Caribou Gear Tarp

Rifle for the ranch.

I’d take a good look at any of the budget bolt actions that are available now. Most will give you an affordable rifle with good accuracy for under $400. Personally I’d upgrade the scopes as I don’t have much love for the package rifle scopes. $200 VX-freedom in 2-7x or 3-9x will have you squared away nicely.

This is what I'm leaning towards. I guess old habits are hard to break.

Ruger American Ranch; that's its intended purpose, after all.

What's wrong with a 22Mag ? It is after all the most popular 'varmint rifle', according to ammo sales.

During the time i was a boy, most of the ranchers carried behind their truck seat a 30-30, or a 22 LR, ora 12 gauge pump. The brands varied, and the ammo was what every was in the general store between horse collars and whiskey. The whiskey went in the jockey box (glove compartment to most folks) next to the saltines and sardines. When a coyote was found pestering a new born calf the rascal yote could run off a couple hundred yards into a bunch of cattle and laugh at the Rancher with his thIrty thirty. I came home after my first year in college with a Remington in 22-250. using highly frangible bullets which wouldn't ricochet among cattle, it has made life miserable for coyotes ever since. Kindest Regards

Last edited:
Reactions: JEL
Gramps has used the same 6mm Remington 700 with an old Bushnell on the farm as long as I can remember. The old man is still the best shot I’ve ever seen.

We’ve been using AR’s for years. Sometimes just a pistol of some sort.

I wouldn’t mind a lever gun of some sort but see no need to change what I am familiar with.
Most of the ranchers I know either use a lever gun, AR or bolt gun in a smaller caliber. All are always beat to hell.

I'll keep using my great grandpas lever action .22 mag until I can get my hands on something else. It's more of a want instead of a need to get another one but that's all the excuse a guy needs for a new toy.

Lever in 44 mag or 357 mag would be cool. Maybe not the most effective.

Back