Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Rifle jam and bear attack.

The rifle isn't a Gunwerks nor is it worth 8K. Doesn't matter anyway. Surprised nobody mentioned wind so far. You could hear it ripping. He was a fool to take that shot in those conditions. mtmuley
I didn’t watch this video, because I decided not to give them any more clicks. I’m almost positive they used a Gunwerks rifle on the sheep hunt that was mentioned earlier. They shot a box of shells before killing the sheep.

I was just going to say that.

Let’s ignore the fact that 400+ yard shot is borderline sketchy. Now let’s add elevation, wind and snowfall.

Super poor judgement. Anything for the likes, though. Even if it’s at the animals expense.
IDK, a 500 yard shot is a cakewalk. But I sure wouldn't do it on a grizz in 30-40 mph wind with half his body covered in snow. The video details of the shots were not clear on my phone though.

She hit it three times in the front half with a 338 at 475 yds in wind. Questionable ethical shot, but she's a better shot than me.

power does not kill! placement does!

I am guessing all we needed was a 80 yard bow shot right

People mess up all the time and bad decisions and bad execution of process are gonna happen with humans. Experience is the best trainer not an influencer.

On another note> Is it me or does it seem like people are more likely to take a sketchy shot when they are carrying a BIG Magnum BOOMER with their special bullet??

stick your chin up> which will you run away from instantly 1. a mike tyson punch to the hip/butt or 2. a 15 yr old lays one perfect on your chin, the home run hitters are not using magnum bats! Its all technique. Oh what does every parent wanna do for their child to make them hit better>>>>> The fools buy new bats when the kids need a new swing!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I think that video is a pretty good example of them really not having the ability to shoot that far.

Maybe get closer next time and leave the $8k boat anchor at home.
I think you need to watch the video again. I watched this a couple of weeks ago. If memory serves me correctly, the shots were good shots. It just didn't die yet.

1 shot went through the front shoulder and vitals.
1 shot was right behind the shoulder also through the vitals.
1 was high neck/spine but missed the spine.

If you listen to the video, towards the end you'd hear about their take aways from the hunt. Watch some of their videos, they shoot long range all the time. They did say they should've gotten within 300 yards and regretted shooting it uphill from them.

I think the biggest take away should be for us people who reload. Use your newest brass and make sure the primer pockets aren't loose if you're going to hunt something that might try to kill you. Everyone should carry a pistol, and certainly don't let a bear know where you are.

They yelled at the bear to try to get it to stand up. That was a bad idea. If the bear can figure out that you're there, they'll come for you if you wound them.

Watch the clip below. If the bear saw him pump his fist, the outcome would've likely been extremely different. It's almost the same in every brown bear video. Once shot, the bear looks around to see who did that. Best to stay still!

She hit it three times in the front half with a 338 at 475 yds in wind. Questionable ethical shot, but she's a better shot than me.
He was the one who shot it. But regardless, he had 2 solid hits, one neck shot that missed the spine, but these guys & gal definitely know how to shoot.

I personally don't like the really long range shooting these guys do but they have the set up $8,000 gun and $2,500 range finder and ability to do it. But they also bow hunt and are incredible at that. Most in crew would rather shoot something with the bow than a rifle. I think they make some of the highest quality videos on YouTube besides Gritty

You could not be more wrong. You could try, but you would not be successful.

I think you need to watch the video again. I watched this a couple of weeks ago. If memory serves me correctly, the shots were good shots. It just didn't die yet.

If you listen to the video, towards the end you'd hear about their take aways from the hunt. Watch some of their videos, they shoot long range all the time. They did say they should've gotten within 300 yards and regretted shooting it uphill from them.

I think the biggest take away should be for us people who reload. Use your newest brass and make sure the primer pockets aren't loose if you're going to hunt something that might try to kill you. Everyone should carry a pistol, and certainly don't let a bear know where you are.

They yelled at the bear to try to get it to stand up. That was a bad idea. If the bear can figure out that you're there, they'll come for you if you wound them.

Watch the clip below. If the bear saw him pump his fist, the outcome would've likely been extremely different. It's almost the same in every brown bear video. Once shot, the bear looks around to see who did that. Best to stay still!

He was the one who shot it. But regardless, he had 2 solid hits, one neck shot that missed the spine, but these guys & gal definitely know how to shoot.
Bull fuggin' shit....

I've killed more stuff on accident than you have on purpose....that's garbage shooting and poor shots. I was standing right beside one of my best friends when he shot a similar sized brown bear at about 150 yards. Shot it behind the shoulder, bear ran maybe 30 yards and dead. With a boat paddle 338 and 250 partitions.

Sell crazy somewhere else, a properly shot animal doesn't drag itself 500 yards through deep snow.

Jump into reality.

I think she is using the phrases “through the front shoulder and vitals” and “through the vitals” fairly loosely. The bear covered much more ground and lasted much longer than it would have had it been hit in what I would consider to be “through the vitals.” I didn’t see the bear show any evidence of its front leg/shoulder being broken. I initially thought it was having trouble with a back leg but as it got closer that disappeared.

We know the bear was 475 yards away when it started it’s journey following the “good shots”.

I guess my standards are different. A “good shot” equals tip over within a few steps. If you hit an animal three $*)Q!#@$ times and it still covers 475 yards, and then requires finishing shots, I fail to see how “good” could even be considered as an adjective.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back