Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Rifle Elk Hunt Question(s)

CTELK83

Hello all, I am from Rochester NY and try to head put west every fall on a western hunt. More often than not, elk. Most of the time DIY archery in Idaho. A friend of mine and myself would like to do a rifle elk hunt out west in 4 or 5 years. Was wondering what state/hunt might be the most achievable to draw a tag? We are open to a cow hunt as we are mostly in it for the meat. Not looking for the location of someone's secret swallow Haha just some suggestions.
Thanks!

I've been able to get leftover cow tags in western Wyoming in Unit 90 consistently every year that I haven't drawn a bull tag. It used to be first come, first serve basis, but they changed that to a drawing. They don't hold that drawing for leftover cow tags until July though, so that makes planning more difficult. Pretty sure Montana is easy for non-residents to get a tag in a lot of areas.

Do you guys currently have any points in any state? Because at the current rate of point creep in some of the western states, namely Wyoming, that might be what you need to draw a general tag in that amount of time. CO has bull OTC tags for 2nd and 3rd season but your chances of harvesting an animal in those seasons on your first rifle elk hunt are going to tough, although they do have rifle cow seasons that you could draw put it'd take a few points and you'd need to know what unit you're going to want to hunt. Montana would be another option as it it doesn't take a ton of points to draw like AZ, UT or NV

Do you guys currently have any points in any state? Because at the current rate of point creep in some of the western states, namely Wyoming, that might be what you need to draw a general tag in that amount of time. CO has bull OTC tags for 2nd and 3rd season but your chances of harvesting an animal in those seasons on your first rifle elk hunt are going to tough, although they do have rifle cow seasons that you could draw put it'd take a few points and you'd need to know what unit you're going to want to hunt. Montana would be another option as it it doesn't take a ton of points to draw like AZ, UT or NV
I have 6 points in Utah, but my buddy has 0. Why would a 2nd rifle season in Colorado be hard for success?

Like Bigjav said, CO OTC 2nd and 3rd season is always an option but a lot of hunters but you can get into elk. But the 1st rifle season in CO is pretty nice, less hunters and with any luck you might hear a bugle that early, and its pretty easy to draw. Or you try New Mexico they don't have a point system so every year is anyones game.

2nd and 3rd season has a lot of folks in the woods, both hunters and recreational users especially closer to the metro areas. The bulls have usually split from the cows and are secluded and generally speaking in order for a state to have that much hunting opportunity the harvest isn't usually very high

You could also apply for a cow tag in CO with pretty likely success. Or, wait for leftover lists to come out after the draw is completed and you should also be able to pick one up.

Last year, I messed up my tag application and had to buy OTC. For the unit I hunt, there were still something like 100+ cow tags available on the leftover list, so I picked one of those up too which allowed me to take a bull with my OTC tag or a cow with the leftover tag. Alas, I took neither, but I could have taken either sex (and since they were separate tags, I could have taken two animals if I would have been so lucky/good).

Reduced price cow tags are random draw in Wyoming and take no PP. They are also additional tags so you can have a bull tag and a reduced price cow tag .
Get some PP for Wyoming and hunt a general area in 2-3 years. You can hunt others states via OTC tags until you have PP to draw.

Hey CTELK83 since you already go to Idaho why not get on of the green tags in Idaho many units dont sell out as per IDFG and are from late august to jan an feb. depending on unit

Hey CTELK83 since you already go to Idaho why not get on of the green tags in Idaho many units dont sell out as per IDFG and are from late august to jan an feb. depending on unit
Other than the 2 units I hunt I'm not really familiar with other areas. Not even sure what a "green tag" is? But I'll check it out. Buddy was looking to try another state as he has been to Idaho 2x without a tag. I'm going to start getting points in colorado and wyoming also. I'd like to someday hunt both, so why not start building points while wife still letting me sneak away for a week.every september!

I would build some points in other states for sure
The green tags are the ones to help with the damage the elk are doing to the ranchers agriculture fields , In the weiser cambridge corridor they even started a feeding program to keep the elk out of ranch fields you have to hunt within 1 mile of ag. fields
Im not sure what units you hunt they may or may not have them but since you know some areas already it may be a fun hunt and your further along on the learning curve

fellow WNY'er here. Friend and myself have gone to Colorado for the last three years. We did 3rd season the first time, and 1st rifle the last two times. Plenty of 1st rifle tags that are 100% draw there. We've done units 74, 65, and the units associated with 421. Feel free to PM with any other specific questions.

fellow WNY'er here. Friend and myself have gone to Colorado for the last three years. We did 3rd season the first time, and 1st rifle the last two times. Plenty of 1st rifle tags that are 100% draw there. We've done units 74, 65, and the units associated with 421. Feel free to PM with any other specific questions.
Would you mind if I pm you about unit 74?

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back