Rifle for hunting with a suppressor

Missoulaz28

If you were looking for a new hunting rifle that is threaded for a suppressor what would you be looking at? Shot range would be inside 400.

My thoughts on what I'm looking for are-
Light weight
20" threaded barrel
Short action
7-08 or 308
Stainless
~$1200 price cap

I haven't found the perfect setup yet, but lots of things that check most of the boxes.
And nothing is set in stone as far as the above list, so if you have an idea let me know.

I currently hunt with a Tikka t3 270win and absolutely love it. So I may just end up getting it threaded. But who doesn't like a new gun.

What would you go with?

I think your headed in the right direction. Keep an eye on thread pitch compared to the suppressor you want if it is direct thread. Definitely keep the barrel short, when I have my can on I feel like the flag guy in the civil war. I have to carry under the arm to be able to walk almost anywhere with trees.

7EE1FD64-5BA3-4441-AFD0-433B1B9057D9.jpeg

In my experience, lightweight barrels and suppressors do not go hand in hand very well....especially without carbon wrapping. They heat up quickly and can lead to frustrating range sessions. The RifleKuhl device by MagnetoSpeed is helpful in this regard. That said, I have a T3 Lite in .308 that tolerates my Dead Air Sandman-S better than another Tikka T3x in 7mm-08 that would not group to save its life with that same configuration. The 7mm-08 was excused from service as a result. If you've not been down the suppressed rifle road yet, I would suggest buying something else before modifying a rifle that you absolutely love.

My go-to rifle for suppressed hunting at medium ranges as you describe is a CA Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC, but that's outside of your price limit. I have a Tikka CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor that does extremely well with a SilencerCo Harvester, but it may be heavier than you would like. I really wish Tikka would add threaded muzzles to their standard line. Perhaps there's a Bergara model that would work for you? I'd check the Howa line-up, too. Seems like I remember them doing more threaded muzzles these days.

This is what a stainless Browning A-Bolt in 308 with a 20" barrel and a suppressor looks like. I had a custom made thread adapter made to replace the BOSS muzzle break without having to cut or recrown the barrel. Picked it up from the gunsmith yesterday. It was extremely accurate before the can, hoping things haven't changed!

20210510_175432.jpg

If I were buying a dedicated suppressor host for under 300 yard shots it would be 16.5-18" barrel, but the 20" isnt unmanageable.

Last edited:
I went with this and couldn't be happier. You can get the same rifle in 20" if you want, but I went with 18" so it fits in a standard case with the suppressor on. Plenty of gun for elk and deer out to 400.

Not sure the Tikka can be threaded. But then I am not the suppressor guy, where I hunt they are not worth the weight or length, but then I hates brakes too, so never mind.

I wouldn't buy a rifle based on whether it's threaded unless it checks every other box of interest. You can have a smith cut, thread and cap for $150-$225. I recommend Shaen Rifles, he just did mine this winter with good turnaround and excellent machine work.
You could buy a new T3x Lite, cut/thread/cap, and be under your $1200 no prob. Or just give the treatment to the one you have.

Last edited:
I was gonna say the Randy Newberg Howa rifle has a threaded barrel but then I saw the $1200 price cap. Those go for more like $1600 but that includes VX3 scope.

I went with this and couldn't be happier. You can get the same rifle in 20" if you want, but I went with 18" so it fits in a standard case with the suppressor on. Plenty of gun for elk and deer out to 400.

this is on the list of rifles i"ve been looking at for sure. Just a bit heavier then what I was thinking.

How's the cheekweld?

It’s got a version of the accustock so completely adjustable lop and cheek ht with different inserts but I like it as it came from the factory so I haven’t messed with it. Think I’m going to post it in the classifieds section, great gun, super accurate, just not something I think will get much use. We got the custom gun build bug and have fallen in to that rabbit hole as of late. Having a hard time convincing the wife to sign off on another high end scope so think I’m gonna turn this toward that.

For range sessions, a can might make some sense, however a pair of muffs worn over ear plugs should provide all the protection anyone would ever need. In the field I rarely take more than one shot per animal per year with my rifle. The damage to my hearing while actually hunting big game is minimal. My shotgun, on the other hand, has undoubtedly done a lot of damage over the years. But hunting birds with plugs or muffs ear protection is not only unproductive, it's not very safe. I should have went with baffled plugs but they were either not around yet or too expensive for a working man with a family to afford ... back in the days when both limitations applied. I blame my hearing loss mostly on years of running a jackhammer at the aluminum plant. Surprised I'm not totally deaf.

The one day I had to borrow a rifle in Africa, the option of one with a can was made and I declined. My PH was fine with that. His backup gun didn't wear one either. I can understand why some PHs might prefer clients use them because they have to endure a high volume of clients shooting right next to them. But I find they are just too awkward to use in the field. I know what a pain in the ass my 31" barrel shotgun can be hunting uplands in relatively open country. Tracking big game through heavy cover with something like that would be a nightmare.

Back