rifle scope - 40mm or 50mm?

My understanding is the higher you have to mount the scope above the barrel that the less "flat" you will shoot the bullet. In other words, as you raise the scope up you then have to create a larger angle in relation to the point of bullet impact vs. the barrel so if you sight your cross hairs for 150 yards then you have less yards before and especially beyond that where will remain in the kill zone.

The larger the scope circumference then the more likely on a bolt action that the bolt hits the scope unless raise up to medium or tall mounts.

Someone who knows this better can correct me or explain clearer.

The larger tubes give the benefit of more adjustment for your turrets. You cannot get enough adjustment from a 1" tube to use it for something like F-class or other long range shooting where you are dialing in the drop and wind.
That's my understanding as well. Dan claimed the scope tube size affected light transmission. I've not read any reputable reports that would back that up and was curious if he had any.

I recently bought a new VX3 for my Browning 270WSM .Nice scope.I was looking at Nikon but with the recent negative ratings on there customer service I went to Leupold.

Back