Rifle for the ranch.

When you're riding around in a truck on 2 tracks and lesser roads, do you really want to trust your shot to a scope that's been banging off your rear window in a rack? I would always choose iron sights for a truck gun. It's easy to know how to use them out to 300 yards. I've seen some people who I'd guess to be tards qualify in the Army out to 300 with open iron sights.

I would get a good old wood stock, short barrel Winchester model 70 in 243 or 6.5 creedmore. Put a midpowered leupold VX3i with cds. You could reach out there and touch coyotes way out there, have a rifle that holds 6 loaded to the gills, has decent but not super expensive glass, and the wood should feel at home on a ranch.

Something like this would also work but I can't seem to find what kind of scope is on it. I don't need a $1000 scope but I don't want a piece of junk either.Have any of you had this rifle and scope combo?
I haven't bought a Savage in quite awhile, but they used to use very 'cheap' scopes on their package rifles, their rifles used to be good accurate rifles though. Most package rifles I'd view the scope skeptically. Also, the older Axis model line had a terrible trigger, IMO. The Savage AccuTrigger, while not great, is a big improvement and I think is on the Axis II.

Thanks everybody! I'm working on trying to look at everything you recommended.

I second the inexpensive AR... although that is a bit of an oxymoron right now

Count another vote for an AR and iron sights. Like Cush said above, they are easy to shoot and if the Army can get some of the oxygen thieves we have enlist to qualify at the range in 2 weeks with iron sights that should tell you something. No matter what you choose I wouldn't be glass dependent on something to be used like you describe.

Count another vote for an AR and iron sights. Like Cush said above, they are easy to shoot and if the Army can get some of the oxygen thieves we have enlist to qualify at the range in 2 weeks with iron sights that should tell you something. No matter what you choose I wouldn't be glass dependent on something to be used like you describe.
Ranch rifle tells me it’s getting swung out the window on a running coyote. Want to destroy your windshield? Fire a semi auto inside the cab

I always hopped out to take a shot anyways. Had a farm hand shatter the driver side window on the 1 ton resting the .22-250 on the window frame. Wasn't the brightest bulb, though. Another day he about blew out his ear drums shooting across the cab through the passenger window.

As far as iron sights go, the Army guys mentioned are young. As eyes age, more difficult to use iron sights.

I’d take a good look at any of the budget bolt actions that are available now. Most will give you an affordable rifle with good accuracy for under $400. Personally I’d upgrade the scopes as I don’t have much love for the package rifle scopes. $200 VX-freedom in 2-7x or 3-9x will have you squared away nicely.

Ranch rifle tells me it’s getting swung out the window on a running coyote. Want to destroy your windshield? Fire a semi auto inside the cab

Pretty much what I'm thinking. Although I have to admit I do not know a whole lot about a semi auto, Mini 14 or the AR..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back