountain tactical billet magazine that I really like.

Attachments

• 73044A3B-F41C-4933-B02C-C08EAA03A4C7.jpeg
    73044A3B-F41C-4933-B02C-C08EAA03A4C7.jpeg
    295.6 KB · Views: 62
  • D44659AA-EBE6-471C-BEA7-3C2D81E660B8.jpeg
    D44659AA-EBE6-471C-BEA7-3C2D81E660B8.jpeg
    794.2 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Hoping to pick up a T3X Superlite from sportsman's when they get back in stock. Cant decide on .308 or 30-06 for all-purpose. Anyone care to weigh in? will the 30-06 be too punchy in the superlite?

Hoping to pick up a T3X Superlite from sportsman's when they get back in stock. Cant decide on .308 or 30-06 for all-purpose. Anyone care to weigh in? will the 30-06 be too punchy in the superlite?
I have an original T3 in 30-06. I put a limbsaver pad on and it helped. I chose 30-06 for the history and family, my best friend chose .308 for its use in the military. Dealers choice.

Cant decide on .308 or 30-06 for all-purpose.
Personal preference, especially with Tikkas since the actions are the same for SA and LA so no weight or length benefits. .308 will be a bit lower in recoil and 30-06 will shoot slightly bigger bullets. Pick one. I personally chose .308, but no reason someon else should.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back