Caribou Gear Tarp

Rifle for the missus

Thanks for all the replies guys! What prices would I be looking at for a 270 or 7mm-08 (without a scope)? Any recommendations for people/places with these gun models for sale?

I'll second the recommendation for a 308. The wife also shoots a 7mm, but always only uses the word 'enjoy' while shooting the 308. She and the gun are comfy to over 300 yds and at the range she can shoot all the rounds she wants without a sore shoulder.

Whatever you decide on.....try Gallary of Guns 1st. But, I'm still going to stand by the 7mm/08. Almost 50 critters on the ground, by a dozen different cartridges, lead me to an experienced/ sound decision.

It's my Americian Express rifle......."Never leave home without it" !!

Thanks for all the replies guys! What prices would I be looking at for a 270 or 7mm-08 (without a scope)? Any recommendations for people/places with these gun models for sale?
Alot depends on what brand and type your looking at. You can get a Stevens or Marlin for less than $300 or spend much more than that for a Kimber or a Sako. I don't know how tall your wife is, but what ever you get I'd make sure to get a stock with a shorter length of pull than that is put on most guns (designed for an average height man). One option since you stated you might want to use the rifle is to pick up a Weatherby Vanguard youth combo. It comes with two stocks, one with a short and one with the normal length of pull. The Marlins are getting lots of good press for being a great buy for the money.

I'll second the 7mm-08

My wife really likes shooting her 7mm-08 and it does a real number on the deer. She insisted that we make the rifle "hers" instead of ours..... hense the pink paint job. I know that caliber can also be used pretty effectively on elk with a good bonded bullet.

Attachments

• IMG_0707.jpg
    IMG_0707.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 188
What I always find intersting about these threads is that women can shoot elk with a 7-08, but if a man asked about a good elk cartridge or all around a 30-06 or 300 mag is absolute minimum anyone would go.

The last few women I've been around who were getting into hunting were more intersted in the feel of the rifle and the reassurance that its plenty big to kill the inteded quary. Also they were very intersted to know if the rifle was 'bigger' than most men shoot which I thought was funny.

Personally I would look at the minimum cartridge which I felt comfortable hunting the intended quarty with not what I felt a woman was capable of shooting.

Bambi.....absolutely right !

May be due to all the TV shows, hold over from WWII, just what the Mfg's are putting On Sale, or just a matter of No Brainer choices. I don't know, but if anyone thinks a 7mm/08 is a Pop Gun, they are verrrrry mis-informed.

In reality it will match a 270 anyday on Thump, as well as an '06 in trajectory.

If 40 yrs ago, tons of hunters blindly packed their 7X57 afield and dropped game up to Moose every season, with a single shot.....What has changed today with a round that will beat any factory load from back then ?????????????

I don't get it?

Not sure about elk, but I absolutely love the 25-06! It is deadly on deer and extremely accurate with no recoil. My wife has no problem with my 7mm mag.
Looks like you are getting alot of 7mm-08 recommendations though.

Stock fit and a good recoil pad are probably more important than the caliber selection among those listed above. My ex-wife shot her .270 Ruger M-77 (that I cut down to fit) extremely well and recoil never bothered her. My daughters all did well with it or a cut-down .308. I loaded light for them to start with, and they never noticed the recoil when shooting at game - just like us. My 11-year old has been shooting the heck out of my .223s, and will now go to either a cut-down Tikka .243 or the shortened .308 with 125 gr bullets for javelina, etc. It will also work on deer and even pigs with a 130 gr TSX. There are "Managed Recoil" loads from Remington available now, and I am currently getting the .308 sighted in with them for Michael. They shoot pretty well, too.

I would have to agree with what most said about the different calibers. I started my daughter and Fiance on a .270 with recoil reduced loads made by remmington. They worked well on antelope and deer. Now that those shells are gone I changed them to 140gr and neither seemed bothered by them. My Fiance shot her last good buck with my friends 300 ultra mag (she's only 5'2"). The most important thing with the rifle is that it is set up for her. I originally borrowed a 25-06 for her to shoot but it was set up for a guy much bigger than her and it caused a lot of problems that year.

i bought my wife and my mom a ruger 7mm-08. they have harvested a lil of everything, great accurate rifle, with minimal recoil

I got my woman a 25-06 and she loves it. It's a long range flat shooter and I'm actually thinking about using it for antelope myself. There's barely any recoil and I'm a firm believer that shot placement is more important than big bullets. I have a friend that has put down about 20 elk with a 250-3000 and I've watched his son put a cow elk down with it in a 1 shot kill with a Barnes triple shock bullet loaded with a youth load.

I'll give another vote for the 7mm-08. I bought one this Summer in a Browning X-bolt, with a 2.5x10x40 VXIII on top. It shoots lights out.

My wife shoots a Savage 7.08 youth model for deer and antalope and a weatherby youth model 308 she shoots both very well. At first I reloaded both with reduced recoil loads, but now I have bumped up the loads a little, she is doing just fine! The biggest thing was finding rifles that fit her!

Back